2nd/1st gen front end swap - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2nd/1st gen front end swap
Saturday, June 05, 2010 1:29 AM
a buddy of mine tells me that it is possible/ not even that difficult to swap the front end (bumper, hood, headlights, fenders) from a 1st gen onto a second gen. i ask this question because i have a 1st gen z24 parts car kicking around, and i have to put my '92 sunbird back together, so i was wondering has anyone done this before? and are there any tricky points? I love the look of the 1st gen front end. so any input/advise is much appreciated

Neal
pics of the donor car

and what i'd like to see it on

Re: 2nd/1st gen front end swap
Saturday, June 05, 2010 4:10 AM
seems kinda like your starting ass-backwards here.

instead of building the sunbird, y are you not just fixing the cavalier?

also, are the rims on the cavalier up for grabs? as u said, its just a parts car!
but dunno if you need or not, considering your bird has no wheels

Saturday, June 05, 2010 10:45 AM
i know it seems ass backwards, but the '86 is not fixable, far too rotten, and its been written off by local public insurance. I would really like to use those rims on the bird, but as of right now, i may be open to sell for the right price :p.... keep in mind, i live in manitoba canada
Saturday, June 05, 2010 5:56 PM
Here be your answer . I might be mistaken, but I think this is a Canada car. Someone that knows the guy will correct me though. Very nicely done IMO.

Saturday, June 05, 2010 6:32 PM
very nice, kinda looks like he extended the front lid a bit too.... ok, now that i know it can be done.... is it difficult?
Saturday, June 05, 2010 7:28 PM
Neal Coveney wrote:very nice, kinda looks like he extended the front lid a bit too.... ok, now that i know it can be done.... is it difficult?

Well, I picked up some '89 parts for my 1st gen. I'm doin' the referse of what you are. I'm putting the Subird flip-ups on my '86 Z. I got the whole dog house and headlight harness. Everything should bolt up with no issues. I don't think you'll run into any problems. There is a guy on V6 that put a Phase 1 doghouse on his 1st gen hatchback.
Saturday, June 05, 2010 7:31 PM
I want this year of Sunbird header in the corner of this pic instead of the one I have .

Saturday, June 05, 2010 11:10 PM
the front end of the white '90 gt? i have that one, and the full front clip of the black one still kicking around
Sunday, June 06, 2010 6:52 AM
Neal Coveney wrote:the front end of the white '90 gt? i have that one, and the full front clip of the black one still kicking around

Too bad you're so far away . I'd take at least one of those doghouses off your hands .
Sunday, June 06, 2010 10:00 PM
lol, i'll probably have them for a while....
Wednesday, June 16, 2010 3:40 PM
I'd want the flip out windows, but the $ for shipping to Allentown, PA would most likely be cost prohibitive.

USPS has the priority mail "if it fits, it costs $x", maybe if you happen to cross the border (yeah that's a long trip from Manitoba) on a trip sometime, you could send them from wherever that may be (if you're willing to sell them)?

So does your town still have the Moose playing hockey?

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 10:21 PM
of course i'd be willing to sell them ..... and you really think the shipping would be that bad? they aren't exactly heavy, or big.
Thursday, June 17, 2010 6:33 AM
Yeah, if you're able to find out the cost to the 18053 zip code...

The reason I think the cost would be high is that at the yards around here I can get them both for $20, but there's also that supply problem of not too many to be found in the yards anymore.

The ones I have are perfectly fine, but they are on a Skyhawk, so they have the chrome trim instead of the black.
Tuesday, June 22, 2010 11:22 AM
lol, well, i'll let you know when i find out
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search