'89 Cavalier outer belt molding.... - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
'89 Cavalier outer belt molding....
Monday, May 19, 2008 2:01 AM
Hi, I'm new, so please forgive me if my post breaks fora manners here, somehow.

I am looking for an "outer belt molding" for the door window on a 89 cavalier, 2-door coupe. The OEM part # is 20451776 (right) and 20451777 (left). This is the trim/seal piece along the top of the door on the outside, i.e., what your arm rests on if you drive with your arm out the window on a nice day.

GM has discontinued these, and I have been told that there is no stock anywhere in the US. Used is not really an option.... these are not only wearing parts, they deteriorate with age as well.

Does anyone know of a source for these parts? Thanks!

Re: '89 Cavalier outer belt molding....
Friday, June 25, 2010 3:41 PM
baron5867 wrote:Hi, I'm new, so please forgive me if my post breaks fora manners here, somehow.

I am looking for an "outer belt molding" for the door window on a 89 cavalier, 2-door coupe. The OEM part # is 20451776 (right) and 20451777 (left). This is the trim/seal piece along the top of the door on the outside, i.e., what your arm rests on if you drive with your arm out the window on a nice day.

GM has discontinued these, and I have been told that there is no stock anywhere in the US. Used is not really an option.... these are not only wearing parts, they deteriorate with age as well.

Resurrecting an old post.... has anyone come up with an aftermarket source for these? Thanks.
Friday, June 25, 2010 6:58 PM
Unless I have the wrong part here, there was something going in the 1st Gen Forum about this a while back. IIRC the short answer is some company somewhere was going to do it, but no word yet on it having been done.
Saturday, July 10, 2010 3:29 PM
try napa. they are about $90 per side as of last summer when i priced them. i got lucky soon after and found new ones on a Z24 in a auto wreckers so i know they are available from some where at least.
Wednesday, May 30, 2012 9:42 PM
Wayne Schiff wrote:Unless I have the wrong part here, there was something going in the 1st Gen Forum about this a while back. IIRC the short answer is some company somewhere was going to do it, but no word yet on it having been done.

Resurrection of a resurrected old post. Does anyone know if there have been any aftermarket sources to come online for these outer belt moldings? Or does anyone see any usable specimens in the junkyards? Thanks.
Thursday, May 31, 2012 4:54 AM
baron5867 wrote:
Wayne Schiff wrote:Unless I have the wrong part here, there was something going in the 1st Gen Forum about this a while back. IIRC the short answer is some company somewhere was going to do it, but no word yet on it having been done.

Resurrection of a resurrected old post. Does anyone know if there have been any aftermarket sources to come online for these outer belt moldings? Or does anyone see any usable specimens in the junkyards? Thanks.

Ask Here or Here

Friday, June 01, 2012 11:53 PM
Thanks for linking my thread! Finding good used ones is your only option! And finding usable used ones is nearly impossible! It's not only the Cavaliers these have been discontinued for. There are none left for the L bodies or N bodies either! If anyone was thinking of it, there is NO universal type stuff that will work. I don't see any company producing OE replacements either.. It is what it is I guess! If I find some usable ones, I'll pull them and have them for sale here for you guys! Good luck!
Saturday, June 02, 2012 8:32 PM
Brett Mandli wrote:Finding good used ones is your only option! And finding usable used ones is nearly impossible!

This is not what I wanted to hear.

Brett Mandli wrote: It's not only the Cavaliers these have been discontinued for. There are none left for the L bodies or N bodies either!
All the more reason to hope that someone has identified the market and is responding to it.

Brett Mandli wrote: If anyone was thinking of it, there is NO universal type stuff that will work.

I believe the actual weatherstripping (or similar) is available. You would have to properly attach it to the old part "frame" though. I don't see me doing this.

I did not check NAPA, as someone indicated in an old post above. I believe an online dealer has the right side available (I need the left) for something like $102 + tax + S&H.

Brett Mandli wrote: I don't see any company producing OE replacements either.. It is what it is I guess! If I find some usable ones, I'll pull them and have them for sale here for you guys! Good luck!

OK, thanks.
Thursday, December 13, 2012 5:53 AM
baron5867 wrote:I am looking for an "outer belt molding" for the door window on a 89 cavalier, 2-door coupe. The OEM part # is 20451776 (right) and 20451777 (left). This is the trim/seal piece along the top of the door on the outside, i.e., what your arm rests on if you drive with your arm out the window on a nice day.

Ha! Hoping against hope..... anyone happen to know... did any aftermarket sources pop up for these since I last asked?

I did have a dealer that carried the right (passenger) side for a bit over $100 plus S&H, but it is the driver's side that I really need. Thanks!
Thursday, December 13, 2012 9:46 PM
Do your outside window sweeps look like these?I am sure they do with the large piece that angles up at the mirror.I know the 2nd gens window sweeps are 2 pieces and have like 5 screws holding them,two toward the mirror where the metal slides into the long flat piece and like two screws on the end at the door lock.Any way I found these very nice sweeps with little wear maybe a crack in the rubber on one,but solid rubber to go against the glass.I will have to do a better photo pic front to rear close up if this does not satisfy you.So that being said I would sell these both sides left/right with the mirror piece for 30.00 plus fedex ground shipping.Interested let me know and I do use paypal and we can negotiate things pm ok.These came off a 1993 cavalier.These are the BEST set I have ever found to date 2nd gen.

Friday, December 14, 2012 8:38 PM
I think yours should look similar to these.It probably does not have that shiny black piece running the full length of the sweep just black but you can see the ridged look.These are from a 89 bird and yes sold to kurt ziglar already.

