2.0 noisy head - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.0 noisy head
Saturday, May 03, 2008 7:16 PM
I've got a 1994 Sunbird 2.0 with a noise in the head area. Not really sure if it a lifter or a cam lobe problem. The car has 174, 000 miles so it's not worth putting a lot of money in it. Anyone ever have a problem like this? Any advice would be appreciated.

Re: 2.0 noisy head
Friday, May 09, 2008 4:03 AM
sounds like a head gasket to me... what a suprize... happens on the 2.0s all the time. my old one started out with a knock kind of sound and overheating a little bit, then oil and anti-freeze mixed, blew the exhuast manifold gasket, smoked like crazy and at the end of its life along with all the smoke there was actually the oil/anti-freeze mix coming OUT THE EXHAUST lol. but sounds like a head gasket to me, might not be, but that would be my bet.

"Hondas are like tampons, every pussy has one!!!"
Tuesday, July 08, 2008 10:03 AM
What does the noise sound like? Knocking? Clicking? Banging? Pinging? Dinging?
Kind of hard to diagnose a noise without even knowing what it sounds like!

If you can - record the noise and host it online so we can actually hear it.

Thursday, May 06, 2010 5:01 AM
my 1993 sunbird 2.0 does the same thing. it makes clickety-clack noises from the head. mine does it because the hydraulic lifters don't pump up. What I need is for someone to tell me why. because I have good oil pressure, and the lifters are new, so they're not bleeding out, but they don't pump up at all. If someone has had the same problem or knows what is going on here, I really need to know what the problem is before it makes serious damage.
Saturday, May 08, 2010 12:15 PM
Sounds like your cylinder head oil pressure reg. valve needs to be replaced. The regulator valve is located inside the head on the drivers side and covered by a round plug, it looks like a small frost plug around half inch diameter.The valve will have a ball and spring inside a cage like housing, this will need to be crushed to be removed, make sure nothing falls inside. Then the remainder of the valve will need to be threaded(M10) and a bolt to be removed from the seat, the head will have to be removed to do this properly I think. Always make sure that you load up your lifters manually before installation by bathing them in oil and pumping by hand while they are submersed fully, this should solve your problem if there isn't already cam lobe and rocker arm wear. It is possible to remove camshaft with housing and access the lifters without disturbing the head gasket seal.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search