parting out 87 cavalier coupe - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
parting out 87 cavalier coupe
Wednesday, July 26, 2017 6:18 AM
Hi All, it's been quite some time since I have been on here. I stopped driving my '87 cavalier in 2013 due to rust issues. I see there are still 1st gen enthusiasts on here!

I had started parting out my 87 last year but at a snail's pace, holding onto the hope that I could use these parts on a future acquisition, but the time has come to move on.
The 2.2L runs good, has 140K, auto tranny also works well. I also have the original 2.0L also with 140K in inside storage since 2004. I've attached some general pictures I took last year. The interior is out but available, I have an entire matching blue set in very good condition. Local pickup at my location near Lancaster PA would be best for the big stuff.

Rear quarters, door bottoms, rockers and front windshield pinch weld are rotted out and barely worth scrap value. The trunk lid, front fenders are decent with small spots of rust, the nose and hood is in great shape. All glass is good, small chip in front windshield. Some smaller parts are already gone.

If anyone is interested in any body parts or the whole car and both engines, send me a message. I might also post some parts on ebay or CL. I have the title (I've owned it since 1993). In all likelihood however, I'm not going to hold onto it for much longer.

Thanks all!

Terry
Attachments
header panel.jpg (199k)
dash.jpg (93k)
engine.jpg (129k)
rear seat.jpg (68k)
front seats.jpg (91k)

1987 Chevrolet Cavalier 2-door coupe
with 1996 2.2L MPFI

Re: parting out 87 cavalier coupe
Wednesday, July 26, 2017 3:44 PM
I'm interested in the arm rest from both doors.
They are they blue, correct?

How much with shipping to ship to 34652?

Thanks
Thursday, July 27, 2017 7:01 AM
I've made a google drive to show some of the parts that I have photos for. As I get time, I'll upload more photos here or add on request:

Photo Album

Butch, yes they are blue. USPS has shipping ground at $13 according to their calculator.
No cracks, vinyl is in good condition. The driver's side had started separating between the foam and the vinyl at the edge against the door. I had tried to 3M glue it once but it didn't stick, so I made the galvanized bracket you see in the photos to hold it down. Photos are in the google drive link above. How does $40 for the pair with shipping sound?

with 1996 2.2L MPFI
Thursday, July 27, 2017 7:17 AM
I just realized that I should have posted this in the 'for sale' section. Is there a way to move the thread or do I just re-create it over there?

with 1996 2.2L MPFI
Thursday, July 27, 2017 8:59 AM
Terry DeTurck wrote:I just realized that I should have posted this in the 'for sale' section. Is there a way to move the thread or do I just re-create it over there?

I would re-create over there. All three generations populations are dwindling, and those that are still here probably pretty much only show up in their generation when they do come to the site. Having it here ensures it is seen by those with interest in the first gen stuff.
Thursday, July 27, 2017 3:42 PM
Well, that is a bummer.

Those arm rest are different than mine. I've got an 88 Z24 and based on the picture in your opening post thought they were the same. After seeing the pictures of them in the album, I see they are not the same after all.
Thanks for checking on the shipping and I'm sorry I can't use them. They look to be in real nice condition and the price is certainly reasonable. I have a method of fixing them if they come unglued that is done inside the rest and no evidence of the repair is apparent on the outside of them. Those would be perfect, if only they were the same type as I need. Mine have become sticky to touch. I've cleaned them a few times, however the 'sticky' feel keeps coming back after a while.
Friday, July 28, 2017 3:56 AM
butch nackley wrote:Well, that is a bummer.

Those arm rest are different than mine. I've got an 88 Z24 and based on the picture in your opening post thought they were the same. After seeing the pictures of them in the album, I see they are not the same after all.
Thanks for checking on the shipping and I'm sorry I can't use them. They look to be in real nice condition and the price is certainly reasonable...

That's ok, thanks for letting me know. I was wondering after I checked your listed collection of cars if that might be the case. I used to have a 90 cavalier, I think the 88-90 are the same but I never had a Z24.

with 1996 2.2L MPFI
Saturday, July 07, 2018 9:02 PM
I know this is an old post but figure you don't know unless you ask... Do you still have interior parts from the car or are they long gone?
Saturday, July 14, 2018 4:53 AM
Hi Matt, yes I still have parts available, most of the interior has been stored in boxes in the garage since last year. Still have some body parts too. Funny, I was just talking to my wife about hauling the body to the scrap yard last week to get it out of here...
Let me know what you need.
Terry

with 1996 2.2L MPFI
Sunday, July 15, 2018 4:37 AM
OK cool. Needing some parts for my 87 and nature of the beast being a 1980s compact they just aren't around. Looking for the following.

