94 sunbird 2.0 Turbo and 5spd swap - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
94 sunbird 2.0 Turbo and 5spd swap
Thursday, February 06, 2014 9:58 PM
Hey guys, got a thread on v6z24, so for those of you who aren't on there ill copy this over here. Thanks for reading.

So about 5 years ago I started getting parts for this swap and being the good daily driver it was, and never having any money, I never got around to actually going through with this.

Well a few weeks ago the ole th125 trans decided to start throwing some of its guts around internally so I quit driving it before it blew up for good.

So began the parts search for the rest of the parts I needed.

Back up to 2008ish...

Found a turbo grand am in the local salvage yard. Eventually I got the wild hair to purchase the drivetrain.

Layers of filth.

Of course the clutch was shot

89 355 s10 blazer
94 sunbird, 2.0 turbo 5spd getrag swap
Turbonetics turbo, intercooler, E85 20psi

Re: 94 sunbird 2.0 Turbo and 5spd swap
Thursday, February 06, 2014 9:58 PM
So then I had a tranny, harness and turbo stuff, but no engine.

Spent a long time looking for a turbo engine with no luck.

THen one day on ebay, I FIND ONE! Well he decides to not sell it, gave it to somone local....BUMMER. I had told him i wanted just the engine and head.

Well, several weeks later i get an email saying that he had been told somone (I) was loooking for those parts, and low and behold, all he wanted was the harness and few other things for a fiero....

The motor had supposedly been rebuilt, it was an engine that came out of a gm test car in Michigan. Engine even had some special sensors in it, regardless, it was a shortblock that I had been looking for.

Take it to my local machine shop, have them go through it again to double check everything.... Unfortunatly the crankshaft where the key goes into the end of it to keep the crank gear from spinning is a little worn, so there is some slop in the gear rotationally.. Its not bad, im going to jb weld the woodruff key to give it even more fighting chance. If years down the road it gets bad enough to effect the timing or something ill replace the crank. Shouldn't be an issue tho.

So the block checks out good. Fresh pistons. Arp hardware.

Some of the new engine pics before it went to machine shop

89 355 s10 blazer
Thursday, February 06, 2014 9:59 PM
I had already decided to use the N/A intake tb and injectors/rail, but for the life of me couldn't find any! I knew they were on my car but the car DID still run, and moving it was going to be an issue if not... Plus I wanted the whole drivetrain ready to swap in before I tore ANYTING off my car.

Well, after dealing with a guy on ebay that SHOWED he had the parts but actually didn't I got pissed off an went out to start ripping the stuff off my car.

Plan was, to tow or drive the car back to where my parents live because they have a big garage and my thousands of dollars of tools from when I was an auto tech.

It was about 50 degrees outside and I had a craftsman ratchet and socket set and after about 4 mins into it, I said screw it and next thing I know, a few hours later I have the whole drivetrain out haha...

(some of these pics may be redundant)

89 355 s10 blazer
Thursday, February 06, 2014 10:02 PM

New block with flywheel

AHOLES never gave me a cam alignment tool, and they are obviously impossible to get by themselves... so....

lol manhandled the trans onto it

Couple gallons of degreaser im cleaning all my parts in

Nasty turbo valve cover

And that's where im at at the moment.

I ordered about 1500 dollars in parts, waiting for them to all show up. Obviously im at the cylinder head now, so waiting for that to show up. That was also a HARD find. Finally came across ONE user that had one on ebay. No parts stores had any in their warehouses!

Every maintanence item is going to be new... Got all belts, hoses, rad, therm, cv axles, clutch, master, slave, you name it.

Will give more updates as more parts arrive.

89 355 s10 blazer
Thursday, February 06, 2014 10:03 PM
A few things I need info wise for anyone, Im using an 89 turbo grand am harness, and the car is a 94 sunbird. If anyone has any of the wiring diagrams on file or can scan them it would be greatly appreciated. I can start swapping harness over at any point as soon as I have that.

89 355 s10 blazer
Thursday, February 06, 2014 10:04 PM
Man what a week its been so far.

Been sick of course, Monday, my cylinder head was supposed to show up. Luckilly I was home sick, so I KNEW I could catch the UPS man...

