2.2 and 3.1 flywheels - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.2 and 3.1 flywheels
Wednesday, June 01, 2005 8:49 PM
i can't remember and searched but are the 2.2 and 3.1 clutch and flywheel assembly's the same because i have a brand new 2.2 set i wanna install on my 3.1

cavaliers been laid to rest
The saturn is being born
a new cavalier is in the mist

Re: 2.2 and 3.1 flywheels
Thursday, June 02, 2005 2:42 PM
Nope. The 3.1 is bigger by just over an inch.

Friday, June 03, 2005 12:11 AM
any idea where i can get a good clutch? i went to bully's site and i guess they don't sell them but some webistes do i check out a few but couldn't find anything. anyone got a link ?

The saturn is being born
Friday, June 03, 2005 7:21 AM
The flywheels are the same

Saturday, June 04, 2005 1:06 PM
yeah they would have to be the starter is the same part number

Saturday, June 04, 2005 2:17 PM
The same starter # only tells you that the flywheel diameter and number of teeth may be the same. There could be differences like # of bolt holes, or bolt hole diameter, or diameter of locating hole in center, or thickness , or offset from crank flange surface, or diameter and number of holes to mount the clutch, or total mass of flywheel, or even balancing.

I wasn't sure if James was referring to the flywheel or the clutch, so I did some online research. Using partsamerica.com and looking parts up for a 91 Cavvy, the 6 cyl and 2.2 flywheels are the same. It appears that the 2.2 clutch is smaller by 1" dia, 8 1/2" vs 9 1/2" for the 3.1 part. You could probably save some cash and use the smaller clutch on your v6, but I wouldn't expect it to handle as much abuse.

hth

-->Slow
Saturday, June 04, 2005 5:14 PM
we'll i am trying to find something to stand the abuse of my tgp motor,i know the stock clutch won't last a burnout,but i need something. i'm hopeing to have 275 h/p all ni know of is bully and can't find where to get them, any other good clutches anyone knows?

The saturn is being born
Sunday, June 05, 2005 9:55 AM
You didn't say you wanted something stronger than stock. You said you wanna use the 2.2 parts. If you'd asked the second question first, I would have said spec clutches work well.

-->Slow
Sunday, June 05, 2005 1:30 PM
I was talking about the clutches. The cool part is that the spline diameter and count is the same, so either clutch should work with your trans. Like slow said, the any 3.1 clutch will probably handle more than any 2.2 you could find.

Sunday, June 05, 2005 7:54 PM
yah i know the reason i asked the first question first was because i wanted to use the 2.2 flywheel because its brand new and then i was gonna get a stronger clutch.sorry bout the mix up. thanks again tho for the help

The saturn is being born
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search