3400 swap into 94 cav help - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
3400 swap into 94 cav help
Thursday, January 05, 2006 1:56 PM
K heres the situation, i don't exactly know where to go to find info, so i started a new topic...

i was givin a totalled 99 olds alero coupe with the 3400 series...i have a 94 z24 cavalier...

how hard is the swap to do, and where can i find information on doing it? i will be doing all the work myself so any info would be appreciated...

also, can i put a gtp blower on it? or are the motors not boost friendly stock, because i would like to be in the 13 second range... any insight on what i should do would be greatly appreciated, and since i didn't have to pay for the motor or tranny, i have a lil extra money to do other stuff, so suggestions are welcome...

Re: 3400 swap into 94 cav help
Thursday, January 05, 2006 2:52 PM
Friday, January 06, 2006 8:02 PM
13 sec range lol

with a direct swap your already looking at low 14sec

mild mods (intake exaust and proly some tuning ) =13s with no boost

Saturday, January 07, 2006 10:16 AM
Distant Reality wrote:Go to the Domestic Crew site.

you should send him here:

Sunday, January 08, 2006 7:53 PM
i did a 3400 swap on my 89 z24.......with stock engine with headers , good exaust system, and cold air intake my car runs low 14s high 13s in the quarter mile.....gtp supercharger will not bolt up to the sfi 3400.....the 3400 is a 60 degree engine and the 3.8 gtp engine is based off of a 90 degree block .....the 3.4 with almost bolt right up , but the electrical is a totaly different story if u are very good with electronics or have enough mony to pay some one to do it ..go for it ........3.4 with a 5 speed getrag is a strong combination
Monday, January 09, 2006 12:54 PM
Also poke around on www.fiero.nl, a lot of guys swap in the 3400 or the camaro 3.4 L into the Fieros (OK, mostly the Camaro 3.4. Mostly the same, but older). It's effectively the same block, on the fieros, you can even use all the fiero dress-up parts and electronics. Do some searching in the Technical Discussions & Questions section.

So really, I see that as very feasible, especially with the Alero 3400 (I'm assuming that since it's out of another FWD that the starter location and all that stuff will be right). With the RWD 3.4L out of the camaro, at least for the Fiero, the starter is on the wrong side, so a new mount hole has to be drilled on the other side of the block (it already has the tab for it).

I KNOW that I've seen another J with a camaro 3.4 in it....it was pretty wicked, just don't remember the site (DOH!).

-------------------------------------------------
Sleeper style, they don't see it coming that way.
Tuesday, January 10, 2006 5:12 PM
squisher00z24 wrote:Also poke around on www.fiero.nl, a lot of guys swap in the 3400 or the camaro 3.4 L into the Fieros (OK, mostly the Camaro 3.4. Mostly the same, but older). It's effectively the same block, on the fieros, you can even use all the fiero dress-up parts and electronics. Do some searching in the Technical Discussions & Questions section.

So really, I see that as very feasible, especially with the Alero 3400 (I'm assuming that since it's out of another FWD that the starter location and all that stuff will be right). With the RWD 3.4L out of the camaro, at least for the Fiero, the starter is on the wrong side, so a new mount hole has to be drilled on the other side of the block (it already has the tab for it).

I KNOW that I've seen another J with a camaro 3.4 in it....it was pretty wicked, just don't remember the site (DOH!).

The fiero guys swap the 3.4L Camaro engine because of a few things:

A) Its Iron headed which keeps or alows them to retain their factory Fiero intake/plenum to look stealthy. Which it seems in the fiero world is huge thing to do. I argue with guys about the whole higher performance aspect of the 3400 compared to the @!#$ty 3.4L iron head, and they always complain "then it doesn't look stock and sleeper-ish"

b) fiero's used the older MPFI with a Dizzy setup. They are stubborn and reluctant to embrace chaning wiring to put a 3400 in due to its a DIS system engine.

c) the 3400 doesn't bolt up exactly the same with the fiero mounts.

For Jbodies, the 3.4L Camaro engine would be a useless waste of time.
-160 HP with the stock engine.
-Iron heads - heavier, flow less and make less power
-cannot use the 3.1L manifolds if you were wanting to keep it looking stock due to the Iron head engine.
-Starter is on the wrong side and needs to be drilled. Although most will think this is an easy task. It is not. I have drilled a 3.4L for a fiero for a guy. I had to buy the Rodney Dickman starter drill Jig, The 3.4L's ear for the starter when Drilling is at an angle at the end of the ear. Thus drilling into a 45degree angle straight and perfect is not a simple task without a jig.

185 HP stock.
large port sized intake manifolds and plenum
High flowing heads,
Roller camshaft
stiffer bottom end due to the structurally integral cast alum oil pan with cross bolted mains.
Revised engine oiling system.

Although it requires a special front engine mount bracket, It does just bolt right in with no big hassles.

As you can tell, I am biased towards the 3400, but then again I help run the domesticcrew.com website and contribute a great deal of knowledge there for these type of swaps.

Colin, 92 sunbird GT
3200 high output. Naturally Asperated.
14.391 @ 96.479, 2.134 60 foot. Street Tyres.
13.99 @ 95.22, 1.92 60 foot on Slicks.
Engineered Performance LSD equiped.
http://www.domesticcrew.com/colin/
Member of the www.turboz24.com crew.
Thursday, July 28, 2011 7:25 PM
is there anymore info on this swap???
Friday, July 29, 2011 12:47 PM
Wow. Did you even click the link provided?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search