Brake question on 1991 Z24 - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Brake question on 1991 Z24
Tuesday, October 26, 2010 9:47 PM
My car is parked right now because I need a battery and a windshield at least to get the car on the road. While I was looking the car over for any obvious problems, I decided to push down all the pedals. Throttle goes to the floor, so does the clutch (shifts into reverse without any power to the motor. Apparently this is normal, but this is my first manual car so I wasn't aware that worked, but it shifts fairly cleanly to reverse and back to neutral.). The brake pedal makes it 1/3 of the way down and stops really hard. Is this normal?

Part of me is thinking that for some reason, the car needs power for the brakes to work properly or have the pedal go further down. Another part of me thinks the brake fluid should be flushed and refilled with new stuff, and a lot of me hopes there isn't a big expensive problem with the brakes, because I only have a few hundred dollars to get this thing running and ready for the road.

2010 Honda Fit LX

Re: Brake question on 1991 Z24
Wednesday, October 27, 2010 8:15 PM
The power booster runs off vacumm! So yes the pedal will get hard to a degree,and not necessarily go to the floor not running.Once you do this with any car it will do this until started and the vacumm builds pressure to normal operation.I would not fret over it.Unless you have a fluid leak off the braking system(lines,whl cyldrs, or the brake master is leaking).OK hope this answers ur ?.If I left something off and incorrect may others add or correct it.

Re: Brake question on 1991 Z24
Wednesday, October 27, 2010 9:34 PM
Thank you! I was just praying I didn't need to spend money I didn't have on my cheap car. Just have to get it inspected and it'll be ready to roll!

2010 Honda Fit LX
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search