New Car - Page 3 - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: New Car
Friday, October 31, 2014 3:52 PM
Thanks James, I didn't see that until just now. Haven't been on in a while. Anywho, the 5 speed swap will probably be the last thing on my list. Over the past couple of weeks I've really just been cleaning the car up. I finished up what I was doing in the trunk and it turned out fair and is holding up well and keeping my trunk dry. I pulled my rear wheels off and painted my drums and such, giving it a much cleaner look. I recently removed my sagging headliner assembly until I can get some adhesive. I just bought a new valve cover gasket, rear wheel bearings and some stainless steel colored high heat paint. This weekend I'm going to clean up the engine compartment and paint some stuff up. Hoping to also paint my door to (somewhat) match the rest of the car. Next week I'll be changing out the rear wheel bearings.
I was wondering more about the intermittent wiper swap. I think it was Orlen that said all you need to change is the wiper motor and turn signal stalk or column? How hard is it to change the steering column? Is it just plug and play? Thanks a lot for any info!

Friday, October 31, 2014 5:51 PM
For the intermitent wipers you need to change the wiper motor, wiper switch and the turn signal stalk.
Saturday, November 01, 2014 6:30 AM
FrankD wrote:For the intermitent wipers you need to change the wiper motor, wiper switch and the turn signal stalk.

Thanks for the input, but in my car the wiper stalk and turn signal talk are the same thing. So I would assume I have to swap the whole steering column?
Saturday, November 01, 2014 8:17 AM
No, the stalk pulls right out, you don't have to change the column. The only difference between the two stalks are the markings.
Wednesday, November 05, 2014 3:47 PM
will a stalk from a 93 with tilt wheel fit? Because mine is non tilt.
Wednesday, November 05, 2014 4:31 PM
Hello all, sorry for the quick question above but I was in a hurry. Anywho, this last weekend I did a little work to the car. I put on a serpentine belt and let me tell you it runs excellent now. Idles great.. etc. Also painted up my door., and the valve cover. Shes looking a little better and running a lot better. May post pics this weekend. This weekend I am putting on new rear wheel bearings. Now let me go into a little further explanation with the wipers. I apologize for my confusion. I thought everyone was saying the wiper stalk and turn signal stalk were two different things. Now as everyone knows my car is a 1990 non intermittent wipers, non tilt wheel. Now will the stalk from a 1993 with tilt wheel fit on my column? If not how hard is it to swap the entire column?
Thursday, November 06, 2014 3:54 PM
I don't think it will work. The Phase II column is quite different and I don't think anything from a Phase II will work in a Phase I column. I could be wrong, since my Phase I is a 1988 and I'm not real familiar with the 1990. But if your column is pretty much the same as mine, nothing from a 93 will work in it.
Thursday, November 06, 2014 7:24 PM
butch nackley wrote:I don't think it will work. The Phase II column is quite different and I don't think anything from a Phase II will work in a Phase I column. I could be wrong, since my Phase I is a 1988 and I'm not real familiar with the 1990. But if your column is pretty much the same as mine, nothing from a 93 will work in it.

Ok thanks. The '93 Column I was asking about was actually just given to me for free as well as the wiper motor. So I'm hoping the column fits well. I believe it is from a '93 RS. So It does have tilt and all. Hopefully everything works out well.
Also what do the rear wheel bearings need to be torqued to when reinstalled? Sorry for the poor grammar in that sentence.
Thursday, November 06, 2014 8:15 PM
So just got some great news. All the parts i've mentioned from the '93 actually belonged to one of my old managers. I was asking her tonight about a the steering column and wiper motor. After some talking she told me that if I take them off I can have them. Well I eventually asked about the tranny and she told me that if can get the car out of her yard I can have it! The car is an RS Sedan I believe. My original plan was to buy this car and put the engine in my car. But I just don't wanna go through the effort of pulling the engine out right now, so I'm not going to. Now I'm going to pull the steering column, wiper motor, transmission and maybe a few other things. Are there any engine parts that I would benefit from swapping out? Are there any other parts I should keep before I take it to the crusher? Thanks for looking!
Friday, November 07, 2014 1:05 AM
Brandon Scheuvront wrote:
Also what do the rear wheel bearings need to be torqued to when reinstalled?
37 Lbs. Ft.
Friday, November 07, 2014 10:10 AM
The column is different from 88-90

Friday, November 07, 2014 3:54 PM
I know its different but does anyone know if it can be made to work?
Friday, November 07, 2014 4:05 PM
I doubt it. I mean it could probably be made to work, but I have a feeling a lot of things would need to be changed. Wiring and trans lock to name two things I figure will need some modifing. But if you have the entire 1993 car, you might be able to take what you need from it to hook it up and get it all working in your 90. In my opinion, I would find a Phase I column like you need for a direct bolt in. Maybe do some trading of parts with someone. Or even a junk yard. Give them the 93 for the parts you need for your 1990.
Friday, November 07, 2014 5:48 PM
well that sucks, lol. Oh well I'm sure there are plenty of parts I can still use and sell and I will just buy the wiper stalk to fit mine. I was also wondering would I benefit at all from swapping the head? Would that give me a power increase?
Friday, November 07, 2014 11:14 PM
Not much. The head didn't change a whole lot until 94.

Saturday, November 08, 2014 3:50 PM
James Cahill wrote:Not much. The head didn't change a whole lot until 94.