Driver seat belt buckle, driver seat- I saw where yours is damaged and it's 100% better than mine- I've got a 1994 cushion due to busted frame, front bumper assembly.

I saw it had cruise control. Do you still have the components? Thinking of converting mine to cruse. Also considering replacing the steering column with tilt column.

Lastly, I couldn't tell from the picture but is that a cassette radio? If so do you have it and cost?

I've already planned on having to drive to pick up parts, whether it be a salvage yard or other method since parts in Ohio are hard to come by.
Sunday, July 15, 2018 2:14 PM
I would like to purchase the front lower valance I’m in 61241
E mail me at Darrellec1@yahoo.com

Sunday, July 15, 2018 7:10 PM
Matt,
The radio is a standard AM/FM stereo, no cassette.

I do still have the bumper cover, bumper and turn signals, all in good condition. There is a small 1/2" crease in the bumper cover, above the black rub strip, just below the high and lo beam on the driver's side, I think you can see it in the 1st pic.

I have the tilt wheel, it has the delay wiper control inside, and the cruise stalk. I have to rummage thru the boxes and see if I have all the cruise components, I know I have some of them yet but not sure if all.

Both front seats are still here, the drivers side has that 1-1/2" crack in the vinyl that has been there for 20+years. The seats had covers on them until the last year I drove it. I'm not sure coupe seats are the same as the 4 door ones though- these tilt front and recline back. I also have the belts, they are black. Driver's side belt has some wear marks from daily use. I also thought the sedan belts were a bit different but I do not know for sure.

Also, if you're interested, I do have both door mirrors yet, matching set. I also have the whole working AC system, needs a new compressor and rec dryer of course - that would be a big project but do-able. I saw your post about your new-to-you wagon, that looks like a great find!

Let me know if you want some newer pics.

Terry

with 1996 2.2L MPFI
Sunday, July 15, 2018 7:15 PM
Darrell, I do have the valance yet. Not sure how to send that to IL without breaking it, I suspect shipping may be pricey because of the length. I'll check. I need to measure it first to see how big of a tube it will need to go in.

Terry

with 1996 2.2L MPFI
Monday, July 16, 2018 2:39 AM
Sounds good much appreciated
Monday, July 16, 2018 9:39 AM
Terry if you still have the rear seat , that material can be used by an upholstery shop to fix up the front seat - neat old trick that can help when the old material is impossible to find anymore.

Here is one post where we picked up some matching leather to repair my treasured Cimarron seat whenever I get around to it:

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=28&i=19166&t=19166

And here is a much older post where I broke down the same seats to replace the inner foam padding. Gives you some idea about taking the material off yourself to save you some labor costs with your upholstery shop. Everything you can do yourself saves you money and allows you to know that much of the job was done RIGHT!!

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=28&i=12995&t=12995

Tuesday, July 17, 2018 3:44 AM
Any luck figuring out shipping?
Tuesday, July 17, 2018 11:13 AM
darrell caldwell wrote:Any luck figuring out shipping?

I work lots of long hours, so please bear with me...
I don't have a box to put it in yet. I might have an antenna box that could do the trick.

I tried some calc's on the USPS web page:
It looks like shipping will be around $40 if I can get it into a 58X8X8 box and the weight stays within 2-8 lb.

I took some pictures of the valance and posted them here.

with 1996 2.2L MPFI
Tuesday, July 17, 2018 11:26 AM
Matt, I've also uploaded newer pics of some of the items here. I'll continue to update as I have time to upload more.

with 1996 2.2L MPFI
Tuesday, July 17, 2018 2:26 PM
Shipping sounds about right. Just let me know the price plus shipping and we can get together. I can do PayPal if that works for you. Nice pics. That’s the one.
Tuesday, July 17, 2018 8:11 PM
Hi Terry,

I saw the pics of the bumper and seat. The bumper looks good to me, as does the seat. I'm currently on the combination seat for my car, and that one should work fine. I can always make one good seat using parts from both. Found the mechanism isn't too hard to swap when I got the cushion from the 94. I had recently purchased the passenger mirror a couple weeks ago but still have the mismatched driver mirror. Trying to figure how the cable will mount for the driver mirror since I had the base door panels without mirror provision. Do you know how it mounted with the cable?

