Hot running issues in 90 base 2.2 - Page 2 - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Hot running issues in 90 base 2.2
Sunday, January 01, 2012 10:13 PM
Well it had a new one put on like 2 weeks before I bought it I have the recipet and the original cat (found in trunk with a few other old parts that were replaced at the same time(cat, sparkplugs, sp wires, old fuel pump, air filter, oil filter box))

Tuesday, January 03, 2012 8:33 PM
Well I found out that the old dvom I was using was broken so I reohmed the sensors and the coolant temperature sensor is bad and I hook my car up on to the scan tool for obd1 we have at school and everything looks fine except instead of running rich and causing the backfire it's running lean so I'm going to replace the ct sensor like tomorrow or the next day and I'll see what that dose and post up what happens thanks for yinz help
Thursday, January 05, 2012 12:38 PM
I changed my coolant temp sensor and now it's stopped back firing so I belive that's why it was lean too
Thursday, January 05, 2012 8:55 PM
Well thats great and I hope my suggestions steered you in the right direction and obviously some of my tips panned out?Anyway cool deal buddy.

Thursday, January 05, 2012 9:41 PM
Oh and now I have another Q I have a aftermarket coolant gauge and sending unit could I just unscrew the sensor with the single green wire and plug my aftermarket sending unit in?

And yes ron you were Alot of help
Friday, January 06, 2012 8:11 PM
Yes use the aftermarket sender and run new wiring to your gauge.Tired long day drvg and not sure if this would create a problem bc the ecm reads the coolant temp might need to think on how to bypass that or tie it into your new sender.Being your orig sender wire grounds and reads the temp I idk right now.Should be easy to do.Just stupid tired and chilling out.

Friday, January 06, 2012 10:48 PM
Well the one i have from my old truck is a electric in a mechanical style so I can't extend the wire on it so I'm going to get a different one. And the sensor im gonna remove to plug mine in is the one for the dummy light
Sunday, January 08, 2012 11:31 AM
Well I couldn't get the gauge to read so I'm gonna go down to the youpull it and try to find a cluster with the gauges instead of just dummy lights what years could I take the gauges from(mine are still the round 1st gen style)? And is all the wiring there for all the new gauges?
Sunday, January 08, 2012 1:46 PM
I'm gonna guess since yours is a base model like my '89 is it has a similar bezel like this but with dummy lights instead of the gauges

If you want gauges like this you have to look for 1982-85 Cavaliers in your junkyard that you frequent. They're quite rare as Ron can attest too. Mosey on over to the 1st gen forums and you'll see a Speedo post by Orlen, he might be able too hook you up with one if he has them in junkyards near him plus that post is a great writeup on how to tear apart the bezel and gauges .
Now you could go another route and buy aftermarket quad gauges, the ones with 4 gauges in one big round pod, they'll fit in our bezel.

Sunday, January 08, 2012 4:23 PM
That's exactly my dash except I have dummy lights, the upgraded radio, & a rear defogger. I saw the calibration from v6 to l4 on v6z24.com so would i beable to use one from a 3.1 and have it recalibrate it to a 4 cylinder?
Saturday, January 14, 2012 2:08 PM
Can I use any Cavaliers analog gauge cluster thats from 82-90? Or dose it have to be between 82-85? I'm goin out to another yard tomorrow the first one didn't have anything and the guy at the one I'm going to tomorrow said they just got a couple of 88 cavaliers the other day so if anyone has an answer it would be greatly appreciated thank you

Saturday, January 14, 2012 3:12 PM
as far as I know cavaliers after 1985 didn't come with the optional analog gauges pictured above. However Cadillac offered the same gauges in the Cimarrons all the way till 1988. Similar gauges were also an option on 1st gen(1982-87) Sunbirds. good luck in the hunt.

Saturday, January 14, 2012 5:06 PM
Okay thanks for that. Did any SkyHawks or Firenzas come with them?
Sunday, January 15, 2012 12:51 PM
Well I went to the junk yard there's a million and a half sunbirds (with 2.0ohc), sunfire, and 2nd& 3rd gen cavs but none with the analog gauges but I picked up a nice non broken z24 grill and I think I'm gonna go again to get it's body kit
Wednesday, January 18, 2012 6:18 PM
I fixed the backfire by replacing the iat sensor it's a dealer only part but I graves it off one that was from a junk car
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search