NEED AS MUCH INFO ON MANUAL AND AUTO TRANSAXLES FOR 2.0 OHC AND OHV - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
NEED AS MUCH INFO ON MANUAL AND AUTO TRANSAXLES FOR 2.0 OHC AND OHV
Thursday, January 01, 2015 11:09 AM
I have really been quite stumped in this department as apparently everyone I have questioned about this has not given me any or much relevant info on this subject. I would greatly appreciate pics of the trannys especially where they bolt into the engine. I would also like to know if at all the transaxles are indeed different from one engine to another. I have an 84 3 spd auto for my ohv and a 87-88 5 spd manual for my ohc. the car that has the ohc, I pulled from the junkyard and the motor is toast and I don't want to spend the time and money to rebuild it, just to get the tranny into my 84. both cars are stock, and the junker has all parts except the alternator. the main goal is to convert my 84 from auto to manual. my budget come tax returns is $2,300. However I hope doing the tranny job won't come near this, as that is the amount I want to spend on restoring the car in general. any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

P.S. the ohv is a 84 Buick skyhawk custom with the 2.0l, tbi ( soon to be carb ), 3 spd auto trans and is a coupe.
The ohc is a 88 buick skyhawk std with the 2.0l, tbi, 5 spd manual trans, and is also a coupe

Re: NEED AS MUCH INFO ON MANUAL AND AUTO TRANSAXLES FOR 2.0 OHC AND OHV
Thursday, January 01, 2015 11:20 AM
Just like I answered in your other thread - the OHC (LT2) and OHV (LQ5) are different bolt patterns. You cannot bolt the manual transmission to the 2.0 OHV. There really isn't any more info to give you.

Thursday, January 01, 2015 11:54 AM
I actually did just find out that I can change the bellhousing on the manual transaxle. I also have found new manual bellhousings from jegs for the 84 just one last question, is weather or not the 4 spd manual bell housing will bolt up to an 88 5 spd. if not, weather or not the 88 ohv 5 spd bellhousing would bolt up to my 84 engine. this is the first car I have ever worked on. and this is a learn as I go. I am not stupid, I just don't know as much as the rest pof you guys. I also may not even know the right questions to ask until I get to that point. I want that 5 spd in my 84 PERIOD. It can be done if I put the ohc into my 84, but the motor must be rebuilt. i am looking into alternative methods for putting that tranny in the car without rebuilding that ohc. i will if I have to, but if can save money and time doing it another way I would prefer that instead. so I do apologize if I can be confusing. as of right now i am raising my 1 year old child and do not have easy access to the ohc right now. so I have to solely rely on info i found on the internet and in books. I can be quite stubborn and will not give up.
Thursday, January 01, 2015 11:57 AM
here is the 84 manual bellhousing on jegs http://www.jegs.com/i/JW+Performance/564/92450/10002/-1
Thursday, January 01, 2015 4:14 PM
big thing I have been noticing is why is that everywhere I look for a 5 spd manual tranny is that for each one I find everyone says that it will fit both ohc and ohv. I just don't get it. thats why I'm so confused about this. there is just soo much misinformation out there. i just don't know what's true or not.
Friday, January 02, 2015 9:55 AM
Thorn Chabot wrote:here is the 84 manual bellhousing on jegs http://www.jegs.com/i/JW+Performance/564/92450/10002/-1[/quote

That will never work cause its for V8's, junkyard is your only option.

JW only makes performance stuff for v8's not 4 cylinders.

Doug in P.R.

92 Pontiac Sunbird LE, 2.0, AT, Red / Black with Grey 155K miles. Hurricane Maria Survivor ! ( It takes a licking and keeps on ticking ! ).....in Salinas, Puerto Rico!

Friday, January 02, 2015 11:10 AM
You need to find the exact trans to fit the engine you have, the trans ( 5speed you have) will fit if its dissasembled and you use the correct belhousing that fits your engine.( trans has to come all apart)

So its better to get the trans that fits to your motor instead of getting another trans to just take it apart for the bellhousing.

There is nothing you can buy ( just to get the bellhousing)

You need another trans, reguardless

www.car-part.com list a bunch of 5 speeds that fit ,

Sunbirds had 5 speeds up to 94 with the 2.0 OHC.

So if you have an OHC, you need a OHC trans or one to take the bellhousing apart from.

If you had the OHV engine, then it would be easier cause you have more options, OHC you dont. ( 3peed auto, 4speed , 5speed all have to come from a OHC engine)

Hope this helps,

Doug in P.R.

92 Pontiac Sunbird LE, 2.0, AT, Red / Black with Grey 155K miles. Hurricane Maria Survivor ! ( It takes a licking and keeps on ticking ! ).....in Salinas, Puerto Rico!

Friday, January 02, 2015 5:13 PM
to answer you back Doug. Both cars are complete (88 does not have the alt). the 84 is the car I drive. the 88 is from the junkyard and in CT it CANNOT be registered. my 84 has the ohv 3 spd auto. the 88 has the ohc and the 5 spd man, but it's motor is blown and needs a complete rebuild costing anywheres from $400-$800, depending on whats wrong with it. the 5 spd however is completely fine. as I said before I want that 5 spd in the 84. if the entire 88 cost me $600 I can imagine a 5 spd tranny for a ohv should cost far less. I am also trying to stock up on plenty of spare parts as well so having to trannys means more parts. the junkyard I got the 88 from rarely crushes so finding it shouldn't be difficult. Also to put the carb on the 84, it would a hell of a lot easier keeping the ohv since the 84 canadian version of the 2.0 ohv still used the rochester e2se, all I would need is the ecm and I can buy that brand new for $80 from autozone which is right in front of my house. I need to figure out what I need and how much it will cost. I have my w2 and my wife should get herswithin the first week of feb. i get about $2,500 for repairs and mods on the car. you should read my topic on my 84 buick skyhawk in the first gen froum. I could not passing up that 88. I came across it when I (by accident) smashed my passenger side window. I went there to get new glass and they had that just sitting there, so I bought it. I'm taking the gauges, horn button, fenders, doors, and everything else is being stripped from it and being packed away in case i need replacement parts. Including the body shell, in the event of the 84 getting totaled. I LOVE the skyhawk. in ct if the other person is at fault, by law the other insurance company has to bring you to the same condition as you were in before the accident. so at least i don't have to wait too long to get my car back. Right now the 84 is barebones. I haven't messed with the engine yet as occassionally I do need to drive it around to move it. the entire car is getting redone, with a few mods done to it.
Friday, January 02, 2015 5:33 PM
Well you are in luck, theres a five speed at a junkyard near you for $50 and its out of a 84 OHV.

http://www.bills-autoparts.com/

Doug in P.R.

Friday, January 02, 2015 5:37 PM
And its from an 84 skyhawk with 67k miles "A"Condition

Doug in P.R.

Friday, January 02, 2015 6:49 PM
well thank you very much, that's awesome. I just shot them an e-mail about it. so if it works and I can get it. Anyone looking for a k code 2.0l sohc engine for parts?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search