2L OHC Turbo Cooling Mods - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2L OHC Turbo Cooling Mods
Monday, October 16, 2006 4:10 PM
Introduction.
This thread describes methods to improve engine output by reducing the engines tendency towards knock. Control and elimination of knock is important to producing high output small displacement engines. The pinnacle of those probably being the 1.6L turbocharged engines from the 80’s Formula One era.
The methods detailed below come from two papers from Adam Opel AG written by Dr Fritz Indra. These were on the development of the Group A C20LET (2L 16v turbo) engine for the Opel Calibra, “Hochaufladung eines 2.0 Ltr. 4 Ventil-Ottomotors” and the development of the C20XE for Formula Three “Der Formel 3 Rennmotor von Opel”. Further information was taken from a paper by Mitsubishi Motors “Study of Engine Cooling Technologies for Knock Suppression in Spark Ignition Engines” and another by Toyota Motor Corporation “Effect of Mirror-Finished Combustion Chamber on Heat Loss”.

Cylinder and Combustion Chamber Cooling.
Enhanced cooling of the top of the cylinder and the combustion chamber is achieved by drilling two Ø3.5mm holes between the cylinders and machining a slot 1.5mm wide by 20.0mm deep between the two. This can be seen on the Group A block in Figure 1 below. Note that the oil return holes have been blocked off and the water jacket area has been machined out. This is not done on the OHC engines.

Figure 1. Group A Block.

Cylinder and Combustion Chamber Cooling Cont.
The holes are spaced 45 - 50.0mm apart and go through the head gasket (no slot is cut into the gasket) and then into the cylinder head. This is shown in Figure 2 below.

Figure 2. Cooling holes in cylinder head.

The purpose of the slot in the block is to allow coolant flow around the full 360° of the cylinder for the first 20.0mm. This is the hottest part of the cylinder and the slots allow the cylinder wall temperature not only to be dropped (by some 80°C in the Mitsubishi tests) but also stabilised over the entire operating rpm range. Heat from the piston, carried away by the piston rings, is better dissipated by the cooler cylinder walls.
The coolant flows into the head in areas close to where the combustion chamber cores touch, stimulating flow around this area and helping to control the temperature of the combustion chamber is this area.

Mirror-Finished Combustion Chamber and Piston Crown.
Testing carried out by Toyota, on the effects of reducing the surface area of the combustion chamber and piston crown, by reducing the surface roughness have shown improvements in torque of 3%, reduction in piston crown temperature of 6°C and increases in the exhaust gas temperature of up to 10°C (providing more exhaust gas energy for the turbocharger).
The testing also revealed that even if the surfaces where covered in combustion deposits the above benefits where still realised, at slightly lower values, due to the lower surface area available for heat transfer by convection. It must be stated that both the chamber and piston crown must be polished to approximately 0.8z surface roughness or an optical mirror finish.

Figure 3. Surface Roughness values.

Figure 4. Comparisons of Torque, Exhaust Temperature and BSFC.

Piston Crown Cooling.
Cooling of the underside of the piston crown has been used in high performance gasoline engines and turbocharged diesel engines for many years, possibly from before World War Two. Cooling the piston crown improves its durability and reduces a gasoline engines tendency to knock by keeping the combustion surfaces (the crown) cool. This method was used on the Group A C20LET engines in conjunction with the cooling modifications to achieve over 300hp (with a 38mm restrictor) on unleaded gasoline during long arduous rally stages. Due to the regulations at the time for Group A, Opel were not allowed to modify the cylinder block for fitment of the oil jets, so the oil jets and feed were incorporated into the sump which was free to design as shown in Figure 5 below.

Figure 5. Special Cast Sump With Oil Jets.

However, on the OHC engines “off the shelf” oil jets can be used and fitted to a modified block. The oil jets that are used can be sourced from various VW, Porsche, Isuzu, etc. turbocharged gasoline or diesel engines and are the press fit type. The oil jets are fitted into the crankshaft mains of the block fed from a slot from the mains oil feed. This can be seen in Figures 6, 7 and 8 below.

Figure 6. Oil Jet Feed Slot From Mains.

Figure 7. Oil Jet Pressed Into Position.

Figure 8. Oil Jet Nozzle Aimed Through Crankcase Blowby Window.

