turbo 2.0 manual vs auto - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
turbo 2.0 manual vs auto
Sunday, March 15, 2009 11:59 PM
hey guyz
Im looking for another motor for my car.. and it seems that all ive come across is auto ones that are salvageable...
Ive been told that theres a difference between auto and manual versions of this motor... what are the differences and are you able to modify the auto to work in a 5 speed?

Re: turbo 2.0 manual vs auto
Tuesday, April 28, 2009 7:16 PM
I'm at a school up in cinci where one of my professors was a pontiac dealership tech in the mid 80's. I needed a new motor and he told me there should be no problems going from an auto motor to a manual. just remember to swap over/get a new pilot bearing. I'm in the process of the swap so ill let you know how it goes when I'm done.
Sunday, May 03, 2009 10:25 AM
from what i remember the blocks have slightly different casting for the transmission bolt holes, i think it's do-able, but theres an extra ear on one of them or something.

Monday, December 07, 2009 5:05 PM
you have to cut an extra "ear" off of the block. No big deal...We did plenty back in the early 90's.
Thursday, December 10, 2009 10:07 AM
There is no difference.
I have a 94 2.0 that i converted to 5spd from auto and it has been fine for 4 months.
Same bolt pattern as any 2.0 for the J body platform.
I know, because i am now building a turbo engine, the 2.0 from 87 and the 5 spd tranny bolts right up.
Dunno what that pilot bearing even is?
Thursday, January 21, 2010 9:26 AM
finished the swap and it runs like a champ so theres proof it works
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search