Convertible Top Actuators - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Convertible Top Actuators
Saturday, September 01, 2007 11:06 AM
Alright OG convertible owners, let's test your parts sourcing savvy. I'm in need of a right-hand convertible top actuator (yes, I'm actually de-mothballing my car); mine is still functional, but is leaking. Anyone have an extra one laying around, or know of a source to get them. I've already checked with a dealership, and with GM's obsolete parts system. Anyone know who manufactured it, or if something comparable is out there?

C'mon Geeds, Protonuts.....

1989 Z24 Convertible - Dust Covered
2006 tC - Dust Covered, but driven more

Re: Convertible Top Actuators
Sunday, September 02, 2007 4:53 AM
Funny, the RH cylinder failed on my car, too.

I happen to have (2) complete tops sitting in the barn right now, plus the one that's on my car. Out of the three, I believe I can make 2 pair of actuators. The "spare" tops are from '90 and '92 cars but they look exactly the same as my '89 Sunbird as far as the frame and cylinders are concerned. I can check the spares to see if I can tell which cylinders are good.

I never did find out who manufactured the original cylinders, but I believe I'd found someone who is rebuilding them. I can't remember the cost but it was cheaper to buy a complete used top than a single reman cylinder.

I guess I passed that test, eh?

-->Slow
Sunday, September 02, 2007 9:29 AM
I'd be glad to take one off of your hands, providing they're good.

Also, the '90 top would be an '89; no 1990 convertibles were made.

Sunday, September 02, 2007 10:33 AM
no 90 cavalier verts wwere made, however there were 90 sunbird verts made.

Sunday, September 02, 2007 5:06 PM
Thanks, Sharkey.

Yeah, with the Sunbird it's easy to tell an '89 from a '90 or '91. The '89 still has flip-up headlights but it got a redesigned interior. If it's a ragtop though, it still had the seatbelts mounted beside the rear seat instead of in the door. Mine's just like this. The '90 and '91 are very similar so there's a chance the top is from a 91. The '92-94 cars either came with a V6 or a 2.0 PFI engine so there's no confusing those with the 91and down TBI OHC engine.

Anyway, I'll drag the tops out into the light tomorrow and make sure I have enough good RH cylinders to sell one. I'm 99% sure I do, but I just want to double check before saying "OK."

-->Slow
Monday, September 03, 2007 7:15 PM
Sunbird...durr....Christ, I had my car mothballed for longer than I thought.

Tuesday, September 04, 2007 4:05 AM
Looks like the cylinders might be universal. But I do have a good one from the RH side which I'd part with.

-->Slow
Tuesday, September 04, 2007 11:29 AM
PMed.

Wednesday, September 05, 2007 2:57 PM
PMed back.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search