bending/moulding plastic? - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
bending/moulding plastic?
Wednesday, March 16, 2005 1:09 PM
Anyone have any good tricks or tips on how to shape and cut plastic like material, like plexiglass and that stuff that covers florecent lights?
I have some of that florecent (sp?) light covering stuff I'm going to make clear corners out of but I cant cut it without breaking it and I need to curve it for my corner lenses. Also I am making my car into a T top and I'm thinking of using plexiglass or something for the glass but I need a way to shape it to the conture of he roof so it dosent look like $hit.
And does anyone have any sugestions on what I should use for the glass on the roof? I was thinking plexiglass but if anyone has any other ideas.......

Re: bending/moulding plastic?
Wednesday, March 16, 2005 7:01 PM
Actually I just thought of a good idea......What would happen if I placed the "window material" on the roof were I wanted it and used a heat gun on it until the "material" melted down to the contur of the roof. The only problem I can see with this is plexi glass might fog up after its heated to much, wont it? I think it will, does anyone know for sure.
So I need a clear material thats pretty strong and can be formed without fogging up if I heat it. Or if anyone knows any other way to form a clear window like material I'd really apreciate your input
thanks in advance.

Monday, March 21, 2005 4:02 PM
well i know some guy in v6z24 forum did clear headlights with plexiglass lenses, it might be an idea to peek in there and look around for that, L8r

"I live my life a quarter mile at a time..." "for those ten seconds or less I'm free"
Monday, March 21, 2005 8:57 PM
ok for the corners rotozip them or just cut them(it doesnt have to be perfect i used cracked ice styrene so the cracking where i cut with scissors blended right in) as for the roof your gonna need a piece of glass or gonna have to get a custom molded piece of plastic if you try to mold it yourself your just gonna discolor it, go to a decent plastic shop take your idea to them ask them to mold one for you if they will, if not go to a junkyard find glass that will work and mold it in)

wicked
Monday, March 21, 2005 9:20 PM
I dunno bout the plexi... personally I think over time it'll turn out bad. need to go with real glass buddy. maybe you can an entire T-top frame to weld in, from another model that had T's and use the glass that comes with that... or have you already thought about that? either way, I think you'd be better off using real glass material rather than plexi.

Originality and Creativity surpasses Popularity

Tuesday, March 22, 2005 9:10 AM
Yeah, I thought about putting in t tops from another car but its hard to find a car with a similar roof line to our cars that came factory with a t top, but I have been looking. The only reason I wanted to use plexiglass or something similar is cause its really strong and I never have to worry about it being smashed or something, but I will use glass if I find a t top that will fit in there good.

Sunday, March 27, 2005 4:42 PM
well i have an '86 turbo-z daytona w/ t-tops and the roof lines are almost identical to that of my cavy however my cavy is a 4 door as yours is a 2-door. i don't know if theres a difference or not . personally your best bet would be going to the bone yard and pulling the glass off of a t top monte carlo , daytona or possibly a firebird and cut your roof to fit the glass you acquired. just my 2 cents

People say that what doesn't kill you in this life
will make you stronger. I'm not sure if that is true
or not, but i do know one thing-You have to learn from
it and it has to make you better.......it has to.......

Monday, March 28, 2005 4:54 PM
do the t top daytonas have a piece of roof that go down the middle of the tops that you can see with the tops on? thats the style I want, not just two pieces of glass on each side touching and having a post down the middle with the tops off. Its hard to explain, I'll try to find pics if I get bored later, thatnks for the tip on the daytona, I know a guy whos a real dodge guy and he has tons of EEK's (daytona, shadow, K car etc..) in his backyard, I'll see what hes got

Monday, March 28, 2005 5:39 PM
yes the daytonas have the center piece down the middle and it is visible w/ the tops on. i know what you're getting at but i'm having a hard time explaining it. i seen lots of t-top daytonas at the boneyard today so i know the r out the at least in my area. would be the ideal size for a cavi in my honest opinion

People say that what doesn't kill you in this life
will make you stronger. I'm not sure if that is true
or not, but i do know one thing-You have to learn from
it and it has to make you better.......it has to.......

Tuesday, March 29, 2005 4:32 PM
Do you have a T top daytona? if so could you take some measurments for me when you have some time? I just need to know how wide the roof is on a daytona from the left glass to the right glass and how wide the galss is from front to back.

Tuesday, March 29, 2005 6:14 PM
http://www.grmotorsports.com/board/index.php

Has alot of good info on DIY plexiglass work. Alot of the people there have made panels for there own windows. Do a search there. Or shoot me a message on AIM later (about to run to class now) I think have some of the better threads bookmarked possibly somewhere.

95 Cobra
Check out my site

Wednesday, March 30, 2005 9:36 AM
Hey I'm alreay a member there, lol I havent been there in a while though so I must have missed that thread.
I found a glass shop a few blocks from my house today, lol I havent been in there yet, I was on my way to school and I saw the stickers in the window that say the make custom glass for a huge list of things one being older custom cars, chopped tops etc.. So I'm going to swing by there soon and see how much it is to do my roof.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search