89 tranny, auto - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
89 tranny, auto
Wednesday, February 13, 2008 3:25 PM
I have what I'm told is a common problem, slow /mushy shift 2ed to 3rd. High mi. close t0 200,000. Is this tranny worth a re-build, or swap it out for ??
Also I have some surging when I slow down, checked every thing I could, egr , tps, air leak, etc. I'm down to a possable tcc switch, where the hell is it ? can I disconnect it to check, drive without ?

Z24, 2.8 new eng. , top, suspension, body mod on the way.

Re: 89 tranny, auto
Wednesday, February 13, 2008 3:41 PM
Not sure on the sluggish 2-3 shift...but the mileage would point to worn clutch packs & rebuild time. I'd swap a junkyard unit in with less miles. The TH125c is abundant in the salvage yards...you should be able to grab one fairly cheap.

As for the TCC, yes you can unplug it (4 prong connector in the front / side of the case) and that will tell you if your TCC is not unlocking when you step on the brake.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 3:43 PM
Could also just need a fluid & filter change. If you swap out the TCC solenoid you can drain & refill everyhing then and try to get some more miles out of yours.
Wednesday, February 13, 2008 3:46 PM
Torque Converter Clutch solenoid tells the torque converter to 'lock' so you get better mileage & lower RPMS on the highway. It should lock if the car is warmed up, over 30mph I think, and it should disengage once you step on the brake pedal. If it doesn't, usually its a bad solenoid. If its bad it will act like the car is 'still in 3rd gear' and start chugging along and possibly die out while braking.

Sorry for the multiple posts. This site needs an EDIT button on these posts.
Wednesday, February 20, 2008 9:08 AM
I had the same problem in mine then it just stopped shifting to 3rd so I'm swapping one from a local junkyard that has under100,000mi for $125(woohoo) in. Depending on the mileage you can find 'em for as cheap as $60 to as much as $200.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search