Thanks for the info, however I may have to change the head anyhow. I was trying to change the spark plugs today and when I got to third one, it refused to come out. It would turn but acted like it was being tightened in either direction. I assume it's cross threaded or something but it absolutely refuses to thread out. I would assume if it was cross threaded that it would thread out at least?
Sunday, November 09, 2014 3:11 PM
Put some penetrating oil of atf down in the recess where the plug seats and let it soak in, and then try working the plug back and forth. It is probably from some deposits on the plug threads. If worse comes to worse and the threads in the head strip, you can helicoil it.
Tuesday, November 11, 2014 6:36 PM
FrankD wrote:Put some penetrating oil of atf down in the recess where the plug seats and let it soak in, and then try working the plug back and forth. It is probably from some deposits on the plug threads. If worse comes to worse and the threads in the head strip, you can helicoil it.

Thanks FrankD, I will certainly try that, however I want the experience that comes with swapping a head.I've never done it before and I would like to do it, even if just for the hell of it. Can I still keep my TBI if I swap the head?
There is a person near me that has a '94 Cavi for $250. I have never seen the car so it's hard to tell how the body is but it needs a head gasket. Wish I had the extra $250
Tuesday, November 11, 2014 7:04 PM
Also I was wondering what type of gain I would receive from swapping it? I know James said not much above as they didn't change much, but is there any gain at all?

I'm not sure if I previously mentioned but last weekend I got my rear hubs swapped. It was the first time I'd ever changed hub/bearings and the first time I'd ever messed with drum brakes at all. When removing the shoes I attempted to pay very close attention so I would remember how to put it back together, however everything just kind of fell apart so when I put every thing back together I had to just wing it. But I got everything back together correctly.. minus the emergency brake cable on the driver side. I ended up replacing one drum and all the brake hardware. The shoes were in pretty good shape so I didn't replace those just yet. But it was my first time messing with any of that and it turned out great. My only downfall is now that the noise in the rear is gone, I can hear all the front end noise lol. Oh and also I mentioned a while ago that I was leaking brake fluid but couldn't find out where. It turned out I had a pinhole in one of my wheel cylinder boots. I bought a new wheel cylinder but couldn't get the old one off so I just used the parts from the new one on my old one.

On another note, I went to my local Wally World Sunday night. I was just kind of browsing around the automotive section, they have this kind of clearance "catch all" shelf and I found 4 air filters. I picked up one of the boxes, pulled out the filter and thought it looked like it would fit. So I walked over to their manual looked up my car and what do you know the number matched. They were marked down to 50 cents each! Also they were the Fram Tough Guard, of course I bought all 4!
Lol thanks for reading my nonsense guys!
Wednesday, November 12, 2014 12:27 PM
I used Tough Guards on all my stuff when I lived in Arizona . ( dust gets into everything out there)

Good deal on the filters.... IMO

Doug in P.R.

92 Pontiac Sunbird LE, 2.0, AT, Red / Black with Grey 155K miles. Hurricane Maria Survivor ! ( It takes a licking and keeps on ticking ! ).....in Salinas, Puerto Rico!

Saturday, November 15, 2014 6:45 AM
Thanks I thought it was great deal, lol talk about luck. Everyone at work says I'll never need all of them... because they think the car won't last that long. But they're wrong. I take good care of the car and I plan some extensive work in next few months.
Anyhow, I have another annoying question. I've been thinking alot and I think I want to swap the dash. I really like the 93 Cluster and the center console, but the center console would look kind of stupid without the '93 dash. I'm not really sure what the condition of the dash is but if it's too bad I can probably find one at a junk yard for a decent price. Anyhow I know I'll have to change the dash harness but will that directly swap over? Will the new dash mount right in where the old one did?
Thanks for the help everyone.

Saturday, November 15, 2014 9:07 AM
ok guys I have another quick question. I have an aftermarket tach and was wondering where to splice the green wire. The book says distributor ignition module. I know its the white wire but where is the ignition module? Thanks in advance
Monday, November 17, 2014 6:13 AM
The module is on the backside of the block, under the ignition coils.
Monday, November 17, 2014 5:47 PM
FrankD wrote:The module is on the backside of the block, under the ignition coils.

Hey thanks for the response, seems like everyone is getting tired of my questions, lol. I just wanna say that no one's advice is taken for granted. I appreciate the info everyone has given me.
Anyhow, I thought it was on the back seeing as how that where the plug wires lead, lol. It seems like it's gonna be a b&$#h to get to. I picked up a set of coil packs today. BWD brand but... good BWD, lol. I was gonna get the Accel but I decided against it, luckily I got them for the low, low price of free.So one of these weekends after I pickup a set of plug wires I'll swap them out. I'm sure mine are just fine but it couldn't hurt to swap them.
Also I had another question. I had the tach hooked up inside the vehicle, just to the fuses. I had it lighting up but now it won't even do that. I have the red wire run to the radio fuse and the white one run to the gauge fuse. It originally lit up just fine that was but won't light up now. Is the way I have it run ok?
By the way, here are some updated pictures

Monday, November 17, 2014 7:49 PM
I was wondering if someone could tell me if this would work for my car after changing the wiper motor http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHEVY-Buick-GM-TURN-SIGNAL-CRUISE-CONTROL-Switch-LEVER-Stalk-WIPER-ARM-CHROME-/291292748952?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1990|Model%3ACaval ier&hash=item43d2669c98&vxp=mtr
Mine does not have cruise is why I was wondering if it would work. Thanks
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search