3.1 problem - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
3.1 problem
Thursday, July 31, 2008 7:29 PM
i have a 88 z24 and my problem is that, when its a normal hot ass day my car runs very rich, but when it rains it runs ideal and lean until the car drys off. it started about 3 months ago when i rann into a deep puddle of water and the engine shut down. i thing my cai sucked water into it, cause when i finally got it started it smoked and you could smell raw gas for bout a hour. i changed the iac, tps, ignition control module and coils, spark pugs and upper intake gaskets. it got better but not fixed. and at idle it lopes between 800 and 1200 rpms. sometimes it dies if i dont pat the gas, if i pat the gas after i stop everything is still good, but still running rich. so could anybody help please, cause i need the car running until i get the mounts for my 3400 swap. thnx jbody family

http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/af67/tntodc38107/droid.jpg
speed is only for those who use it, smoke or get smoked!!!

Re: 3.1 problem
Tuesday, August 05, 2008 7:35 PM
i would start with maintenance items, as in, what Prom is in a 88 to let a 3.1 run as it should?

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Tuesday, August 05, 2008 9:12 PM
Not to point out something simple but, At least on first gens the temp sender going bad regardless if the gauge reads ok will make the car run rich.Unless u have a vacumm leak I would lean towards the above.Also something to consider is the EGR valve sticking will cause ur issues irractic idle,running rich conditions.Depending on what ur egr is like they vary but most have a vac line going to them.This is my recom pull the vac line off and if the condition improves clean it,reinstall see if improves.The pintal that moves up/down inside may stick and DOES make the eng run rich if it sticks and if u clean it use carb clnr and if no change and way old its prolly time to repl it.The egr has a diaprham inside and it tends to deterioate over age and loses vacumm and causes the eng run poor.That is what I would consider is the two items,I may be way off but,if the two parts in mind are orig or very old I would highly consider replacing or checking.Btw normal problems with the egr are with eng at operating temps or even cold.Hope this helps and may others correct me or add to this.

Tuesday, August 05, 2008 10:35 PM
thnx for the info im going to check it tomorrow, and the 3.1 has been in my car for 2 years no codes or problems. runs like a champ. does any body know were i can find info for a 3400 turbo setup? ive got the motor and a t3 turbo and intercooler, piping and lines just need more info, and thnx again guys

http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/af67/tntodc38107/droid.jpg
speed is only for those who use it, smoke or get smoked!!!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search