3.1 wiring harness - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
3.1 wiring harness
Friday, February 18, 2005 6:00 PM
i was gonna rebuild a 3.1 v6 i had in a parts car ive got the complete wiring harness out of the car and i noticed that the car im taking the motor out of doesent have abs brakes, but the car im putting the motor in does. I am wanting to use the complete motor harness and the harness for the headlights, cause someone tried to splice into my headlight wires. So what would i do to make the wiring harness work on the abs system. Also i was getting a performance cam for the motor and i was wandering if anyone had this cam. ive got a 5 speed manual so i won't have to worry about a stall converter.

here is the link for the cam:
http://www.powerandperformancenews.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=CL16-233-4&Store_Code=CC

Re: 3.1 wiring harness
Friday, February 18, 2005 7:52 PM
The way I see it, you have two options-
1- add whatever wires need to be added to the harness, which would include adding some pins in the ECM connectors.

2- mix and match the two harnesses. Replace what you need to in the original one with good parts from the donor one.

Either way, its alot of work. I would just forget about the ABS altogether.

Friday, February 18, 2005 11:08 PM
if it were me, id just ditch the abs all together. but if you realy want to keep it, either you will have to splice the 2 harnesses together, or get a harness from an abs car.

that cam is a very good cam. its great for performance, you will still have decent gas mialage, and will still be able to pass emmisions testing (if you have that in your area). a lot of people use that cam and are very happy with it.

Saturday, February 19, 2005 4:17 PM
thanks for the help, i think i will just do away with the abs. how do i do that. do i just unplug the abs thing connected to the master cylinder or is there more stuff you have to do. cause i was reading in a book in my auto mechanics class that said abs had speed sensors and a bunch of other stuff. there is also a wire running from the abs box on the master cylinder up to a box on the firewall. is that box just for abs or does it run other things. here is a picture of the box im talking about on the firewall.

here is the box im talking about on the master cylinder

Saturday, February 19, 2005 5:23 PM
The one in the firewall is the ABS computer. The thing on the master cylinder is the ABS motor.

If you want to get rid of it completely, you will need to use the master cylinder from your donor car to get rid of the motor. You don't have to do that, but it looks better. You can simply unplug everything else. There is a tube going to the computer in the big connector pin 18. I have no idea where it goes to, but I'm guessing to a vacuum tee somewhere in the engine compartment. You will have a very tiny vacuum leak if you don't plug it. But since you'll be using the non-ABS harness, it shouldn't be there. You can leave all the speed sensors where they are if you want. The rear ones are built into the bearing, so the only way to remove those it to swap bearings.

Saturday, February 19, 2005 7:34 PM
now all ive got to do is get the motor out of the parts car. and then i have to put a crank kit in cause someone run the car low of oil and had disconnected the oil sending unit so it is seized. what is the easiest way to take a motor out , ive never took a motor out of a front wheel drive car, i'm used to the rear wheel drive v8 cars. i bought the manual for the car and ive removed everything it said except the axles. ive already done a v6 radiator conversion on my 4cyl so thats one less thing i have to do.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search