3rd gen radiator? - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
3rd gen radiator?
Thursday, September 14, 2006 7:28 PM
Hey all. I'm hoping to pick up an '84 type-10 tomorrow, but it needs a radiator before I can find out if it will make it all the way back to my place. I have a spare '96 radiator that I'd like to use if possible until I can hit the yard Saturday, but I need to know if it will fit...I don't need it to bolt up, just physically fit (bungee cords will suffice for 20 miles).
Also, what's the easiest way to open the hood on these if the lever under the dash is broken?

fortune cookie say:
better a delay than a disaster.

Re: 3rd gen radiator?
Thursday, September 14, 2006 8:27 PM
only way to open the hood is to reach under the car and up towards the hood latch from the engine side of the rad support and you will feel the cable and latch.

as for the 96 rad fitting, if its for a 2.2l it may work. the biggest concern would be the inlet and outlet locations.

Thursday, September 14, 2006 9:24 PM
Go oem NEW radiator from advance or napa or auto zone.Seems to me that 3rd gens are probably different on the hose hook ups as stated above and not worth the aggravation to see if it would work with a used rad,versus a new one with a warranty and exact fit which are available.That is the route I would take go new and save the headache even if the newer 3rd gen version would fit.

Friday, September 15, 2006 6:25 AM
Well, I didn't want to shell out the $$$ for a new radiator when I'm not sure if I'm going to buy the car (it needs to run). I know the 3rd gen radiator is good because it's off my old car (it worked fine when the car died from a melted piston). Where are the inlet and outlets on the first gens? Would either of you happen to have the radiator dimensions? The 3rd gen has a bottom passenger side inlet and top driver side outlet, and measures about 31"x17".

fortune cookie say:
Friday, September 15, 2006 9:59 AM
Hey! It's OHV notec! I thought you'd fallen off the Earth. Whoda thunk you'd be here in the 1st gen forum.

Some info for ya:

Ready Rad 433673
84 Cav type-10
heavy duty cooling
Dimensions: 17" x 15 1/4" x 1 1/4"
Rows: 2
Tank Inlet: 2 3/8" x 16 7/16"
Tank Outlet: 2 3/8" x 16 7/16"
Hose Inlet: 1 5/16"; Top Left
Hose Outlet: 1 5/16"; Bottom Right
TOC: 11 1/2"
EOC:
Construction: Copper Brass
Comments: Heater Return Line & Sensor Fitting with Plugs on RH Tank

Ready Rad 433976
84 Cav type-10
Standard Cooling
Dimensions: 17" x 15 1/4" x 1"
Rows: 2
Tank Inlet: 2 3/8" x 16 1/2"
Tank Outlet: 2 3/8" x 16 1/2"
EOC:
Construction: Copper Brass
Comments: Sensor Fitting with Plug on RH Tank

Ready Rad 433977
Maximum Cooling
Dimensions: 19 5/8" x 16 1/2" x 1 1/2"
Rows: 1
Tank Inlet: 2 3/8" x 16 1/2"
Tank Outlet: 2 3/8" x 16 1/2"
EOC:
Construction: Plastic Tank Aluminum Core
Comments: Sensor Fitting with Plug on RH Tank

Ready Rad 431404
1996 Cavalier 2.2
Dimensions: 26" x 15" x 7/8"
Rows: 1
Tank Inlet: 2 1/2" x 16 9/16"
Tank Outlet: 2 1/2" x 16 9/16"
EOC:
Construction: Plastic Tank Aluminum Core
Comments: Vent Tube on RH Tank

Looks like a no-fit to me. 3rd gen part is 7 to 9 inches wider.
Part info from partsamerica.com
-->Slow
Friday, September 15, 2006 11:56 AM
Go figure, slow's got the answers no matter what the forum.
Well, bad news I guess, gotta stop by AutoZone for a radiator (cheaper than Checker Auto...same part#, and they didn't keep me on hold for 15 minutes). Add on to that the new battery and coolant and this car may cost me almost $300
Anyone have ideas as to what color I should paint it (it's black/rust right now) ? I don't want anything bright or flashy, but it has to look better than it does right now:

I'm thinking navy blue...gotta test out the new paint gun

On a side note, the machine shop just called, my block is done And Crane called saying they should be grinding my cam right about now. The '96 may need that radiator sooner than I thought Now, I just have to repalce the oil seals on the turbo...

fortune cookie say:
Friday, September 15, 2006 9:26 PM
Well the color is soley up to u.If you want to keep the car as close to stock for classic reasons like ME,I would go back to the eom color if it were me.I know sometimes the original color is less than trendy but mines factory yellow and rare at that,so when the day comes for mine to hit the the paint booth u bet ur star wheels it will be the same color.I would go back to the original to keep the car at least close to eom in appearance to at least preserve the the true gm color and the fact u took the time to keep it that way for its age.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search