Rear suspension concerns? - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Rear suspension concerns?
Sunday, June 12, 2005 1:20 PM
Just the other day I replaced the two rear shocks on my 94 Sunbird with KYB's and after I had it done and I was sizing it up afterwards... I noticed that the rear wheels appear to be tilting inwards at the top and out on the bottow. But when the rear of the car is off the ground, they look fine.

Did I do something wrong with the new shocks or does something else need to be replaced now too? I was thinkin it could be my springs because the rear of the car saggs a bit already.

What do you guys think?

Jamie

Re: Rear suspension concerns?
Sunday, June 12, 2005 1:59 PM
Its fine, theres nothing to worry about all cars are designed to do that on all tires. Its at an angle so when it gets set down and the suspension compresses the wheel will straighten up and be fine, the further the car gets lower the more the wheels bow in at the top, thats why you need camber kits with some droop kits if the drop is too much.
But you didnt do anything wrong that just the way it is, the fronts do the same thing.

Sunday, June 12, 2005 2:06 PM
tyrin has problem reading posts.
Yeah i'd be concerned. Your wheel bearings are probably shot. Check those out first. If they are good your axel might be bent. The shocks will not change your camber.

Sunday, June 12, 2005 6:01 PM
I can guarantee the problem has nothing to do with the shocks, as pezed already said, because you have a trailing beam suspension. It just so happened that you noticed it after you did your shocks. Definetely check the bearing, but it could be as simple as not having all the lug nuts tight.

Monday, June 13, 2005 12:04 PM
Sorry, I thought you were saying they tilted the other way (out at the top), if there in at the top when in the air you have wheel bearing issues for sure. I just got confuzzled with which way it was leanning and you never said how much in it was.

Monday, June 13, 2005 5:05 PM
Well I jacked the car up today on the side that looks the worst to check the wheel bearing and in my opionion everything looked & felt okay when I tried rocking the tire from top to bottom. So next, I took off the tire and drum, then spun the center hub and it never seamed to move "really good" I mean sure it moved allright but it didn't keep spinning much...

I dont know if this is any more help to you guys or not. I'm gonna try and get the car in the garage tomorrow anyways to see what they tell me. I'll let you now what I find out.

My only question now is do you guys think it could still be the wheel bearing even tho it doesnt appear all that bad? I mean it doesnt even make a racket (like I thought a bad bearing would)

Tuesday, June 14, 2005 5:04 PM
Well guys here's the news.. (and it isn't good)

Brought the car to the garage today and as the guy was finding a spot to jack the car with ramp arms, he was commenting on how good of shape the undercarriage was in.
Anyways, sizing up the rear control arms and the rear axle... we were both shocked. Both control arms are about to crack off the friggin car anyday now.
Here are some pics I took at home later on

So today I picked up another rear assembly off a 94 4dr Cav thats appears to be nice and solid. Please dont tell me that it wont work?

Tuesday, June 14, 2005 6:48 PM
"Yeah it will fit fine, just make sure you swap over your sway bar to it. most 4dr's dont come with one. Never seen one rust like that.

Tuesday, June 14, 2005 7:01 PM
Jeezuz thats nasty!!!

Wednesday, June 15, 2005 5:37 PM
holy crap

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/828063
Wednesday, June 15, 2005 5:59 PM
holy leaning tower of pizza batman.

best you found out now and not in the ditch.
(I personally wouldn't have driven it like that)

Originality and Creativity surpasses Popularity

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search