paint - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
paint
Thursday, July 19, 2007 4:02 PM
i'm about to attempt to paint my car, it was primed with spray paint, black and i'm going to spray it flat black. Problem is is that i have to do it outside, what are the best options i have? as far as not making a mess with over spray and things like that . I am doing this as soon as i get paint, and want it to look decent for a first timer. Any suggestions would be great.

I don't know j-body's yet........but I will!

Re: paint
Friday, July 20, 2007 6:30 PM
ive found, that if your doin it on pavement, to wet down the pavement so dust doesnt blow everywhere, and just take your time and do lite coats it will take time but will come out good in the end, another thing is, make sure the surfaces are very clean so you dont get orange peel. I painted my trunk in my driveway and i did the same thing and it came out good

Saturday, July 21, 2007 12:21 AM
Take it to a cheap paint place like Maaco.
Saturday, July 21, 2007 10:14 AM
Agreed. Never EVER paint a car outside...dust, leaves, twigs and all sorts of debris can blow by and stick to the car, ruining the paint job...at least do it in the garage....

Saturday, July 21, 2007 11:15 AM
i don't have a garage.........all i have is a huge parking lot........and we do not have a maaco anywhere close by

I don't know j-body's yet........but I will!
Sunday, July 22, 2007 7:49 PM
Then I wouldnt paint it...paint has static...it WILL attract every piece of dust in a half mile radius...

Monday, July 23, 2007 8:16 AM
or as a last resort build a paintbooth outa some 2*4s and plastick sheeting ...... not the best but itl work just rem to put in a exhaust fan

Monday, July 23, 2007 1:17 PM
i wouldnt seriously go to maaco haha... i primered my car (the first time... haha) outside, but i made sure it was painted in a booth, and since primed indoors. your best bet is to find a custom paint shop that'll let you rent out their booth... (most shops in my area will for about $200 a day during the summer... its more in the winter time cause thats when the most work comes through their doors)

EDIT: ** i wouldnt seriously EVER go to macco ** they'll paint your windows and head lights

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, July 23, 2007 1:19 PM

Thursday, July 26, 2007 1:39 PM
You might check with the local body shops or schools that have a paint booth. They might be willing to rent out the booth for awhile.

brien
89 Z24
Friday, October 26, 2007 2:22 AM
do you plan on painting it with a spray can or with an actual compressor and spray gun??

Vote for my car for car of the month on www.v6z24.com..
Friday, October 26, 2007 12:21 PM
Brad, welcome to 3 months ago today

Sunday, October 28, 2007 2:07 AM
sk843143 wrote:or as a last resort build a paintbooth outa some 2*4s and plastick sheeting ...... not the best but itl work just rem to put in a exhaust fan

or pvc pipes instead of wood....

Monday, November 05, 2007 7:33 PM
Elias A wrote:
sk843143 wrote:or as a last resort build a paintbooth outa some 2*4s and plastick sheeting ...... not the best but itl work just rem to put in a exhaust fan

or pvc pipes instead of wood....

Defiantly, Filter an in and out exhaust fan, use a compressor with spray gun and evap valve ( or whatever the thing that takes water out of the line is called).

Saturday, December 08, 2007 5:26 PM
water seporator is what its called... but ive heard that if you release the thing to let all the air out on the compressor for a sec. then close it most of the way, keep it open a tiny bit, it will keep the water out as well, never tried it, but ive heard of people doing that...

"Hondas are like tampons, every pussy has one!!!"
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search