92 cav 2.2 no start - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
92 cav 2.2 no start
Tuesday, July 28, 2009 10:21 PM
hey first post on this site. my lil sis has a 92 cav with a 2.2 with 115,000 on the motor/trans. it was running with no issues then one day it woulnt start for her. i check it out and it has random spark and fuel so i thought it was a ignition module. i had a spare engine with a bad rod so i changed the ignition module out, nothing. put in a new crank sensor, nothing. any ideas? i worked on it for the biggest part of the day and it might have started 6-8 times and ran for 3-5 seconds every time. i even had a spare computer and nothing. i took both modules to autozone and they tested as working. tried running new grounds also. thanks for any input

Re: 92 cav 2.2 no start
Wednesday, July 29, 2009 12:25 AM
? does the car just turn over and not fire.And if that is the case I would start with doing a psi check on the fuel pressure.And a simple check is to turn the key to the ON position and listen (go to the tank area if u have to) and see if the pump is even kicking on.If the pump is working and low psi the car will not run.Now if the fuel filter is old I would change it out,recheck the psi and if still not start and the psi does not check out to spec,drop the tank and new pump.I do not know what eng u have there.but here are the specs for a mpfi should be 41-47 psi.If it has the single injector throttle body style should be 9-13 psi.Hope this helps.And dropping the tank if that needs to happen is not hard to do.I did my 1st gen in 3hrs thats the install and clean up.

Wednesday, July 29, 2009 10:28 AM
the car cranks but does not fire. it is not a fuel only problem. i can hear the fuel pump run. i had noid lights on the injectors and a inline spark light and neither would hardly ever flash. whats the recomended way to check the fuel presure as these cars do not have schrader valves for fuel pressure gauges. the car is a 2.2 mpfi.
Saturday, August 01, 2009 10:33 PM
Wow no schrader valve I was like (wtf).But in my haynes there is a side note,and it states cars with out this you have to install a adapter between the fuel filter and fuel rail.I cannot elaborate all the specifics but,would recommend buying a haynes manual 38015 1982-1994 gm manual this is a step by step thing.I would change the filter 1st go cheap,then look at checking the psi,and I would go ahead and buy the manual regardless and all the info is in the fuel/exhaust chapter 4 section.I could write a book on each step.I am strongly thinking if the car say for example will run if u spray starting fluid into the intake and run briefly the issue is either the filter is clogged or the pump is weak.The issue clearly is one of the two based on my exper,granted I am a tbi owner they princibley work the same issue wise with ur symptoms.For the heck of it spray some starting fluid into it and lots and if it runs u have narrowed down to the filter and or pump(going bad).I bet the pump is toast with the age my pump died in 98 so,I got 13yrs out of mine.Ok and auto zone and advance both sell this manual in stock all day long.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search