Just bought a 1990 Cav - few questions - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Just bought a 1990 Cav - few questions
Saturday, January 09, 2010 8:41 AM
Hello!

I just bought a 1990 Cavalier for $500. It's ugly (there is a God awful wing on the back, it needs a grille, a turn signal and a side marker) , but it runs and drives, and it's what's getting me back and forth to work right now.

It is about as base model as you can get: No AC, Radio Delete, Manual Steering, etc. It is a 2.2/5-speed.

I am having an issue with a misfire at idle, and at cruising speed sometimes. Also, when cold, it will completely lose power, and will die (just like if I had turned the key off) if I give it anything over quarter throttle when accelerating. When at operating temp, it will pull like crazy through all the gears at WOT.

I figure a set of plugs and wires (and maybe a seafoam cleaning) are in order, but is there much else I might be missing? I don't know much about the 2.2. I'm more of a 60* V6 guy.

Also, did any first gen Cavalier come with a tachometer from factory? If so, would I be better off doing a dash swap, or just buying an aftermarket tach?

Thanks much!

Re: Just bought a 1990 Cav - few questions
Saturday, January 09, 2010 8:42 AM
I keep shooting myself in the foot here...I meant second gen, not first gen.
Saturday, January 09, 2010 10:07 AM
Well, I found some of my issues...

One of the spark plugs was loose in the hole, and was gapped about the width of a gnats ass. On another, the wire wasn't even touching the connector.

New plugs and wires are definitely going to happen here soon, but she runs a hell of a lot better than she did.
Saturday, January 09, 2010 1:48 PM
check your cat, make sure that it isn't plugged or breaking!, i'd do a basic tune up, liek plugs, wires, maybe a fuel filter as well might help your issue......

good luck!

Saturday, January 09, 2010 6:04 PM
Just discovered a coolant leak tonight. I don't know where it's coming from, but it seems to be coming from the rear or side of the engine. I suspect a hose or maybe the water pump. Oh the joys of a $500 car lol!
Sunday, January 10, 2010 2:28 PM
Which side of the engine, driver or passenger side? If it is on the driver's side, it maybe the head gasket, which was a fairly common thing in those years. On the pasenger side there is a bypass hose in the front and one heater hose is in the rear, under the manifold.
Sunday, January 10, 2010 5:03 PM
When I looked at it last night, I couldn't really see much. Today, watched it drip from the back of the water pump. I guess I can't complain about @!#$ breaking on it, at least stuff is cheap.

Today I did have the number two spark blow explode out of it's hole. I figured I was going to have to put a helicoil in, but I put a new plug in just to see if It was stripped, and the new plug tightened down. I even over tightened it, and it seems ok. Weird. I seriously thought I blew a rod though because it's was a "BANG" followed by the sounds of lost compression. Not so, thankfully.
Monday, January 11, 2010 12:58 PM
Got the water pump out and getting ready to stick the new one in. That was a bigger pain in the ass than it looked, but at least I have the tools to work on it.
Sunday, January 24, 2010 11:24 PM
A few months ago I did a headgasket on my 91 2.2 auto, pretty basic setup on these cars. Easy to work on and parts are cheap
Monday, February 01, 2010 2:23 PM
I decided I didn't want to wait for any more surprises, so I sold it and made $200 on it :-)

I stayed in the family though, I got a 1991 Olds 98 (C-body)
Monday, February 15, 2010 12:04 AM
Glad you made money on it, I lost $300 selling mine.

2010 Honda Fit LX

Monday, February 15, 2010 4:37 PM
i just bought one for $350 last week.... running 2.2 3sp auto

i am gone from this forum
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search