got a new car 1987z24 ,questions - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
got a new car 1987z24 ,questions
Tuesday, February 01, 2005 6:33 AM
i got a 1987 z24 from kingston ontario yesterday 91800kms on her never painted very minor surface rust nothing major but after driving it home i found few thing seems wrong

to be defrent is to be original

Re: got a new car 1987z24 ,questions
Tuesday, February 01, 2005 6:41 AM
sorry i was not done save by error .

1-rpm gauge showed 4000rpm at 120kms/h , i that normal?

2-it started staling when coming to a stop when engine was warm, what could be cosing this?

3-oil pressure gauge flashes i think it needs sending unit

4-when driving 55kms/h and letting go gas trans just kicks, like if the look up dose not disengage, 3 speed auto , could it be a problem with torque selinoid is new according to mister transmision.
almost feels like stick when you let go clutch to fast in second gear

Tuesday, February 01, 2005 8:21 PM
Ok to start if the TCC or rather torque convertor switch is gone bad the car will have irratic IDLE and cutoff or not shift properly.SO yes replace the switch at the transmission and CHANGE THE FLUID.The fluid being old and not changed will burn these switches up and cause the exact problem u have. As for the oil light I would recomm replacing the oil sending unit switch or oil pressure switch which ever u want to call it , it's probably just gone bad and what happens it grounds out and make the oil light stay ON all the time.This should resolve the problems for sure man .

Tuesday, February 01, 2005 10:11 PM
first off, check to see if your lockup is plugged in. if the vehicle had a lockup problem before, the previous owner may have just unplugged it. 4000rpm at 120km/h seems right for in 3rd gear with no lockup. now if the car isnt going into lockup (i dont think it is) it wont be a lockup solonoid cauing the stalling problem.

Wednesday, February 02, 2005 4:49 AM
on my way home yesterday engine light came on and engine started running perfectly it stop stalling and stop playing at 55kms/h i guest i have to put it on computer and see with codes or set.

Wednesday, March 02, 2005 8:22 PM
My oil guage has always been bad. I ignore it. Those digital displays always had an issue with the oil pressure guage for some reason.....

'89 Celebrity Wagon- Daisys car
'87 Z24- work car for now... "Project Sleeper" someday
'90 Formula 350 Firebird- The Beast
Wednesday, March 02, 2005 8:36 PM
As for the stalling problem check to make sure you don't have a misfire on one or more of the cylinders. It's an easy check. Then I would follow Ron and Sharkey's advice. Try to spend as little money as possible I'm not sure how much a new converter switch is but 10:1 it would be cheaper to replace a cap or rotor or even plugs.
Thursday, March 03, 2005 4:03 AM
no cap or rotor it's coil pack , fire or all good no mist fire found , can't wait for my computer to come back from the shop so i can put it on and see whats happening.
i have change the oil pressure sending unit now it works perfectly. thanks

Sunday, March 06, 2005 12:17 AM
Alright, I have an 87 z24 hatch, and I have the same oil pressure gauge problem you do. Unfortunately, this problem is common for the 87 model year, and even with a replacement sending unit you are likely to continue to experience the same problem. As for the stalling out, when I first bought my cavalier, I had that problem, I reset the computer and let it do the idle relearn , and since then all has worked fine.

~Andy
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search