battery drains while car is off 94 2.2L - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
battery drains while car is off 94 2.2L
Sunday, November 14, 2010 10:22 PM
i just got done replacing the head gasket on my 94 2.2L. now when i leave the car sit over night the battery gets completely drained. i cannot find anything being left on. the car is completely stock other than a tach, aftermarket head unit, and subs/amp. i dont know if this is something that happened while the gasket was being replaced, or if it is just a coincidence and totally unrelated to the work that was just done. i have taken the power wire for the amp off the battery and unhooked the power from the aftermarket tach.......and it still drains the battery. i put the battery from my truck in it (that i know works great) and i get the same results. i am at a loss. anyone know where to start lol?

Re: battery drains while car is off 94 2.2L
Sunday, November 14, 2010 11:29 PM
Not to sound like an ass, but are you leaving the key in accessory mode? I know with my '92, the accessory was one turn toward you and you could pull the key out. Does the car make the door ajar sound when you have the key out and the door open?

2010 Honda Fit LX
Monday, November 15, 2010 6:08 AM
Tony T Crams wrote:Not to sound like an ass, but are you leaving the key in accessory mode? I know with my '92, the accessory was one turn toward you and you could pull the key out. Does the car make the door ajar sound when you have the key out and the door open?

no it is not in the acc position. nothing turns on in the car when the key is out (radio, blower motor, etc...). the "dinger" does not sound when i open the door (while they keys are out).
Monday, November 15, 2010 11:50 AM
i just checked the current draw on the battery. with nothing turned on (that i am aware of), there is a constant draw of .25 amps. is this normal?
Monday, November 15, 2010 4:53 PM
.25 sounds like more than normal. I don't know much but I've been having the same problem on my 91, I keep the battery disconnected overnight. Of course my car is a bit of a beater so a number of things could be wrong. Try pulling different fuses and checking the current each time you pull one, maybe you can isolate which system is responsible for the drain. I plan to do that on my car but I haven't purchased a multimeter yet. Good luck.
Monday, November 15, 2010 4:54 PM
my draw went from .25A to .01A when i pulled the fuse for the cig lighter. not sure what is causing it, but i just left the fuse out for now. i use it every now and then to charge my cell phone, so id like to figure out what's cause it. i guess if worst comes to worst, i just run some new wire, put an inline fuse in it, and call it good.
Monday, November 15, 2010 5:24 PM
how do u check the draw? im having the same issues except i have an 04 sunfire.

Monday, November 15, 2010 5:35 PM
Check the convenience module (the dinger). They're known to go bad and draw excessively.

Monday, November 15, 2010 5:45 PM
will do, but how do u check for the draw if it isnt that

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 1:58 PM
I forgot all about the lighter!

I used to blow Yellow #20 fuses on a regular basis on my old '84 SkyHawk, my solution was to take the lighter out of the hole and not use it--stopped blowing fuses.

Since you can check the draw, try just removing the lighter itself and see if the number dips.
Tuesday, November 23, 2010 6:08 AM
to check the current draw...............you need a multi meter (volt, ohm, current meter) and someone that knows how to use it

Thursday, December 02, 2010 11:47 PM
Those are easy to use. They usually come with instructions if you've never used one before.

2010 Honda Fit LX
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search