Setback - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Setback
Wednesday, September 20, 2006 5:40 PM
Hello Board-

I pulled up my carpet to find I was looking at concrete under my driver side front floor pan. Any idea as to where I can get a replacement? I contacted GM with no luck. The other 3/4 of the floor is perfect.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Re: Setback
Thursday, September 21, 2006 8:43 PM
The possibility of a replacemant floor pan is probably not gonna happen.U have two choices either have some new 1/8 or 1/4 steel welded in place of ur pan or have a floor pan area cut out of a car model like urs and welded in place.U will need to have the area cleaned then have new metal welded in place since our cars are unibody if I am not mistaken.That is what I think ur only choices really are and I would do the above choices go junk yarding and get the area cut bigger than u need out so u can cut it size and welded in place .I hope this suggestion gives u some ideas even if u consider the above and did not mention it.

Friday, September 22, 2006 12:43 AM
1/4" steel would be heavy as hell... even 1/8" wouldnt be light. Ive got the same problem on a car here. I got ahold of a hood from a junk car, so Im just gonna cut out what I need and either weld it, or silicone and pop rivet it in. A little spray on undercoating and carpet and nobody will ever know the difference.

I plan on living forever... so far so good
Friday, September 22, 2006 11:45 AM
Yes, spare steel cut from a flat area such as a hood or door skin would also work. Back in the days when they didn't make reproduction parts for older cars that's what the shadetree mechanics did and it held up.

Good luck, Paul. I would be inclined to try the junkyard donor car floor myself...but that could get costly.

Friday, September 22, 2006 7:37 PM
For replacement parts I'd look at Veng or Keystone. If they don't have it then a trip to the junkyard may be in order.

-->Slow
Thursday, September 28, 2006 5:09 PM
any urls on those?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search