1989 Cav Door Handle - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
1989 Cav Door Handle
Saturday, January 31, 2015 5:09 AM
The white plastic "nut" or whatever that the interior door handle screws into on a 1989 Cavalier has broken. See the circled part in the second picture attached.

Does anyone know how I can get a new replacement part (OEM #, or aftermarket brand and part #)? Thanks.
Attachments
DoorHandle2.jpg (99k)
DoorHandle1.jpg (90k)

Re: 1989 Cav Door Handle
Saturday, January 31, 2015 1:30 PM
Try the "HELP" section at your local parts store. It will have all the fasteners like that.

Saturday, January 31, 2015 10:43 PM
Agree with the post already.Check advance auto,auto zone or oreillys and even napa.That piece is available and if you cannot find it locally try rockauto.I am wayyyy tired so I am not going to research that quick for link tonight.Just check out the HELP section either close to the tools or on the aisle with paint or body screws and plastic plugs.

Sunday, February 01, 2015 7:15 AM
James Cahill wrote:Try the "HELP" section at your local parts store. It will have all the fasteners like that.

Ron Love wrote:Agree with the post already

Gentlemen: I do a LITTLE work before I post here.

I looked through the "help"/fasteners section at Advance, Autozone, Pep Boys. I looked through Dorman's ("Help") website. I have put in an email to Dorman customer service this morning.

I have looked on RockAuto, but you really need a part #.... RockAuto is not really set up to browse for a part like this. If I had the GM or a Dorman part #, I would not be surprised if RockAuto has it.

I tried to find the part on the two sites I know of that show parts diagrams for GM cars.... they do not show it.

I was hoping someone here had a better GM parts diagram/listing than I have access to, and could easily call out the GM part #, because that would likely help a lot.

I have been to one pick-n-pull since this part broke. There aren't many 1988-90 Cavaliers in the yards around here, they are long gone. Since I don't know the part #, I don't know what other cars use that part, which would broaden my "pool" in a JY. Besides, I am not sure if I can remove that part easily/safely, and even if I do, I will have a 25yo plastic part, which itself is probably ready to break.

Thanks!
Sunday, February 01, 2015 5:12 PM
The part number is 20338401 for the original or from this company 83-5660 page 125
http://carpak.com/files2/5_Door_Interior%20Trim2005.pdf
They also fit F & G bodies beside the J body.
Tuesday, February 03, 2015 6:57 PM
FrankD wrote:The part number is 20338401 for the original or from this company 83-5660 page 125.

Thanks. I will look into it, I am not sure if that is it. And none of the several GM suppliers I searched have any record of that GM part. They don't show it as discontinued, they simply do not have any record of that part. In any case, I now have a better description of that part, such as arm rest grommet/retainer/anchor, so that might help.

Dorman got back to me, and said that they do not carry it.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search