auto to 5spd?? - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
auto to 5spd??
Friday, June 03, 2005 11:15 PM
Hey, i was just wondering if anyone has done the conversion from auto to 5 spd and how much of a pain it was. I just bought a 91 RS 3.1 2dr 5spd for $200, and i wanna do the conversion, unless its a pain, then i'll fix the 2 door. if anyone has done this, could you let me know? thanks

Re: auto to 5spd??
Saturday, June 04, 2005 7:04 AM
I've done it a few times and its easy, I've never done it in a J yet but I plan to
Just drop the tranny and throw the new one in change the shifter and cables and swap out the brake pedal for a skinnier pedal and clutch pedal. its a pretty strit foreward swap no custom work at all, the only read pain is you have to take half the interior apart to get at the shifter. The only problem I can see you haveing is theres a wire that goes to the clutch that makes sure you cant start the car when the clutch isnt down, in a auto that wire goes to the shifter in the middle I think, You'll have to look at a wiring diagram and get it all figured out, its not that big of a deal, I think if you just ground it you dont have to worry about it but again I'm not 100%on any of this wiring stuff cause I've never done it to a J.

Saturday, June 04, 2005 7:48 AM
I say customize the 2-door!!!!!!

Originality and Creativity surpasses Popularity

Saturday, June 04, 2005 9:20 AM
Saturday, June 04, 2005 10:44 AM
i'd like to know how to swap the pedals... that guide just said to do it, you'd need to cut some carpet and insulation... (both on the 5 speed and Automatic)...

Saturday, June 04, 2005 12:38 PM
Yeah I did this swap a couple of years ago, definitely worth it

Saturday, June 04, 2005 2:00 PM
James Cahill posted some nice pics and info in the transmission forum.
Good reading

-->Slow
Saturday, June 04, 2005 8:51 PM
cool, thanks for the info guys.....i just wondered cause there isn't a single 3.1 5spd 4 door around my area..and i don't even know if they make them...so i thought id be different even if its just around here.
Sunday, June 05, 2005 5:28 PM
Yep it was all standard equipment to get the 5spd transmission however of course most people opted for the auto transmission which means there aren't many 3.1 5spd 4 doors around, more common in the phase 2 style, i've only seen one '90 4 door v6 5spd and I haven't seen an '89 2.8 4 door 5spd, no 88's because '88 4 doors weren't available with a v6. I don't have a 3.1 5spd anymore though

Tuesday, June 07, 2005 7:35 PM
you'll also need to change out a couple of mounting brackets for the engine.
handily enough, shift cables fit snugly through the hole used for the auto cable (grommets are our friends!).
the most annoying part, imo, is hanging the clutch pedal. pull up the carpet under the dash back there and look at the black, rubbery liner. bring a flashlight. i could swear i saw some little stars on that liner that were *very* close to where i ended up mounting the pedal assembly.
...noticed a couple of days too late, unfortunately.
oh, and you'll need to change your axles a bit, as well.
all told, the change isn't the worst thing out there, but be ready to curse a little, mkay?

Have you seen the turbo wagon?

14.069 @ 98.91mph
229.1hp & 261.7ft/lbs @ 6psi
no tuning time
Saturday, June 11, 2005 5:04 PM
I'm in the middle of a 5 speed swap right now. It's fun lemme tell ya!

Sunday, June 12, 2005 2:42 PM
I just bought a 91 Z, and I'm gonna most likely do a 5 speed swap... How long do you think it takes approximately? Something a couple people could get done in a day or is it gonna take a few?

Sunday, June 12, 2005 9:03 PM
just from the sounds of it, i'm gunna be without a car for a little bit lol
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search