Conclusions.
All three methods can be used on the OHC engine to reduce the tendency for knock. This will allow the use of higher turbocharger pressure levels and more aggressive ignition timing for higher power outputs.
Combined with effective intercooling, higher outputs with more reliability can be realised for street driven vehicles.

This whole text can be downloaded as a pdf file here
A detailed fitting guide for the fitment of the oil jets is given in a pdf document here courtesy of Total Vauxhall Magazine.

--------------------------
LT3 Powered Vauxhall Astra.
Intercooler, Mopar Super 60 Injectors, SDS Stand Alone EFI, Ported Big Valve Head, Cast T3 Manifold With External Wastegate + More

Re: 2L OHC Turbo Cooling Mods
Tuesday, October 17, 2006 6:43 AM
Very nice write-up. I would like to add one thing that I am trying out with my own engine.
After all of your head work is completed, if you have the exhaust ports ceramic coated, plus have ht inside of your turbo manifold ceramic coated, it helps to keep temperature out of the cylinder head and into the turbocharger. This helps keep the head cool and helps the turbo spool faster/make more power.

I'm going to look into that idea about the slits going between the cylinders. I was actually thinking about an idea similar to that but to use it instead of retarding timing in the top gears. My idea was to cut slits circling each of the cylinders in the block. Channel the slits into holes drilled in the side of the block upwards where you can tap an npt line to. You can either run an auxilary coolant system through those channel to only remove the extra hot temperatures around the upper cylinder walls or you could inejct nitrous or CO2 through the channels in higher gears isntead of pulling timing/decreasing boost.

I have an extra block to play around with machining... to see how much I can take out where.

Cardomain|Myspace

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 9:37 AM
Very nice Stef. You never cease to amaze!

Tony

Tony
1987 Sunbird GT turbo convert
Ported intake, Fiero 53 MM TB, 52 lb inj, ported and flowed head, tube header, Mitsu TD06, ARP rod
bolts/head studs, adj cam sprocket, 4" x 12" x 31" FMIC, Paxton AFPR, modified 125 trans/LSD
unit/3.42's, custom chip tuning, Alky Control Methanol injection
13.61 ET at 101.44 mph, 262 WHP/350WTQ

2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP roadster, 2.0 turbo w/GMPP exh, CAI and turbo upgrade, 290 hp/325 ft lbs

1969 Olds 442 convert
400 Eng, 200-4R trans, 3.73 posi, power everything, OAI

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 10:22 AM
Hey guys, I goofed on the link to the oil jet article. You can download it here

Thanks for the comments guys - we've got to keep developing these little engines!

Minion - I have been looking into ceramic coatings. OEM's have been doing extensive testing and research in this area to improve thermal efficiency in both gasoline and diesel engines. There have been very positive results regarding coating of exhaust ports. The research is extensive, going back as far as the seventies. The manifold, as you've said, benefits too. We just need to make sure the turbine can deal with the higher exhaust gas temps!
What I have noticed in the research I done is that coatings inside the combustion space don't offer the same benefits. From what I've seen I would not coat anything inside the combustion space!

Keep us up to date with your cooling experiments. I will be doing the drilled holes and slots in my block and head.

Stef

--------------------------
LT3 Powered Vauxhall Astra.
Intercooler, Mopar Super 60 Injectors, SDS Stand Alone EFI, Ported Big Valve Head, Cast T3 Manifold With External Wastegate + More
Monday, October 08, 2007 6:24 PM
Wow... just came accross this... didnt think losing heat would make much more power... gonna have to experoment with this soon... great write up!! got anymore pics? thanks

"Hondas are like tampons, every pussy has one!!!"
Tuesday, October 09, 2007 4:04 AM
Quote:

From what I've seen I would not coat anything inside the combustion space!

Any of this reading online? I've had nothing but good results coating the combustion chambers and piston crowns. A friend of mine coated chambers and pistons as well as exhaust ports in a 4.1L Buick turbo engine only to find that oil temperatures remained too low to remove condensation. Too much of a good thing?

-->Slow
Friday, October 12, 2007 6:27 PM
did that drilling of coolant holes between the cyls on my 4.1L turbo buick with excellent results,it`ll go 18-20 psi boost w/no knock retard----

1990 sunbird LE conv w/turbo 2.0L----new eng,turbo,injectors
1984 buick t-type 3.8L turbo v6--fast!
1940 olds sedan street rod
Saturday, October 20, 2007 10:26 AM
there are a few issues that i could expand on but i only have time for one or two.

