Trunk Rods Needed - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Trunk Rods Needed
Wednesday, May 11, 2016 4:21 PM
Anyone have a couple? One of mine broke, welded it but it broke in a different spot.. really need the one that goes into the hole on the driver side and adjusts ( Z shaped end) on the passenger side. Second Gen 88-94 coupe Sunbird or Cavalier.

Any help would be appreciated.

Doug in P.R.

92 Pontiac Sunbird LE, 2.0, AT, Red / Black with Grey 155K miles. Hurricane Maria Survivor ! ( It takes a licking and keeps on ticking ! ).....in Salinas, Puerto Rico!

Re: Trunk Rods Needed
Sunday, November 25, 2018 3:04 PM
Took out the quarter window on the Z24 on Saturday but just my luck, both trunk tension rods were broken also, so still need these if anyone has them.Thanks

Doug in P.R.

92 Pontiac Sunbird LE, 2.0, AT, Red / Black with Grey 155K miles. Hurricane Maria Survivor ! ( It takes a licking and keeps on ticking ! ).....in Salinas, Puerto Rico!

Sunday, November 25, 2018 3:23 PM
I think I have a set from my 89 z24.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Monday, November 26, 2018 11:08 AM
Ok Rob,let me know.....sick of using a stick to hold up the trunk, has fallen on my head a few times......

Doug in P.R.

Tuesday, November 27, 2018 4:58 PM
Sounds like these are prone to breaking? I didn't know that. I hope you are able to get some.
Think I should get myself an extra set too, next time I see one in a junk yard. Anyone know if they are the same as the convertibles use?
Wednesday, November 28, 2018 8:43 AM
Yeah Butch, never had them break in the many GM cars I've owned, just this one.

Doug in P.R.

Friday, December 28, 2018 10:38 AM
Problem solved! Thanks ,Rob

Doug in P.R.

Friday, December 28, 2018 5:31 PM
Fantastic, glad he was able to help you out.
Rob's a really great guy. Hooked me up with some items I'd been hoping to find for my wagon project. He is currently building a monster of an engine and updating the thread on it over at v6z24. Very interesting.
Saturday, December 29, 2018 4:56 AM
Thanks, I'LL check it out, Butch.

Doug in P.R.

Sunday, December 30, 2018 11:42 AM
The ones that Rob sent were bigger diameter than my original ones, what a bear to put in.Tried yesterday afternoon with no luck ( 5 hours) checked the service manual( only show adjustment) checked YouTube ( only 3rd gen).

Went out today determined to get them in . Ended up using a pipe wrench, prybar, and vicegrips. Scratched them all up and the mounting area, would recomened to install them then paint the trunk, cause it's going to be a fight and and it ain't going to be pretty.

A real poor design compared to 3rd gen , still don't know how the factory put them in.

I'm happy though, now I finally have a normal trunk lid again.

Doug in P.R.

Sunday, December 30, 2018 2:19 PM
Wow, sounds like you had a time of it. I've never changed them before. However, that is a very old design. The same system was used in my old 60's GTO's, 60's and 70's Firebirds and Grand Prix at least up into the early 80's, etc., etc. Not sure when that style was first used, but the 2nd gen J's were probably among the last ones to use it. Heck there might be some cars on up into the 2000's that used them. It was a cheap but effective system. They rarely ever break, or at least I'd never seen one broken. Your's is the first I'd ever heard of breaking.

Anyway, glad you were able to get them in. I hope I never have to do one.

Sunday, December 30, 2018 7:01 PM
92Sunbird PuertoRico wrote:The ones that Rob sent were bigger diameter than my original ones, what a bear to put in.Tried yesterday afternoon with no luck ( 5 hours) checked the service manual( only show adjustment) checked YouTube ( only 3rd gen).

Went out today determined to get them in . Ended up using a pipe wrench, prybar, and vicegrips. Scratched them all up and the mounting area, would recomened to install them then paint the trunk, cause it's going to be a fight and and it ain't going to be pretty.

A real poor design compared to 3rd gen , still don't know how the factory put them in.

I'm happy though, now I finally have a normal trunk lid again.

Doug in P.R.

Mine were off a 89 z24. Not sure what year yours is. When I install them I use a socket and an extension. I put a deep socket over the end. It makes it a lot easier to install.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Monday, December 31, 2018 2:22 AM
92 no spoiler, seen that YouTube video on the 3rd gen using a piece of pipe, but they where facing out instead of ours facing in the trunk.

Rob, You should put a video on YouTube next time you install a set, to help us out.

Basicly, I used vice grips to hold the one end to the round knob on the hinge, then a pipe wrench on the rod to twist it towards me, then the pry bar to snap it in place. ( Takes a few tries because it wants to snap out of the 3 adjustment slots which I installed first in the top slot, then pry it up in the hook)

Doug in P.R.

Thursday, June 20, 2019 2:14 PM
Wow, check this out. Something in my 92 convertible broke this morning. I suspect it was one (or both) rods. Haven't checked it out yet. There is a 91 convertible at the LKQ yard in Largo. I was just there Saturday getting a few pieces off of it. Never once thought about the trunk rods. I suppose I better grab them before the car gets crushed. Or, design mounts for short lift support cylinders (which might be the best option, actually). I've got the ones on the 94 , I could use, I suppose.

Anyway, I'm off to NC for a couple weeks, so it is something I'll have to fix when I get back home.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search