Z24 hood on 94 sunbird? - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Z24 hood on 94 sunbird?
Wednesday, May 19, 2010 9:20 AM
Did some searching and found some info. But am not 100% positive yet.
What year hood would I need to do this swap on my 94 Sunbird LE?
Do I need to change the latches?
Any help would be great.
thanks!

Re: Z24 hood on 94 sunbird?
Wednesday, May 19, 2010 2:16 PM
I have done that swap before and you don't need to change the latch mechanism itself, you need to remove the latch fixture that is mounted to your original hood and bolt it to the fiberglass hood.
Any 89-94 Z24 hood will fit, and you can also have the cowl induction if you salvage the air cleaner assembly from the donor Z24 to make the hood functional.
After installing the hood make sure that the latch is catching the safety when partially opened as normal and that the hood doesn't need to be be forced down hard to latch.
After installing the hood on my car the first trip I made on the highway one night when I reached 120kmh the latch released and missed the safety, imploding the windshield and sunroof panel into my face and hands. I was totally stunned and didnt know what happened at first, I thought I was going to die because the hood was blocking my view, there was oncoming traffic and it was even winter time, I managed to look out the passengers side window and see the snow cut to judge and slowly braked the car. If I had any passengers the panic could have been too much to deal with.Now everytime I drive fast I have that fear in the back of my mind
Sunday, May 30, 2010 5:03 PM
if you are in the stl area i have a hood that will work for sale, you will need to paint it.
it is set up for hood pins and still has the latch on it. make me an off man

Saturday, June 05, 2010 10:57 AM
for swapping onto a subird with flip-ups, i'm pretty sure you have to do a small amount of notching on the fibreglass hood.... so the lights go up and down freely (if your car has flip ups)
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search