Converting cav to z24 side skirt help - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Converting cav to z24 side skirt help
Tuesday, October 23, 2007 2:33 PM
i just bought side z24 skirts from ebay for a 92 cav vert how do they install, do i remove the black piece over the rockers ? what about the steel pieces, what about the plastic spacer things? door pieces ?
thax
tom

Re: Converting cav to z24 side skirt help
Tuesday, October 23, 2007 11:15 PM
they should be screwed down...

regular phillips head... careful not to strip them... nothing special though

Wednesday, October 24, 2007 5:36 AM
how much did you pay for those, if u dont mind...because im looking for some z24 parts for my sunbird convert

Thursday, October 25, 2007 5:24 PM
You have the Phase II side skirts that go up half the body. I have an 88 Z24 vert with Phase I skirts and they only screw into the lower body with slot screws.

Last time I saw a Phase II Z apart like that the midway body side molding and the rocker molding came off. It started with a clean body side. Hopefully you will get the appropriate front & rear bumper cover to complete the package. Phase I Zs used a two-tone color scheme with grey lowers while Phase II used a monotone treatment. Since I have a Phase I I am indifferent to my preference and go back and forth in my head as to whether to retain the two-tone or go mono-tone for the spring repaint.

GM Powertrain Engineer
Currently in Charlotte, NC
Worked at Lordstown Assembly in Mid 90s
Hamtramck, Lake Orion, Lansing Grand River
Currently work on older cars but support
any GM make or any car for that matter.
Owned 3 J's over the years among other cars.
Currently 88 Z24 Convert. Mostly stock.
Mild exhaust, chip, CAI, stereo, etc.
Feel free to hit me up on anything!
Sunday, October 28, 2007 1:11 AM
i paid $50 , thanx for the tip i didnt realize the bumper covers were part of the package
thank you
tom
Monday, November 19, 2007 2:04 PM
I need more help, i bought these off ebay, they are the correct length but nothing to screw into, they wont sit inside the door opening, and rech the under side, almost like they are not tall enuff, are they from the wrong year my car is a 1992 rs, and i removed the clip on side cover that covers the rivets.HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

C:\Documents and Settings\Daddy's Account\My Documents\My Pictures\side skirt
Monday, November 19, 2007 2:18 PM
see this link for pic

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2948369/1

thanx for any help
Monday, November 19, 2007 2:28 PM
Those are Phase I skirts what came on 1988-1990 Z's. 1991-1994 Z's used a different kind of skirt that extended halfway up the body. With that said the outer dimensions of the J's from 1988-1994 are identical meaning you could make the Phase I skirt work. However you will have to get a body guide or have a look at a car to see the pin arrangements. I have an 88 that uses this skirt but never had mine off. However I have the body guide so I can take a look and see if any pics can be scanned.

GM Powertrain Engineer
Monday, November 19, 2007 5:23 PM
i just remembered about the metal pieces i got with these pieces, figured out they mount first then the skirts mount to them thru the screw holes, now does the thin piece of tin stay on the car or come off to expose the rivits, even if you could tell me the positions of the holes on the doors ,any measurements would be helpful, now i see how they attach, i forgot i got the metal mounting bars with these, what about the plastic pieces, 1 inch wide by 4 in long maybe they are in the garage im trying to remember, if i take the inside door panels off with this allow me to mount the door pieces? thanx for the help, i didnt realize the skirts changed from these years, my sons first car im sure he will never notice, i have located a hood locally but $125, seems high. motor change is complete, is there any value in this head, no issues with this head, saved from original engine.
Thanx for all your help.
Monday, November 19, 2007 5:41 PM
Well when I get to work I will take a look in the body book and see if there is anything worth mentioning. I assume you got the door piece that is supposed to mount to the bottom of the door that goes with the side skirts?

PHASE I SKIRTS

PHASE II SKIRTS

So what you took a basic Cav and buying Z parts to jazz it up?

Not to change the subject but you also registered on GNTTYPE site as well? I used to have an 86 TTYPE and used to go to Buicks at Bristol and other places back in the day. One of my very best customers here in NC operated an auto repair and performance shop that also caters to Buick Regals and the old GS Skylarks. We have a GNX in the shop as we speak.

GM Powertrain Engineer
Tuesday, November 20, 2007 2:25 PM
The door pieces use the little clips you're talking about. The Z24s had little studs welded to the door skins that the clips attach to. You can use sheetmetal screws to do the same thing.

$125 for a hood is highway robbery. Unless its brand new or gold plated or something.

Thursday, November 22, 2007 4:41 AM
Yes, im registered at gnttype,love these cars, my son posted a video on you tube, driveway damaged ,needless to say last video,pics on gnttyp and cardomain. good job figuring that out from username.

BODY The thing that stumps me is if i use the phase I skirts on this car what covers the factory rivets under the door on the rocker? the black thin metal trim that covers them must be removed in order for the skirts to fit tight? see my previous pic. Im assuming all cav must be like this or maybe being a convertible these are stiffing pieces?

DOOR , are the wide plastic strips used in addition to the studs already on the door pieces, what about just using the studs that are made on the door pieces with a little silicone? Im assuming the plastic strips are used like the body side molding i spoke about above
Thanx again
Tom
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search