Well, 630 I heard his truck, had my porch light on, I opened the inside door and stood by the door looking at his truck.. Kept waiting and waiting, finally I saw his shadow walking behind his truck, so I grabbed my shoes real quick and ran outside. He drove down my street and did a u turn and hauled ass by.

I walked over to my dark neighbors house, nobody was home, and the dumbass put the "sorry we missed you sticker" on his door. He didn't even look at the frickin address. Our two doors are like 30 foot apart. I was so mad.

I called UPS. Told them what happened and they said they could just hold it and I could pick it up. Which is BS because its 30 min drive one way.

So they called me back and said they can hold it for me tomorrow. I said no you said tonight, I need it now. She said im sorry, that driver wont get back till 9 and we close at 7. I said ok fine, just ship it tomorrow then, because I work second shift and have noway to pick it up.

my roommate works 1st shift so I knew he could sign for it tomorrow,

Ask what time I would get here tomorrow she said it should be around 530..

Tomorrow comes around, call them from work at 6, they said the package is at the facility waiting for me to pick it up. I said IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE SENT TODAY, THIS IS THE SECONDTIME YOU GUYS MESSED UP. now I have to make an hour long drive tomorrow morning to get the dumb thing.

So I left work this evening in my blazer, and get halfway home and my damn clutch blew out. Now I have no way to get the package tomorrow either and have no vehicle to drive.

what a mess.

89 355 s10 blazer
Thursday, February 06, 2014 10:04 PM
Feeling better today, just have this sinus crap still... I play on going out and slapping a new clutch in my truck before work tomorrow, then this weekend getting a lot of work done on the car.

Got most of my parts in.

89 355 s10 blazer
Thursday, February 06, 2014 10:05 PM
OK NEED ADVICE!

All I really need now is lifters and followers... well, on the followers, there are 3 styles at the parts store. All same part number, but different followers in the boxes!

There are ones like my stock one, but the end is a little different length, and no oil hole...

There is a larger casting but all the contact points are same as stock, but no oil hole..

then there is ones just like stock but there were only TWO...

What is the oil hole for??? Is it necessary, or a manufacture error, or something they redesigned part way though the production or what.

89 355 s10 blazer
well, got a little work done this weekend, not near as much as I planned, the attention whore of a blazer I own needed more work and as its my only driveable ride it won...

Anyways, decided to at least gasket match the head, removing the meat out of the intake port where the injector is seemed like a worthy quick mod. Didn't see any sense in going any further than that.

Here is before with black paint showing the blocked off material:

think it took less than 30 mins to hog out the material. didn't get crazy on polishing it down, just got it a smooth flow path, here is part way in to it.

Done

New cam

Ok, MORE inconsistancies.. Getting sick of this.

4 of my 8 lifters have the center "nipple" piece that moves in and out.

Im thinking the ones with that nipple are used with the rockers with the oil hole. Any guesses? Where is slowolej at? :/

89 355 s10 blazer
In my opinion more than likely only the lifters with the nipple on top will work with the rockers with the bleed holes and NOT vice versa, which, if true is bull@!#$ as melling should have different part numbers and a note stating....

anyways, im going to call melling in the morning and see what they tell me....

I should have looked to see what rockers came out of what boxes as they are date stamped, all the rockers are made in early 01, and one is late 01 and one is 03....and only two of them are the oil hole style, so im guessing that's the newer style. but then again my stock 94 has the oil hole style so that doesn't make sense either.

I just don't see how the lifter with no plunder in the top oil hole would work with a rocker arm with a hole in it, the lifter would never bleed up...

bout ready to put an lsx in here and be done with it :lol:

89 355 s10 blazer
Thursday, February 06, 2014 10:06 PM
More work.

Took a lot of pics of the followers and lifters so if I have any issues I can look back and see which parts were on which cylinder.

2 piece cover to make head removal easier

89 355 s10 blazer

Thursday, February 06, 2014 10:07 PM
Woud someone like to tell me where the hell to find the oil fill/dipstic tube O-ring at? Same with the Distributor O ring 1972943.

