hello with a 92 4 cyl 5 speed - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
hello with a 92 4 cyl 5 speed
Monday, August 12, 2013 7:11 PM
Hiya. Just joined the group after lurking and searching your fourms for info for the past couple of days.
I have a 1992 Chevy Cav, 2.0 ohv with a 5 speed man. I bought this car 4 years ago for $500 with the intent of good mpg and driving it till it died. 4 years later still running like a top with nothing but brakes and tires put on it, well that and oil changes. I have been kicking around the idea of playing around with it some. I have done a home made "CAI" and fixing to replace the rusted out muffler with a "turbo" muffler from a truck (2 1/4 OD).
I guess my question is after surfing around a bit on your website and searching a bit I was wondering what worked well for these engines? I am an ASE certified auto tech with 30 years exp. So i know my way around a motor, but I also know the guys that love these car's will know the most about what works and what won't.
So here is what I drive, about 80 miles or so to and from work each day, mainly interstate. 36 MPG w/o A/C, I knew they had a turbo version of the sunbird but wondered about buying/building my own turbo set up. The turbo and piping with cooler isn't a prob, it's the OBD 1 chip I'd need. How about header? Much gain on a stock engine? Rebuild isn't out of the question but if I do it would be for a turbo build.
Soo many questions, guess I'll see what kind of responce I get and go from here. Thanks in advance for any and all info guys!

Re: hello with a 92 4 cyl 5 speed
Tuesday, August 13, 2013 7:47 AM
Unless the engine was replaced you most likely have the 2.2L engine. There's good info in these posts here and here about Performance and Turbo upgrades.

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 3:31 AM
Perfect that second one had alot of the info I was looking for. I am not wanting to try and get 1/4 mile times near that low. Hell prob will never see the track.
So i do have another question or two you guys may or may not know.
Has anyone found a certain head that flows better? Or a block that stands up to the boost better than another? I am not really intrested on going with the Turbo 2.0, just playing with the 2.2.
Thank you again for pointing out that thread!
Thursday, August 15, 2013 2:07 PM
Juicedz4 may know. He built a crazy 4cyl

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Thursday, August 15, 2013 5:24 PM
Here's another link I found in my favorites Slowolej Turbo Cavy info
Not sure if these guys are still in business but they might have something Chevy Cavalier world

Saturday, August 17, 2013 9:03 AM
HOLY @!#$! SpikeJ that is EXCATLY what I was looking for! Might have to pick slowolej brain about a prom and other details but that write up is great!

Thank you so much gentlemen, you have no idea how much time, money and headaches info like this saves me!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search