Has anybody tried this switch in a J - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Has anybody tried this switch in a J
Sunday, December 20, 2009 3:36 PM

Re: Has anybody tried this switch in a J
Friday, December 25, 2009 6:06 PM
You're right, it is interesting. I might look in to doing this, or at least see if it is feasible. I would think that this should be a pretty easy swap since there wouldn't be the computer issues like the 4t60e and 4t65e have. It would be interesting to know how much different the mounting setups are between the transmissions.
Saturday, December 26, 2009 4:55 AM
I've been thinking about it myself the past few days but I wonder if the TH440/4T60 would bolt up to the 2.0L 4cyl.
I had that transmission in the Cutlass Supreme I had, that overdrive gear gave me some great gas mileage. On a trip down to Tenn. we made 30mpg. Normal everyday driving we got about 21-25mpg.

Saturday, December 26, 2009 12:15 PM
According to this it fits. I am dumb when it comes to what fits what in the newer GM cars, but it looks like it fits everything except the Quad 4 and Ecotec engines and also fits the 2.8 3.1 and 3.4 V6 engines. The beauty of this swap is that if you set up the transaxle with the 3.73 final drive you will only be taching about 2200RPM in OD with a 24" tire, but have much better acceleration in the other 3 gears as compared to the stock drive ratio. I'm actually thinking of doing this swap in a 3rd gen car and hope that the 4T60 and 4t60E share the same mounting system. If that's the case it should be a fairly easy swap.
Wednesday, January 06, 2010 3:05 PM
Just found this while doing some more searching on the subject, Has better pics than the orignal link I posted.

Thursday, January 28, 2010 8:53 AM
More info about it TH440 Fiero Conversion & Axles

Mods could you please move this to the Transmission forum.

Sunday, January 31, 2010 8:47 PM
I've been reading this and more and more this intrigues me. Especially to avoid the 5-speed swap and if you want to bolt a 3x00 to it... Hmm... I wanna do this.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search