89 355 s10 blazer
Thursday, February 06, 2014 10:40 PM
I am no engine tear down guy but.I know when I bought a head gasket kit for my 87 mazda truck it had the oring for the distributor,.The dipstick oring with that engine might be listed in a rebuild kit,heck maybe rock auto sells that oring separate.Auto stores are kookie yeah that word spelling on what freaking gaskets,orings come with certain kits.I would simply check napa,auto zone and enter what year,model and etc specific from where that engine was originally as you know already and see if that 1 little oring is sold separate or in a kit.If I find anything I will revisit this post.Btw nice work and I know a pain of sorts but your making a big change.

Thursday, February 06, 2014 11:18 PM
Can you share exactly what year model car the engine came out of along with the engine specifics.I know it is a 2.0 ohc turbo but with the net and specs it is all over the place on info.If the dipstick tube oring was not in the hg set,as I think it would not be,I could narrow down a better idea to find one.Ironically a local gm dealer might be the ONE place that could get that said oring with some pdf searching there database with ease!

Friday, February 07, 2014 8:46 AM
Yeah, I was going to try the dealer here before long.

The donor car was an 89 Pont Grand am.

Also, I had 80% of the gaskets so I choose to just buy a head gasket separate, and find the last misc gaskets I needed later... hopefully that wasn't a mistake.

89 355 s10 blazer
Friday, February 07, 2014 4:29 PM
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=m570.l3201&_nkw=1972943&_sacat=0

http://parts.nalleygmc.com/products/Pontiac/1992/SunbirdLE-2-DR/SEAL-Engine-Crankcase-Ventilation-Engine-Oil-Level/3070871/52270928.html

NIce Story / Pics on your car build Superbee, keep it coming......

Doug in P.R.

92 Pontiac Sunbird LE, 2.0, AT, Red / Black with Grey 155K miles. Hurricane Maria Survivor ! ( It takes a licking and keeps on ticking ! ).....in Salinas, Puerto Rico!

Friday, February 07, 2014 9:31 PM
Thanks!
Ordered the dist o-ring, its hard to tell in that parts diagram, is that the correct seal? Ill do some investigating..

Speaking of investigating...I was making some good progress today and was getting ready to install injectors and I found one of my new injectors had a diff part number. Upon some research it was a diff flow rate, also a high impedance ohm reading when I checked them all compared to the low ohm reading of the other three (and stock)

so I emailed rockauto about the injector, ill see what they tell me.

89 355 s10 blazer
Friday, February 07, 2014 10:03 PM
Ok ordered the Dist o-ring, the laminated felpro water outlet gasket, the crankcase vent tube HOSE, and crankcase vent o-ring....The oring I debated about since it cost 15 bucks....thought about just using the old one and putting the right stuff silicon on it...or just finding a random o-ring to fit.....o well...

89 355 s10 blazer
Friday, February 07, 2014 10:54 PM
Nice I know of the nalleygmc site already! but still solid.I can see where you were thinking just the hg but those kits come loaded with all the gaskets needed or not and just better off to have all the extra gaskets as back ups.I have a hg to do and while I did not need say all of it,I am replacing both the intake and exhaust regardless of age(which I have done both at different times in the last 4yrs).Rock auto is good but you do have to really check the specs as they might have ten listings with said part with variations based on engine,specs blah blah.Good luck with your project.Ron

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 10:32 PM
Ok...so where am I, several days of updates here. Ive only been working on this thing about an hour or two a day in the mornings before work, not really enough time to get much done especially when im cleaning a painting parts, but every hour counts...

So is the harmonic balancer supposed to line up at the 10 degree mark when you set the timing belt? Crank and cam pulley marks are lined up. Balancer is at 10...Ive checked all three balancers I have so I know for a fact the outer ring hasn't slipped on the balancer...

Turbo vs non turbo intake:

Drilled, tapped, IAT sensor installed, and painted

Installed

89 355 s10 blazer
Tuesday, February 11, 2014 10:33 PM
So I dawned on me, where the hell do I put the water pump coolant line!?

It never really occurred to me that there was just a hole in my block, online manuals and pictures didn't tell me @!#$. So out to look at my old 94 engine that was covered in 6 inches of snow!

Saw there was a steel tube sticking out...oh great... looked closer and it was a PRESS FIT....OH GREAT. Ive been down that road before....