Saturday, December 15, 2012 5:43 AM
Ron Love wrote: I think yours should look similar to these.It probably does not have that shiny black piece running the full length of the sweep just black but you can see the ridged look.These are from a 89 bird and yes sold to kurt ziglar already.

Yes, from what I can see, these are the type on the car.

The window on that side of the car is all messed up, so I will have to pull that apart, and would like to do something with that "sweep" while I am in there. Thanks.
Sunday, January 27, 2013 4:07 PM
On my '84 Convertible, all of the belt moldings were bad. I had gone to a Auto interior shop to have new carpeting installed, and funny I asked the female clerk if the place carried those moldings. She replied "no". So as I was leaving one of the guys that works in the shop area was walking by, and told me how nice my Cavalier was, and I remarked how badly I needed the belt moldings. He said hold on a minute, went into the shop area and came out with what I needed. I had em installed the next day, and haven't looked back. My advice is take it to a trim shop and see if they can match up some generic moldings for you. I know from experience that they are available.

Good luck,

Walt
Monday, January 28, 2013 3:53 AM
Walter Lewis wrote:On my '84 Convertible, all of the belt moldings were bad. I had gone to a Auto interior shop to have new carpeting installed, and funny I asked the female clerk if the place carried those moldings. She replied "no". So as I was leaving one of the guys that works in the shop area was walking by, and told me how nice my Cavalier was, and I remarked how badly I needed the belt moldings. He said hold on a minute, went into the shop area and came out with what I needed. I had em installed the next day, and haven't looked back. My advice is take it to a trim shop and see if they can match up some generic moldings for you. I know from experience that they are available.

I am not sure what exactly a "trim shop" is, or how to find one.

I figured that there are places that could provide or fabricate something, or repair the ones I have. I believe I saw how-to's on the internet which explain how to repair them yourself, but it looked beyond what I would want to do myself. I believe that it involved hunting down the proper rubber weatherstripping to attach to the molding itself, and then using rivets and glue to attach.

Cost is an concern as well. This car has been maintained, but it has issues that come with being a 24yo car.
Saturday, April 13, 2013 4:51 AM
http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/

Use the catalog tab to the left.

brien
89 Z24
http://www.racingjunk.com/profile/3263
Saturday, April 13, 2013 12:23 PM
(?????) I know of that site, and I am still seeing belt molding 20451777 as unavailable. Am I missing something? Thanks.
Monday, April 15, 2013 3:30 PM
Wednesday, May 01, 2013 7:20 PM
Brien wrote:http://oemcats.com/oem-parts/20451777.html

A belated thanks for the link!
Friday, October 18, 2013 7:06 AM
baron5867 wrote:
Ha! Hoping against hope..... anyone happen to know... did any aftermarket sources pop up for these since I last asked?

Can anyone verify that the MR260X is the proper replacement weatherstrip on a 89 Cavalier coupe? The old stuff is deformed and I can't tell.

Does anyone know of any good online instructions on how to replace these weatherstrippings?
Sunday, February 23, 2014 6:50 AM
baron5867 wrote:
baron5867 wrote:

Can anyone verify that the MR260X is the proper replacement weatherstrip on a 89 Cavalier coupe? The old stuff is deformed and I can't tell.

Does anyone know of any good online instructions on how to replace these weatherstrippings?
I know this thread is rather old, but I can confirm that the MR260X is probably about as close as you can get. It works perfectly and once installed looks exactly like the original. If anything it may be slightly taller, but only by 1/16 of an inch if even that much. And honestly, I'm not sure it is taller at all or if my old ones were just worn so much the new ones look 'slightly' taller.
Anyway, it will work extremely well..
Sunday, February 23, 2014 9:05 AM
butch nackley wrote:
baron5867 wrote:I know this thread is rather old, but I can confirm that the MR260X is probably about as close as you can get. It works perfectly and once installed looks exactly like the original. If anything it may be slightly taller, but only by 1/16 of an inch if even that much. And honestly, I'm not sure it is taller at all or if my old ones were just worn so much the new ones look 'slightly' taller.

Thanks for the response! The car belongs to an elderly relative, she is no longer driving, and the car is basically sitting dead. We will probably look to sell the car this summer, I don't know if there is enough value in the car to warrant this repair.

In any case, the window sweep on the drivers side is missing the rubber, AND the molding itself is somewhat bent, so that it does not mount right on the door sill. I have a used replacement sweep that is also missing the rubber, and I don't know if I want to replace the rubber before selling it (project), or just mount the unbent replacement molding on the door and let any subsequent owner deal with it. But at least I know MR260X is the way to go if I want.

Again, links to any online how-to's for this project would be helpful, even for others that might stumble across this topic.

Sunday, February 23, 2014 9:17 AM
butch nackley wrote:I know this thread is rather old, but I can confirm that the MR260X is probably about as close as you can get. It works perfectly and once installed looks exactly like the original. If anything it may be slightly taller, but only by 1/16 of an inch if even that much. And honestly, I'm not sure it is taller at all or if my old ones were just worn so much the new ones look 'slightly' taller.

(REPOST, with the right quotes attributed to the right people!)

Thanks for the response! The car belongs to an elderly relative, she is no longer driving, and the car is basically sitting dead. We will probably look to sell the car this summer, I don't know if there is enough value in the car to warrant this repair.

In any case, the window sweep on the drivers side is missing the rubber, AND the molding itself is somewhat bent, so that it does not mount right on the door sill. I have a used replacement sweep that is also missing the rubber, and I don't know if I want to replace the rubber before selling it (project), or just mount the unbent replacement molding on the door and let any subsequent owner deal with it. But at least I know MR260X is the way to go if I want.

Again, links to any online how-to's for this project would be helpful, even for others that might stumble across this topic.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search