beast 4.4L LC3 Northstar Engine - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
beast 4.4L LC3 Northstar Engine
Sunday, December 30, 2007 8:06 PM
im so serious when i say i want to put this motor in my sunbird . but will it fit?? and if it does what auto tranny can i get for it??? i realize like verything will have to be upgraded ya ya ya , this is a mission im on it will get done. (thats if it fits)

Re: beast 4.4L LC3 Northstar Engine
Monday, December 31, 2007 3:40 PM
Not without cutting some of the unibody away. Search on V6Z24.com. Its been posted several times.

Monday, December 31, 2007 4:55 PM
why not a 3800 s/c ??

Tuesday, January 01, 2008 7:43 AM
the s/c 3800 is only like 250 hp and 250 torque. and the northstar is like 450/450 ish . i've read that a few people have dropped the 3800 in there , it must fit up pretty well. how much of the body would i have to cut away to fit the northstar? is it serious ,like serious enough to effect the strength of the chassis? did you recogmend the 3800 because its the biggest engine to fit a j 2000 without having to cut anything away? whas the best auto tranny to fit up to both engines?? this car has deep sentimental value to myself and i want to make her scream .
Tuesday, January 01, 2008 8:26 AM
Why not pick a better car than a 230 year old unibody that has no redeeming qualities other than you already own it. Why would you waste your time putting 450hp intoa frame and suspension that was barely designed to handle 200. You could probably spend less money dropping an LSX into a S2000 and end up with a much better car.

Tuesday, January 01, 2008 8:35 AM
it doesnt really matter why does it ? i could do alot of things , like put a bigger turbo on my subaru impreza and have 400 hp no problem. i want this car to be a muscle car. maybe a 350 carb small block? frames can be easily beefed up and the car will need new suspention anyway so upgrading it shouldnt be a problem. im pretty much looking for advise on this car not some s2000 thanks. im looking to know whats the biggest engine that will fit in there. ive allready asked that you save your ect ect ect blah blah stuff to yourself.
Tuesday, January 01, 2008 9:08 AM
Just a suggestion. But hey if you want to waste your money on something thats going to look ugly, handle like crap, and generally be a poor decision then go ahead.

You obviously have too much money to burn, so whatever. The onus of your idiocracy is on you.

Tuesday, January 01, 2008 9:15 AM
ugly my friend is in the eye of the beholder.an 8 cyl in a 1 ton ride is a thing of beauty if you ask me . i might be leaning twords the 3800 though i really need more input from the dudes that know whats up . ( james cahill is the man )
Tuesday, January 01, 2008 10:56 AM
IIRC, the physical engine will fit, but none of the accessories will, and once you get the trans bolted up, its just not happening. It was something like 8 inches too wide. Considering the unibody rails are only about 3 inches at that point, you would basically be rebuilding the entire front unibody to do it. If you wanted to whip up a tube frame, it would definetely fit, and you could swap to a double wishbone suspension too.

Personally, I would do the 3800. It really is the biggest engine you can "drop in". I can't give you any info on the swap other than its been done several times, and does require all custom mounts. I don't know what those guys are running for trannies offhand, but I would assume a 4T60E.

There have been quite a few 350 RWD swaps into early Js, but I've only ever seen one street legal (and that was a 1st gen).

And yes, the 2nd gen platfrom will hold upwards of 300whp (yes, thats whp, not crank), on a basically stock suspension and still be very driveable with street tires.

Tuesday, January 01, 2008 11:42 AM
thank you sir . i think i will look into the sc 3800 gm performance makes a crate motor all beefed up but after you wrote an talked about the tranny i read up on it and found its kinda wimpy . i was wondering if you knew about the 4T65-E hd . its the next generation tranny of the same model line all beefed up and ready to shift at red line at wot which the previous mentioned 4T60E does not . it was due to the 4T60E being made with lame torque converters. do you know if the sc 3800 will line up with the 4t65-e hd. ? on a separate note what ecu and wiring harness will i need to properly run this set up?
Wednesday, January 02, 2008 7:07 PM
I can't answer either of your questions off hand. I recall something about the 4T65Es on V6Z24.com a while back. You should search for it. I don't remember ever seeing anything about what harness to use with the 3800. Of the two swaps I followed, I on't think anything was ever mentioned about it. Check out 60degreev6.com and domesticcrew.com, they both probably have something in the somewhere.

Saturday, January 05, 2008 7:44 PM
Everything you want to know about swapping a N* into a j can be found here.

http://cavalierman93.googlepages.com/

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search