New to Cavaliers. So far so not good...throttle problem - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
New to Cavaliers. So far so not good...throttle problem
Saturday, July 16, 2011 4:55 AM
OK, its a 5spd, not sure which motor. I think its just a sohc quad four (?). Anyway, its throttle body The problem I'm having is if I go over 1/4 throttle it bucks and sputters like its sucking flat. This comes along with running like crap when its cold UNTIL the check engine light comes on, which guess is when it has warmed up. So, yeah, until warm it don't want to Rev and once the check engine light comes on I can Rev at 1/4 throttle and drive it, just can't go more than about 1/4 throttle or the engine don't seem to be able to keep up. I dunno what it is. Maybe egr valve? I'm putting a can of seafoam in it tomorrow to see if it helps at all.

More info available if needed. I just bought the car lastnight.

I need this on the road for when my baby boy gets here.

Thanks in advance for the help

Re: New to Cavaliers. So far so not good...throttle problem
Saturday, July 16, 2011 10:52 PM
In your response please indicate year model,being you said it is throttle body leads me to believe it probably is a 2.0 or 2.2.With the year model helps alot on diagnostics.I will not write a book on this.However I would do a full tune up,new wires,plugs,cap/rotor button,new FUEL filter,air filter and pcv valve.I would suggest removing the air cleaner and clean the throttle body with THROTTLE BODY cleaner (yes they do make this) sold at advance,auto zone,napa.Now once you have done this and might suggest changing the oil and filter so u know the exact mileage on the oil changes intervals.IF these items do not clear it up we can go from there.And as for the egr yes it can cause a idle,running issue hot or cold.Not sure how your model is on that but if it has a vacumm line hook up,try disconnecting it and see if that clears it up.However if only a electrical plug in to it,you will need to remove and clean the carbon off the metal inside the pintal that moves up/down,use carb cleaner or brake cleaner.If the diaphram inside is worn and sucking vacumm it will make the car run poorly.The diaphram is not replaceable just the whole part!This is it for now.Tired I am and please tell us the yr model,mileage as well.

Saturday, July 16, 2011 11:49 PM
If you are unsure of the motor, then list the 8th vin character. I can tell you or someone else can.

Sunday, July 17, 2011 8:21 AM
Sorry guys. I was frustrated at the time I posted this thread.

Its a 1991. 8th vin character is 'G'
Sunday, July 17, 2011 12:05 PM
I finally got some time to tinker and think I may be onto something.

It wont start cold. I restarted the car a few times and finally got it to start idling right, but that was after sputtering and throwing a fit til a sensor or choke opened. Once that happened it idled and revved fine. I didn't get a chance to drive it, but thought I'd post this so maybe it'll help.

I'm not sure where the tps is, but that's my next thing to check on.
Sunday, July 17, 2011 9:21 PM
Okay. It is a 2.2 4cyl. Also the tps is most likely on the throttle boddy. I know it has two bolts and looks something like this. Courtesy of Autozone. lol

Monday, July 18, 2011 5:25 AM
Is there a way to test the TPS? There's no idle air control anywhere is there?

I found a broken plug that goes into the thermostat housing. I don't know if it has anything to do with it, but it'll b replaced soon. Ill get more info on the plug in a bit. For now, its broke off and I have to find a way to pull the rest of the plug out of where it plugs in.
Monday, July 18, 2011 7:49 AM
Looked at the broken plug on the thermostat housing. It has a black and a yellow wire going to it. The whole thing looks like it screws into the housing and is sitting above another plug.

Don't know what either one is except probably a plug for the temp gauge and one for the fan? The fan is on all the time it seems and the temp gauge appears to work, so I have little to no idea.
Monday, July 18, 2011 1:09 PM
I believe there is a word from Ron about how to test TPS in this thread...

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=28&i=11739&t=11739
Tuesday, July 19, 2011 12:09 PM
OK, thanks to all of you. I really hope I'm not jumping the gun here, but I went to mess with my car yesterday morning and the battery was dead. So, $50 later I put a new battery in and the car fired right up. No hesitation whatsoever. I wouldn't have though a dying battery could cause those problems.

If I'm wrong, ill b sure to let you all know with a lot of- @$$#%&-+:$@';+(?:"!%@€°=×°¢¶_×
Tuesday, July 19, 2011 1:07 PM
I had it happen on my wife's truck with corosion at the battery terminal (side mount, so I couldn't see it just by glancing). Yeah, in that case I didn't suspect the battery would be good enough to start the truck, but not to keep it running smooth.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 2:32 PM
I would have thought the alternator could bear the load with no electrical stuff on.

The glory was short lived though. The car starts, idles, and runs awesome. Now, there's another problem....

My blinkers blink slow and my windshield wipers are slow. I read up on it on the forums and everyone said the relays go bad, so I replaced it, but nope. I'm almost positive it was the right one. Little silver canister looking thing under the dash. Pretty sure all the bulbs are good, but ill check again when it gets dark here.

I'll not let this car beat me. Lol
Thursday, July 21, 2011 2:10 PM
Symptoms of the first issue have returned. Starting to suspect fuel pump. Sigh
Friday, July 22, 2011 12:51 PM
The broken plug is the coolant temp sensor, and yes it'll make the car run like crap because the ecm uses that data for everything. Have you gone to autozone and gotten a code key yet? It's free and you can use it to read out the trouble codes so you don't have to guess what's wrong.
Friday, July 22, 2011 1:35 PM
Lmao. I just got on here to post about that again. Yeah, I managed to hook it up and noticed a difference just starting it.

My local auto parts store don't have the pigtail I need. Its broken off into the sensor and I need both now.

Just glad to hopefully have the gremlins out of this car. All that would be left is fixing these darn blinkers.

Thanks though, I'm hoping this works.

WISH ME LUCK! Lol
Saturday, July 23, 2011 3:26 PM
Well, that was $11 well spent. Runs awesome with the new coolant temp sensor.
Now I have to wait for my blinker switch assembly to get here, so I can get it on the road.

Thanks again to everyone for trying to help. Hopefully this will help someone else in the future.
Saturday, July 23, 2011 11:28 PM
Ryan I go to my local u pull it yard ALOT here lately for first gen stuff.They have ALOT of 2nd gen cars there.SO if you or anyone ELSE needs a NO longer made part or something specific just post up.I may need to post a thread specific so there is no confusion where to ask.I have scored a Z 24 hood(1st gen fiberglass with scoops),side skirts,rear bumper,coolant tanks,trunk lid, and going this week for 2 solid doors for a coupe for someone else (1st gen).Ok I will just make a new post for wanted items to make it easy.

Thursday, September 22, 2011 4:37 PM
Ron if u would happen to come across a front lower valance for an 87 z. I have been looking for one for awhile. I found one at a junkyard online but they wanted $300 shipped.
Friday, September 23, 2011 8:36 PM
Right on dale.I went last wk to my upull it again.They only added one first gen a 87 sedan.I am considering some other locations for parts further out.I just lately have not had the time to call them and see at 1 place if they let you pull your own stuff.The other place is about two hrs away (ouch).I will keep you in mind.

Friday, September 23, 2011 8:42 PM
anyone interested in some z parts if i find some tomorrow? only thing is im in cali.

Friday, September 23, 2011 9:47 PM
I don't care as long as u ain't charging an outrageous price. I will pay shipping I know that won't be cheap kinda an oversized item. I know a guy that molds carbon fiber wouldn't mind seeing if he could could make them.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search