Tach wire on Cluster Connector? - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Tach wire on Cluster Connector?
Sunday, February 22, 2015 12:59 PM
Is the tach wire on all cars on the cluster connector? Or only cars with a factory tach. 88-94 cars

Thanks, Doug in P.R.

92 Pontiac Sunbird LE, 2.0, AT, Red / Black with Grey 155K miles. Hurricane Maria Survivor ! ( It takes a licking and keeps on ticking ! ).....in Salinas, Puerto Rico!

Re: Tach wire on Cluster Connector?
Sunday, February 22, 2015 3:30 PM
It should be there on all of them. I don't have the manual here to tell you wire color or which pin it is, sorry.

Sunday, February 22, 2015 4:19 PM
Thanks Jim,
someone asked on the Pontiac Forums site, he was going to change his 92's 2.0 cluster for one with a tripometer and tach.

He said his odometer quit working, thats why he was changing the cluster.

Doug in P.R.

92 Pontiac Sunbird LE, 2.0, AT, Red / Black with Grey 155K miles. Hurricane Maria Survivor ! ( It takes a licking and keeps on ticking ! ).....in Salinas, Puerto Rico!

Wednesday, February 25, 2015 10:08 AM
James Cahill wrote:It should be there on all of them. I don't have the manual here to tell you wire color or which pin it is, sorry.

White wire James ( found it out the other day)

Person having the problems reset the computer and now the odometer works fine ....................

Doug in P.R.

Thursday, February 26, 2015 12:27 PM
He drove a while and now it quit again.................................................

Doug in P.R.

Sunday, March 15, 2015 7:11 PM
Tach wire should be present in all models of that generation; I swapped a gauge cluster from a 94 Cavalier into my non-gauge 93 and it worked with no problem. The only consideration is to select a cluster from a car that had the same number of cylinders (4 or 6) or it will read incorrectly. My 93 is a 4 cylinder while the cluster is from a 6 cylinder so it only reads 2/3 of actual engine RPM, IE: tach reads 2000 rpm, engine speed is actually 3000 rpm.

My website
Pete's Place
Monday, March 16, 2015 3:20 PM
Thanks for the Reply . Pete.

Doug in P.R.

Thursday, June 04, 2015 2:46 PM
all second gens have the wire it is white pin "O" circuit number (121) . Unlock the clips holding the plug use an led light for better viewing ,maybe at night. on my L4 it's pin "A" -C1 . V6 pin "C" C1 (connector -1). This signal is a direct feed from EI,electronic ignition module on the engine, only has one connector to go thru (c-100) at drivers kick panel . pm for furthur info i have the 1993 cavy bible. spent the last ^mos. refurbbing my 93'
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search