engine stalls when put in gear - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
engine stalls when put in gear
Wednesday, March 30, 2005 1:06 PM
Hey everybody, it's been awhile since I've posted on here.

But I've got a problem, yesterday on my way home I pulled up to a stop sign and my car stalled out. So I put it in neutral and strart it up but when I put it in drive it stops again. It would rev up fine in park and neutral but when I would put it in any gear it would just stop. So I was getting pretty pissed off because I was only a couple of minutes from home. I finally got it to go when I put it in neutral reved the hell out of it and poped it in gear. Any ideas?

Re: engine stalls when put in gear
Wednesday, March 30, 2005 1:22 PM
TCC Lockup Solenoid. Do a search, find out how to fix.

-----------------------
1997 Cavalier Z24
1992 Cavalier Z24 - *RIP*
"I consistently feel like something's missing out of the new cavvy. I'm pretty sure its 2 cylinders."
Wednesday, March 30, 2005 5:07 PM
So I did a search, I think I diconected the right connector. It's a blue connector on the drivers side, on top of the transmission right under the air filter...it has 4 plugs but only 2 wires, what's up with that? That is the right plug isn't it?

Wednesday, March 30, 2005 5:32 PM
It sounds like you might have figured it out already, but if it turns out to be something else, I would check all of your vacuum hoses. There is a censor right against your firewall that has a mix of hard plastic hoses and rubber hoses. If there is the smallest leak your car will do wierd things, like stall for no reason, and act like its running out gas, it would be good to have a diagram to tell you where all the hoses lead, I figured this out the hard way. Anyways this worked for me.
Wednesday, March 30, 2005 5:48 PM
Um..okay...you searched and found the easy way to do this, not the right way. If you're Torque Converter is locking up at speed...good...its supposed to do that on highway driving. If it doesn't, then you'll get pretty crappy gas mileage. Even simpler, go to V6Z24.com and look up the how-to on replacing the solenoid. It doesn't take very long at all, especially if you got all the right tools. $20 and an about an hour in repairs will save you big time gas money later.

-----------------------
1997 Cavalier Z24
"I consistently feel like something's missing out of the new cavvy. I'm pretty sure its 2 cylinders."
Wednesday, March 30, 2005 6:21 PM
Yea, I saw the how-to on v6z24.com...that's how I found out where the solenoid is at. I just went ahead and unpluged it because I've got to get to Autozone somehow. I plan on replacing it but I wanted to make sure that was the right plug(is it?). Thanks for all the help.
Wednesday, March 30, 2005 8:36 PM
You should be able to get to a car parts place. The TCC will only lock up if you've been in third gear for a few minutes. If you're going slower than that the torque converter won't lock up. The car should start and run fine after its cooled down and the converter unlocks on its own, so as long as you're not on the highway or going above 50 or so MPH, you can get it wherever you'd like. And yes, if you pulled the plug that's beneath the airbox and on the very top the the transmission (blue plastic thingy) you've unplugged the Lockup, but I don't know why you'd need that unless you have to take the highway to get to a car parts place.

Oh yeah, make sure you grab a quart or two of tranny fluid and call ahead to make sure they have the vavle body cover gasket in addition to Solenoid. Its very easy, even easier than that step-by-step guide on V6z24 leads you to believe. Just some bolts, 2 wires, and plug the new solenoid in. Make sure you jack up the motor a few inches to reach that bottom bolt, too. You'll know what I mean when you get there.

-----------------------
1997 Cavalier Z24
Wednesday, March 30, 2005 8:51 PM
Go slower than 50mph? I don't think that's possible...

Thanks for all the help.
Thursday, March 31, 2005 6:14 AM
Compared to what I'm driving now, I'd say its very possible on a 2nd Gen.

-----------------------
1997 Cavalier Z24
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search