stiffening up my bird - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
stiffening up my bird
Thursday, February 18, 2010 10:16 AM
Ok well now that i've got my 93 sunbird convertible running I'm looking for a way to stiffen up the ride a little bit. Obviously the shocks and struts could use replacing but when i do i kinda wanted to replace them with a shock or strut thats a little stiffer then factory would've been. The problem honestly is i'm used to driving my 65 falcon that I built to ride like a go cart that was lowered and had big block springs in it so no flex. I don't want it that stiff as even little bumps hurt but I do want to not lean as much.

So far I can only find the KYB GR2 or monroe sensatrac struts. In shocks I have a choice between the KYB GR2, Sensatrac, and the KYB Gas adjust. I've run the gas adjust shocks in my falcon and they stiffened it up a crapload, if a strut was available i'd definetly go that route. what are your thoughts??

Does anybody know if theres a manufacturer of spring blocks that I could use to stiffen the ride (eliminates part of the spring travel making it stiffer). I'm not really wanting to spend 250 on lowering springs but I don't wanna cut my springs on a strut car with progressive rate coils.

Re: stiffening up my bird
Saturday, March 27, 2010 3:31 PM
V6Z24.com Suspension FAQ

If you only swap in new dampers you aren't going to see any big change in ride quality. The spring rate determines that. if you really want to stiffen it up, The Canuck springs with GR2s is your best bet. There are some generic spring rubbers out there, you can pick them up at any of the normal auto parts stores, but they don't last very long, maybe 6 months or so at most. $250 for a set of springs is cheap compared to some of the applications out there.

Don't run the Gas-A-Just shocks with the GR2 struts. Weird handling is all I'll say about that.

Re: stiffening up my bird
Wednesday, May 19, 2010 9:38 PM
i think JEGS or SUMMIT RACING has spring blocks i know they come in different sizes too, i looked into getting some for my bird to but i wanted to raise it up in the rear cuz my 17's rub going over large bumps n stuff
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search