lol.. 2nd Gen 2.2L oil filler cap? - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
lol.. 2nd Gen 2.2L oil filler cap?
Sunday, April 17, 2005 11:28 AM
hey all. ok this question is pretty stupid. i have been dealing with 2.0L Sunbirds since i was around 17. i'm 23 now. so i guess i'm moving up in life, got a 94 Cavalier 2.2L i am working on. so great, got my rocker panels just need to get them welded on, started some minor body touch-ups, etc. now what u would think would be the EASIEST thing to do (check the oil.. which a monkey can do) i cannot figure out how to get the cap off. the filler neck. the dipstick is in the cap, one direction points adn says ON, the other arrow points the opposite direction that says OFF. duh, how hard can that be. well i dont feel too smart, because when i turned it to OFF, it wouldnt come off. i couldnt pull it off, i couldnt turn it anymore to come off. so what am i doing wrong? lol. how does this stupid cap come off? i did not get the manual with the car. but i do plan on buying the shop manual in the future.

so if ANYONE knows how this thing comes off please bring me up to speed! and try not to laugh too hard, i just dont wanna turn it or pull too hard and break the filler neck off:S

thanks. sorry for being a moron, i never did anything with a 2.2L before.. the major stuff is very much the same as the 2.0, but the smaller details are throwing me off a bit

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/682845/ <=== my '91 Sunbird LE 2.0 4cyl

COMING SOON.. '94 Cavalier 2.2L Z-Wannabee (in progress)

Re: lol.. 2nd Gen 2.2L oil filler cap?
Sunday, April 17, 2005 11:41 AM

All you have to do is turn it to the right, it'll turn maybe a quarter turn, then you can pull it strait out.
Sunday, April 17, 2005 11:50 AM
haha. yea it probably wasnt off in awhile. i started er once, he said the oil was just changed.. but i'd rather find out for myself.

man i feel so stupid, lol. i tried pulling it out before but it is probably stuck on there pretty good.

thank you Wraith

Sunday, April 17, 2005 12:06 PM
crazykev81 wrote:haha. yea it probably wasnt off in awhile. i started er once, he said the oil was just changed.. but i'd rather find out for myself.

man i feel so stupid, lol. i tried pulling it out before but it is probably stuck on there pretty good.

thank you Wraith

i would say use some pbblaster or lithium grease on the cap.. but u wanna change ure oil then and there cause u dont want either in your engine oil

Sunday, April 17, 2005 1:16 PM
yeah true dat. i'll grease up the cap and see what happens

Sunday, April 17, 2005 4:12 PM
this is like the funniest newbie question ever. lol.

Sunday, April 17, 2005 6:44 PM
Maybe funny newbie question, maybe not.

The O ring on that cap gets really tough over time... rock solid. If it breaks or won't seal, some people try to replace the O ring on the cap with one from a generic O ring selection. It doesn't work well. The cap can get really stuck in there, and no amount of grease will keep it from getting stuck again. I've seen it before in the garage.

Pull hard, maybe with channel locks!

-->Slow
Sunday, April 17, 2005 8:58 PM
SunValier whats ur problem man. i post about a 94 project car, u make some stupid comment about your 90 parts car being better. i dont like it. its not anything close to what i want as a final result. i ask a simple f*** question and u flame me for it.
maybe i just dont want to break the filler neck off the block? keep on making ur stupid comments tho.
thanks to the other guys for replying to my post.

Sunday, April 17, 2005 9:14 PM
ok, imma break in here right away before this gets escaladed.... calm down guys. it's all in good fun with a serious background. from time to time all of us have asked some pretty stupid questions and we ALL know that a project is exactly that... a PROJECT until it's complete. so let's not lose our tempers or dignity for that matter cause we're all family in here.

NOW SEE I HAD TO WASTE A F*CKING POST TO F*CKING MEDIATE AND BS SO YOU TWO BETTER CALMETH!!!!!

my peace is said.

Originality and Creativity surpasses Popularity

Sunday, April 17, 2005 9:14 PM
easy dude... easy... i got no problem. i was just humored by the question.

tell me... if i came here and posted...

how do i get the oil filler off, would u not laugh yourself?

i didn't flame you for it. i just said it had to be the best newbie question ever.

Sunday, April 17, 2005 9:38 PM
if i knew the answer to my own question, why would i post it?
all my 2.0's had the cap right on the valve cover. nothing really to break there if you clamp on and pull it too hard. the 2.2 has the filler neck attached to the block down the bottom, and if you put too much pressure on it in a way it is not supposed to be pulled / turned / whatever, it looks like u can actually break the whole thing off which i didnt want to do. yeah the body is crap at the moment, but it's running on all 4 cyls which is always a plus.

Sunday, April 17, 2005 9:40 PM
yeah i might laugh, but u never know.. maybe it is really stuck on there. the car sat for almost 4 months before i finally got it here.

but yea i would find that funny also. i take things personally sometimes, lol.

Monday, April 18, 2005 2:41 AM
i dunno if u can break it off... the plastic is pretty thick and the dip stick is centered... nothing for the dip stick to catch on to hold it down... unlike cars with seperate dipsticks... if u break it, its cause that thin ass tube is holding the stick while ure pullin on the plastic....

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search