Sunbird shift Problems - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Sunbird shift Problems
Monday, February 21, 2005 11:15 AM
i have a 93 Sunbird 2.0L 5 SPEED and when i was drivin down the road it got stuck into 3rd gear but the shifter still moves from 3 to 4th but it doesn't go in to 4th and i can't move it side to side just up and down anybody know what might be wrong?

Re: Sunbird shift Problems
Monday, February 21, 2005 1:52 PM
could be a cable

does it go into gear(s) when the car is stopped and turned off?
did it have any grinding before this happend, or did it slowly start getting hard to shift?

WARNING: I bring nothing to the table.

Monday, February 21, 2005 2:00 PM
no it doesn't go into gears at all the shifter it self doesn't move except up and down between 3rd and 4th. it was never hard to shift the gears before.
Monday, February 21, 2005 2:26 PM
check your shift cable to make sure its not bound up. should be the one on the right of the shifter if i remember correctly. while you have it off, move the selector around on the tranny to make sure its going into gear

WARNING: I bring nothing to the table.

Monday, February 21, 2005 7:51 PM
It sounds like the end of the cable came off.

Tuesday, February 22, 2005 9:37 AM
i agree that its the shift cable, that happened to me, i have a 3.1 5 spd, and i was always snatching gears then one day i couldn't get out of 3rd. and it was a pain to try to shift so i pulled off the shift cable and i had tore some of the steel lines in it. your problem sounds just like mine. be sure to check it out.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search