So I went back in, had 5% hope I could actually get it out, grabbed a screw driver, hammer, boiled a pot of hot water on the stove and went back out in the 5 degree temp, brushed the snow off, poured the boiling water on the block casting and hit it with a screwdriver and hammer and ill be damned if I got it off. Barely even dinged up the edge too!

So I cleaned it real good, got some Loctite sleeve retainer and smacked her in the turbo block.

Previous owner had all kinds of bull@!#$ oil fittings in the oil ports

Went to mount turbo, found out the manifold shrank big time, bolt holes wouldn't line up anymore. oh great again..

So started to open the holes up

Upon doing that, I noticed the casting and took a double look and realized it was quit possibly a crack!

Sure enough it was!

Sooooo, back on the internet, ordered yet another several hundred dollars of parts including a manifold. Just the weekly routine. Bunch of parts should be arriving this week actually.

Speaking of exhaust, got this bad boy, think it was $250 bucks alone, exhaust cutout

Got the turbo oil feed line plumbed in, also the coolant tube

Would someone like to tell me what the heck they use tube and hose wise for the water outlet sticking out the back! I cant find ANY pictures or documents showing me! I know a 4 inch or so piece of rubber hose connects it to another steel tube I presume???

Here is what my 94 used:

Def not what the used on the turbo engines... I can no brainer think of something to make it work from there to the heater core, but if I can get some oem parts that would be nice for future repairs...

Oil sending unit for aftermarket gauges

Using 94 ac setup, had to remove some casting for the turbo brace to fit on

I was pissed because that front mount is missing ONE damn hole for the belt tensioner lol. Otherwise its the same bracket, so I cleaned and painted that one for nothing, I took it off, redid the newer one, and am waiting for the paint to dry, but here it is with the old one on

Rando

Throttle body comparison:
obviously not going to use the coolant ports, and im also going to have to swap the IAC and TPS connectors when it comes time to do my harness whenever my literature gets here for pinouts on the bulkhead connectors.

Both of these are ridiculously small, but wow, that turbo TB is worthless.

89 355 s10 blazer

Saturday, February 15, 2014 4:18 PM
Isnt the Turbo water cooled? ( that might be what that hose goes to)

Another question is , where does the Turbo pick up oil from and returns it? ( those ports on the back side that had fittings)?

Doug in P.R.

92 Pontiac Sunbird LE, 2.0, AT, Red / Black with Grey 155K miles. Hurricane Maria Survivor ! ( It takes a licking and keeps on ticking ! ).....in Salinas, Puerto Rico!

Sunday, February 16, 2014 11:15 AM
I got pretty much everything together but the alt and p/s, im at work now, ill post pics and updates tonight or tomorrow.

89 355 s10 blazer
Monday, February 17, 2014 11:19 AM
got more parts earlier last week. Boost vac gauge, and oil pressure gauge.

Cant remember if I said or not earlier, but I got four injectors, one was the wrong one, luckily I spotted it as one was at least 5lb hr higher than the other three. anyways rock auto got me taken care of.

I take it the turbo flange doesn't use a gasket??

I sealed it with this

THis is where my bad day started. The newer style ac bracket hits the turbo, so I had to grind the crap out of it

I must not have taken pics before and after.

Thing that really sucked is I did all that grinding and after I was done I realized I had forgot to cover the DIPSTICK hole.... ton of metal flew grindings fell inside the damn engine. So now I will have to pull the pan off and clean it out real good before I throw the engine in. Oh well, live and learn.

Started to put the exhaust on....

I just gave up for the day, next day got some new hardware

LOOK WHAT I JUST HAPPEND TO FIND TODAY:

Heres where it mounts on turbo manifold

No provisions on the N/A manifold

Drilled a new hole on the end

Mounts up just find to another provision now. Also chopped up the heater hose to fit.

Damn near all together

On the heater deal, one COULD just use the newer heater hose asymbly and just plug the throttle body lines, or hook them up (cant look them) but that is two places for coolant to leak if you plug them as there aren't really many good caps out there and I just assume not see those coolant lines back there for another 5 years.

Now all that's left is to build a vac hose assymbly, get a new tensioner and belt, slap in the distributor, clean metal out of pan, build the new harness.

89 355 s10 blazer
Tuesday, February 18, 2014 10:37 AM
Nice job , did you use "Buick Red " paint?

Doug in P.R.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search