couple of ? - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
couple of ?
Tuesday, April 19, 2005 8:45 AM
just need to know which spark plugs and wires to get. thanks in advance.

Re: couple of ?s
Tuesday, April 19, 2005 9:10 AM
also what are some good struts. i only see kybs and koni for the rears and the koni rears are adjustable do they make any struts thats as good as koni for the front.
Tuesday, April 19, 2005 1:19 PM
I'll let the guru's answer the plug and wire question, but think AC Delco.

As for the struts, I can tell you that KYBs are 10x better than stock. A friend of mine even uses them for rally races (on his toyota) on some of the toughest tracks I've ever seen. He placed first in the Rim of the World Race last year, so you know he's putting them though hell.
Tuesday, April 19, 2005 6:48 PM
plugs are really your call, but I suggest Delco Rapidfires.

struts and shocks, I suggest KYB, but I'm biast. but you will notice the difference I promise you.

Originality and Creativity surpasses Popularity

Thursday, April 21, 2005 8:44 AM
how about the konis in the rear and kyb in the front is that a good combination
Thursday, April 21, 2005 8:53 AM
no, different dampeninig rates...

1st 1st gen on air.....
Thursday, April 21, 2005 8:55 AM
here's a how to on how to install 3rdgen yellows in a 1st/2ndgen

Purchase Koni Yellow front inserts from wherever you choose. I bought mine from carcustoms. Major props to Karo for giving me a good price and exchanging 32 emails with me to work out the various problems with the order (most my fault :oops! They went to a good cause! Don't forget your rears from Tirerack aswell before they run out!

Special thanks to Gus of BCJ-Body for discovering that the 3rd gen inserts basically fit in the 2nd gen housing. And for the idea to fix problem number 1.

Special thanks to my Dad aswell for coming up with the solution to problem number 2. And for taking apart my front suspension so many freaking times!

Refer to Cinny's Koni Installation Guide if you do not know how to hack up your front strut housing.

[size=18]Addressing problem number 1

The threads on the Koni inserts are too short. So we are going cut the spacer to make room.

Remove the spacer from the mount.

Cut it in half. About 7/8" from either side.

This is what you should get.

Put the smaller peice back into the mount. Don't forget to de-bur the piece you cut!

We now have enough threads for the washer and nut to hold on to.

The only con from this that can be seen is that there is less rubber between the spacer and the mount. So more noise may occur from hitting hard bumps in the road than before. Chances are most of you have atleast 17" rims so bumps are already noisy. :lol:

[size=18]Addressing problem number 2

Movement of the insert inside the strut housing will cause lots of klunking while driving. You will also never be able to get a proper alignment done. Toe and camber will constantly move around.

Purchase two small peices of 2" OD / 1 7/8" ID exhaust tubing. We will be making a spacer to stop the insert from moving around.

Cut 1/4" inch out of the exhaust tubing. You can probably cut less. 3/16" outta do it. I don't think 1/8" will be enough. You will see why two pictures down.

Powered cutting tools make the work easier.

With a small peice cut out, you can now close the piece of tubing around the koni insert.

You have now made your spacer! Probably less the 0.001" of movement in it. i.e. It fits perfect!

A little bit of grease on the inside and outside for easier insertion and rust prevention.

Rubber sleeve to cover it all up.

Voila! You are done. Now assemble your front suspension as normal. You will now have a 2nd Generation Cavalier with front Koni Yellow Suspension! With the rears installed aswell the ride is amazing. Kiss those KYB GR-2's goodbye!

1st 1st gen on air.....
Friday, April 22, 2005 10:49 AM
thanks for the info but ithink i might take the easy way out.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search