I'd be interested in the cruise components, as well as the a/c components depending on cost. It's upgrades I'm wanting to do on the car eventually. The main thing at the moment would be the bumper assembly, seat, steering column, and the driver seat belt w/buckle.

Mine's actually a sedan, as opposed to a wagon but I'm having a lot of fun working on it and making it mine.

Feel free to take time on prices, and checking on the a/c & cruise components. Saw your response on working lots of hours. No rush.

Thanks
Wednesday, July 18, 2018 4:51 AM
Matt Manter wrote:Trying to figure how the cable will mount for the driver mirror since I had the base door panels without mirror provision. Do you know how it mounted with the cable?

The cable actually comes out thru the triangle portion at the top of the door panel - a pic of the driver's door panel is attached. The mirror comes with a triangular stamped steel painted plate that mounts over the top of the plastic panel; this steel plate has a circular opening formed into it, and the cable clipped on and thru the backside. A single Phillips screw hold the plate onto the door shell from what I remember. I haven't dug out the mirror yet to get a picture of this plate...sorry about that. Most of this stuff is boxed up and in the back of my storage area, and being that there wasn't much interest last year when I removed most of it, these parts are now behind another whole accumulation of parts for my existing projects...

I haven't found the cruise unit yet. I thought I still had it. Must be in a box that I have not stumbled over yet.

The a/c is actually still mounted in the body and under pressure. It was switched to R134 in 2003-ish, the compressor was starting to lose compression the last year I drove it in 2013 but it doesn't leak (my experience has been that the compressors wear out in 7-10 years of regular summer use). It still blew "almost cold" air back in 2016 when I last started it. I would think a new compressor (or rebuild this one), flush, and receiver dryer and it would be good to go. It will be more involved to swap this in though - I believe you need the molded dash, all the ducts, possibly the ECM, wiring... not sure what else. I have all of it though, even the under-hood sticker for the belt routing. The black dash I have has a few cracks at the top by the passenger side defroster duct opening.

I'm off for a day next week, I hope to dig all this stuff out then if I can't get it all out before then.
I'll keep you posted!

Attachments
2018-07-18_7-24-48.png (150k)

with 1996 2.2L MPFI

Wednesday, July 18, 2018 11:54 AM
OK, thanks for the updates. I totally get things being behind other projects, been there done that haha. In no rush and appreciate what you can do, when you can do it. I'll read up on the a/c for the car. Got the 1987 Factory cavalier service manuals so I should be able to find out if it's much more involved than expected.
Wednesday, July 18, 2018 7:00 PM
darrell caldwell wrote:Shipping sounds about right. Just let me know the price plus shipping and we can get together. I can do PayPal if that works for you. Nice pics. That’s the one.

Darrell, I sent you a PM. This should be ready to go.

with 1996 2.2L MPFI
Wednesday, July 18, 2018 7:12 PM
Matt, I was able to dig thru the storage and root out all the boxes. Bad news first- cruise unit is definitely gone, all of it. Unexpected good news- i do have an am/fm stereo casssette deck for the 87, I forgot I had this one until I found it. I checked the am/fm out and it works great, I probably have a cassette around somewhere I could try if you want.
I also took more pics and added the to the same link above - mirrors, seat belts, head unit, some misc parts.
I have a picture of the triangle shaped drivers mirror piece uploaded as well.

with 1996 2.2L MPFI
Wednesday, July 18, 2018 8:39 PM
Regarding the cruise control, thanks for checking. At least the steering column has the switch. I know the interior wiring has some taped up pigtails which makes me wonder if the car might even be partially wired for cruise, for simpler integration when the time comes. As for the other pics I was able to view them. If you're able to find a cassette great, if not I'd be willing to take the chance without testing. At this point the important part is the radio actually working. I'm not too sure the remote mirror part would work on my car without swapping the entire door panel. They are similar, except the part where the cable goes through is part of the door panel from what I saw. Going to have to look at it closer tomorrow when it's daylight out. I'll also let you know what i figured out about the a/c. Didn't get a chance to look at the service manuals. As for the seat belts it looks like the only real difference is the four door model has the part that bolts to the floor has that behind the sill plate. The rest looks identical from what I saw.

Thanks for the pics and info so far!

At this point looks like I'm down for steering column, bumper, radio, driver seat belt, and driver seat. A/C and driver mirror pending more review of my car and manuals.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search