•this has been done for a while with our bocks but there is one down side. because it is being fed from an oil return there is not enough pressure to feed the main and to push oil up the nozzle. the stream just kind of drizzles

the best option is to pull pressure AFTER the oil pump and feed it (with line) back into the oil pan in a separate system and mount jets to the windage tray. as soon as i get my main bearings in i will post pics.

• the other issue is cutting into the block, accentually separating the cylinders. the issue is that you are taking a considerable amount of structure away from the most critical area of the block.
the biggest reason the C20GET (LT3) knocks is the lack of BOV and intercooler. if you are worried about the knock (and you should be) then add the two, you can even go a couple steps further and convert to E85, it's just about detonation proof! you could also add Nitrous to be used not just as a power adder from better atomization but for lower combustion temps.

well that's my two cents, i love debates so i hope this sparks some interest.

garrett
Sunday, October 21, 2007 8:28 AM
Quote:

the biggest reason the C20GET (LT3) knocks

Is as much to do with the tuning as the hardware. GM likes to use a lot of ignition timing in all calibrations, but with the LT3 they added additional fuel to the mix to provide cooling. With good monitoring and documentation it's relatively easy to determine that much of both can be reduced, resulting in better economy and performance while still avoiding dangerous knock. The engine doesn't live a life isolated from it's control system and modifying the exterior components without adjusting the calibration makes little sense to me.

The conversion to E85 is not imo "just a couple of steps." E85 is a different fuel and in a climate where temperature and relative humidity fluctuate dramatically switching to E85 without making tuning changes invites driveability issues. Additionally, E85 and gasoline do not share a linear relationship with respect to max lean operating AFR, stoichiometric AFR, and rich best power. Just 'cause a car will start and run on E85 on a sunny summer day doesn't mean the conversion is a simple one.

-->Slow
Friday, January 04, 2008 5:46 PM
So just wondering, would i have to retard timing for 18 pounds of boost? Thats what thi sis about right? cooling, and also keeping from having to retard timing, and preventing knock?

Saturday, January 05, 2008 11:44 AM

David, the factory LT3 ignition timing maps do not extend to 18 psi. 14.7 psi (1 BAR ) boost is all they're good for, and they're really too aggressive above 10-11 psi. For 18 psi you would be very wise to reduce spark advance. In order to use the factory ecm for this job you'll need to switch to a 3BAR MAP sensor and appropriate calibration.

The modifications above are intended to reduce combustion chamber and piston temperature. Benefits can include better cylinder filling at lower rpm, increased torque, and reduced risk of detonation. Potential downsides include reduced combustion efficiency and some driveability issues at lower engine temperature and speed. Downsides and upsides depend greatly on the engine as a whole, including how close it is to stock and how it will be used. It's up to you as a builder to decide whether or not this modification is useful or even worth trying. They may certainly allow more spark advance before knocking occurs but you shouldn't rule out the need to reduce spark timing. Although these modifications are really intended for "maximum effort" engines, for a close to stock engine they could be considered a type of insurance policy, helping keep the Demons of Destruction away if you make a mistake while tuning or if something happens while under high boost.

-->Slow

Saturday, January 05, 2008 1:41 PM
Alright... my goals are around 350-400HP at the crank for my engine... its going to be a daily driver in summer and spring, some of fall... weekend drag car maybe..so I think these mods may be useful... do any of you know any software to program for a 3 bar MAP? anyway to adjust spark and all that? thanks.

Also, anyone figured out the whole "oil squirters" thing? thanks again.

Sunday, January 06, 2008 7:34 PM
Quote:

Alright... my goals are around 350-400HP at the crank for my engine...

That's a very ambitious goal. Have you calculated how much rpm you'll need to turn to achieve those numbers?

For tuning, 3 BAR MAP software is available from Tunerpro or Tunercat.

-->Slow
Monday, January 07, 2008 7:18 PM
No. How would I calculate that? And I have tuner pro downloaded.. anyone know how to guide me through how to program for the 3 bar MAP? anything else you suggest doing while im programming? thanks.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search