Fuel Problems? - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Fuel Problems?
Tuesday, February 15, 2005 7:42 PM

I got a problem thats got me and a couple of garages stumped..

I have a 90 Z24 , the car has been mildly modded with only a cam for internals ...
Problem is the car will idle fine ... when throttle is applied it wants to stall out, sometimes will die and then backfire through the intake.

I've changed so far ...

Ing module, Map sen, 2 new delco Fuel Pumps, throttle body, Tps sens ..

So far in troubleshooting it ... I noticed that if I pinch the return line off the fuel rail it seems to be fine, also if I spray intake clean into the throttle body it's fine. So the prob is definitely a lack of fuel ..

My next guess is the Fuel Pressure Regulator ??

Help help would be appreciated ...

thanks

Re: Fuel Problems?
Tuesday, February 15, 2005 7:51 PM
i take it u tried the fuel filter already?
Tuesday, February 15, 2005 8:03 PM

Yup ... one of the first things

I definatelty think the problem is contained within the fuel rail
Tuesday, February 15, 2005 8:56 PM
have you or any of your shop guys ran a fuel/air ratio gauge to it? find out if it's running too rich or not rich enough? backfiring like that may mean it's getting more air to fuel? hope your pistons are ok

Originality and Creativity surpasses Popularity

Wednesday, February 16, 2005 9:03 AM
I think your on the right track with the fuel pressure regulator, that would be the next thing to change, also look at the inside of the fuel rail, I've seen a few cars that get some crap in there and the motor does the same things your decscribing. I dont know how it gets in there but it happens and is something that wont cost anything to check.

Wednesday, February 16, 2005 7:57 PM
Thanks guys for the replies...

I think the both of you might be right ... before the car started running like it is now ... it was running rich , I suspect because of the cam and a few other goodies ..

I am going to change the FPR and inspect the rail well, good to know Tyrin that you've heard about stuff getting clogged in there, because that was actually what I think is happening along with the possibility of the FPR ... just have to change it and find out..

=) Thanks again !
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search