92 sunbird 2.0 vert engine blow what do I do? - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
92 sunbird 2.0 vert engine blow what do I do?
Tuesday, December 14, 2010 7:17 PM
I have a one owner 92 Sunbird convertible. The engine threw a rod at 40,000 miles. The body is in near mint condition. What is the least expensive or best way to replace the engine? Crate or Remanufactured?
Would a 3.1 engine swap be too much of a task? I have heard that the 2.0 engines are notorious for overheating due to a design flaw in the heads. Is there a website showing how to do the engine swap? I remember seeing one a few years back. Thanks. I'd hate to see this car go to waste and I'd rather do the work myself as a winter project.

Re: 92 sunbird 2.0 vert engine blow what do I do?
Tuesday, December 14, 2010 7:19 PM
I've been also looking for a 3.1 v6 5 speed manual sunbird vert. If anyone knows of one for sale. Please let me know.
Tuesday, December 14, 2010 9:48 PM
Donnie B wrote: Is there a website showing how to do the engine swap?
Hi
This isn't exactly what you are looking for, but may be helpful in deciding if it is something you want to do.
http://www.v6z24.com/howto/3400/
Good luck and let us know how it turns out, if you do it.
Wednesday, December 15, 2010 12:50 AM
Unfortunately the car is a 2.0 4 cylinder. I'd probably have to replace the transmission and computer and God knows what to make it work. Thanks for the information. It was very helpful. It would be a shame to junk this car. And putting in another 2.0 is just asking for trouble. Those engines were terrrible. Does anybody know how to swap this 2.0 for a 3.1 or anthing better? It really is a nice car and worth the trouble. It still smells new!
Wednesday, December 15, 2010 4:06 AM
Find a donor J body at your local junkyard or local classifieds for for all the parts to do a v6 swap, Berreta's might work too since they shared alot of parts with j bodies. You have a choice of a 2.8 or 3.1v6 for jbodies from 1985 till 1994 from Firenza's, Cimarron's, Cavaliers & Sunbirds. www.car-parts.com for a search of junkyards.

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 8:46 AM
You're going to need to swap everything anyways (trans, wiring harness, ECM), unless you're putting another 2.0 in. The 2.0 Turbo has a different bellhousing bolt pattern than any other engine. So, if you want a 3.1, you'll need everything- engine, trans, axles, harness, ECM, shift cables, etc, etc, etc. If you're going to do all that, put a 3400 in. Same amount of work, better performance.

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 1:11 PM
Interesting the hate for the 2.0...I had mine for over 150,000 miles and never had a problem with overheating, or motorwise any other real problems. I always found it to be a well-built, reliable motor and easy to work on.
Friday, December 17, 2010 10:49 PM
I agree. I've seen the 2.0 SOHC running for just as long as LN2s.

2010 Honda Fit LX
Monday, December 20, 2010 1:59 AM
I've had nothing but bad luck with the 2.0. I have owned 3 sunbirds all 1992's. The heads are apparently defective and the engines are proned to over-heating problems.
The first two I owned I had to put rebuild head in them and they went for 160,000 miles or more. This last one threw a rod. Not sure why because I wasn't driving it.
Tuesday, December 21, 2010 6:28 PM
Everyone already said what I was about to say. Cheapest easiest and least fun way to go is just to find a 2.0 motor at the junkyard. Most reputable junkyards make sure their engines run before they sell them. Better way to go is find a 3.1 z24 cavi donor car and swap everything!! Including the ECU. It's all bolt on except the wiring harness, but that's not too bad. just remember where all the plugs go, better yet label them. If your going that far, you may as well get the 3400 motor to go with it. Makes more power, and somewhat easier to work on than the 3.1. Make sure it's not the quad cam crap outta the cutlass supremes. They are a real bitch to do anything simple on. Someone posted a link above. I am a member of v6z24 and it is very very helpfull. Most guys on there will help you out, or try. But so many ppl have done the 3400 swap it's second nature, so just listen to their advice. One thing not mentioned is the mounts. Here's a guy that can make one for you: http://www.v6z24.com/jbodyforum/3400-3500-mounts-update-x-mas-sale-t109634.html
Have fun. If I were you i'd definitely do the 3400 swap. I wanna do one in mine so bad
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search