Replacing center console on a '94 rs auto - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Replacing center console on a '94 rs auto
Monday, October 28, 2013 8:16 AM
I have a '94 rs auto and the shifter is really vague and the the center console is broken. I picked up a new center console at Pull-A-Part. I want to replace it today but I don't know how to get the auto knob off. The knob in the junk yard was broken so I just pulled the clip out, twisted it with a crescent wrench, and when it popped off the top I cut the beaded plastic linkage inside the shifter so I could pull the console off. I don't want to be doing that to my car.

Any help is appreciated, I just have no idea what to do with that plastic beaded/cable thing running down the inside of the shifter.

Re: Replacing center console on a '94 rs auto
Monday, October 28, 2013 1:40 PM
It's been years since I pulled an auto shifter apart. I would recommend a visit to V6Z24.com, take a look around, then ask the question if you can't find an answer.

Re: Replacing center console on a '94 rs auto
Thursday, October 31, 2013 9:17 PM
Now it has been a touch since I doodled with a 2nd gen but thoughts.I do believe the the T handle has a torq bit head or allen wrench screw that releases the handle.If this is not present laying down in the floor looking at the front of the handle from the radio head looking back it should have a C clip (I do think this is the correct) item to pop the handle off.I have removed these and the C clip is the hold down for the handle itself.keep in mind the console probably has 4 or 6 screws holding it,like back in the ash tray for the rear and or screws on the side and possible for screws in the pockets near the E brake on recall for the 2nd gen.The console should just slide over the shifter and as for the plastic strap on the gear selection I am a touch rusty on how that disconnects but not impossible.Hope this helps.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search