Stuck on the sway bar! - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Stuck on the sway bar!
Monday, March 28, 2005 12:34 PM
Hey guys,

Newbie here. I was hoping to introduce myself with some photos of my suspension and brake upgrade, but the front sway bar has me bogged down and I need some help.

Of all things to get stuck on too. Springs, struts, and knuckles were difficult for me, but doable. Thanks to sites like this.

I don't have enough clearance to remove the sway bar brackets and can't seem to work around it. Do I have to remove the lower suspension supports in order to replace the sway bar? And if so, how do I support everything above it?

Car: 90 cav 2.2

Re: Stuck on the sway bar!
Monday, March 28, 2005 2:06 PM
i removed one on a saturn SL2 once... (91) and it was a bitch. we had the car on a lift too. its basicly alot of giggeling around and slideing. you may wanna drop the control arms. that could make it easier.

Monday, March 28, 2005 2:18 PM
Dropping the suspension supports helps a good bit. Of Course we did it with the engine and transmission out so what do I know.

95 Cobra
Check out my site
Monday, March 28, 2005 4:52 PM
Quote:

. . . and it was a bitch

Thanks . . . at least I know it's not just me.
Monday, March 28, 2005 5:19 PM
Just unbolt the rear of the cradle, it will swing down far enough to pull it out. I've done it. And since you've done the brake upgrade, it's a good time to do it as you'll be getting your front-end aligned. If you already have had the alignment done, you should still be fine..
Monday, March 28, 2005 9:37 PM
Brandon Beck wrote:Just unbolt the rear of the cradle, it will swing down far enough to pull it out. I've done it. And since you've done the brake upgrade, it's a good time to do it as you'll be getting your front-end aligned. If you already have had the alignment done, you should still be fine..

Exactly. And the only bolts that affect alignment are the two on the knuckle.

Tuesday, March 29, 2005 12:09 PM
Quote:

Just unbolt the rear of the cradle, it will swing down far enough to pull it out.

Sounds simple. Any need to support the engine? I've got the front end up on jack stands.
Tuesday, March 29, 2005 4:44 PM
Pearlchaser wrote:
Quote:

Just unbolt the rear of the cradle, it will swing down far enough to pull it out.

Sounds simple. Any need to support the engine? I've got the front end up on jack stands.

The engine is not attached to the subframe at all other than the dogbone to the transmission, and you don't need to remove it either. just remove the rear bolts and middle bolts, and loosen the front bolts, it will drpo down enough to remove the bar.

Tuesday, March 29, 2005 9:07 PM
Excellent! Thanks for the help.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search