Help: Control Arm Bushings - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Help: Control Arm Bushings
Wednesday, November 06, 2019 11:28 AM
Hey guys. I posted this at v6z24 too, since not a lot of folks still messing with these car. Hoping someone can give me some information of this possible problem.

I was going to install a set of MOOG K6351 control arm bushings. I noticed they look to be too short, which has caused some concern. Please see this short video of what I think may be a problem.
https://youtu.be/XqRkx-xQPnc
Anyone ever used these before? Did they look like mine do? Did they fit correctly?

Thanks for any help.

Re: Help: Control Arm Bushings
Thursday, November 07, 2019 12:24 PM
I would check the Rockauto site , they show 2 different lower control arm bushings for your car.
Doug in P.R.

92 Pontiac Sunbird LE, 2.0, AT, Red / Black with Grey 155K miles. Hurricane Maria Survivor ! ( It takes a licking and keeps on ticking ! ).....in Salinas, Puerto Rico!

Thursday, November 07, 2019 1:44 PM
92Sunbird PuertoRico wrote:I would check the Rockauto site , they show 2 different lower control arm bushings for your car.
Doug in P.R.
Yeah I saw that. But these cars all take the same bushings in the control arms. Looking at the picture they look to be the same as I got, as far as the width goes. Anyway, when I get back from NC, I'll install them to see how they fit. I can't imagine they spread out, but maybe they do. Anyway, they do not appear to be the same as those they use in their ready to install CK620662 control arm package???
I'll update Sunday or Monday with the results of how these fit.
I did order a set of poly bushings today, just in case.
Friday, November 08, 2019 9:33 AM
Like Orden said, it's easier just to replace the control arm, found that out when I changed the ball joint in mine.......( What a pain...)

Doug in P.R.

92 Pontiac Sunbird LE, 2.0, AT, Red / Black with Grey 155K miles. Hurricane Maria Survivor ! ( It takes a licking and keeps on ticking ! ).....in Salinas, Puerto Rico!

Sunday, November 10, 2019 12:28 AM
Just got back from taking my 94 and 92 to NC. After I get some rest I'll try to install the bushing to see how they fit.
I've changed ball joints in a pair of control arms in my 88 coupe. Didn't really have too much trouble, but it takes a little while to drill the head of the studs off. Once those are off, the studs tapped out with a punch.
I did use a pair of the Moog ready to install arms on my 92 though. Was much quicker, but cost a lot more. Refitting good arms is less than half the price of a new set. I'm cheap like that, lol.
Sunday, November 10, 2019 12:44 PM
Grinded the heads off mine ball joints rivets, still wouldn't punch out without drilling and still a pain to get the out once they were drilled out....ended up enlarging the rivet holes, had to weld washers on for more support.

Next time I will take it off and do it that way.. in a vice.

Doug in P.R.

Sunday, November 10, 2019 3:43 PM
Interesting, thanks.
Maybe I just got lucky with the ones I did. They were tight, but came out okay. I'll probably do another set sometime, since I have a pair of Moog ball joints I've had for a long time. The service manual says to drill a 1/8" pilot hole through the rivet and then drill the rivet out using a 1/2" bit. I'll probably try this method, next time. Thankfully the ball joints are good in these arms. One less thing to worry about.
I won't have the bushings installed until Tuesday or Wednesday. I cleaned the arms up today to paint them. But I have something to do tomorrow and likely won't get them painted until Tuesday. I'm kinda anxious as to how they'll fit. The poly ones are supposed to be here Tuesday, so if these rubber ones are incorrect, I'm covered.
Tuesday, November 12, 2019 11:37 AM
I have installed several sets of these and they are correct. They compress when installed and lengthen, so to speak. I use a threaded rod and exhaust pipe reducing adapters, to install them.
Tuesday, November 12, 2019 3:41 PM
FrankD wrote:I have installed several sets of these and they are correct.
Thank you very much.
Guess I bought a set of poly ones for nothing, lol. I'll end up using them in something one of these days. I should be able to get the Moog ones installed Thursday. Took the trailing arm apart today and didn't get the control arms painted. But will get them painted tomorrow for sure. I've got the Kent Moore set for removing and installing the bushings. Used it to remove the old ones. Worked great. Same should be true for the install.
Friday, November 15, 2019 10:03 AM
Trying to install the bushing was a complete failure

I used the correct tool and exact procedure from the service manual. I think these bushing are very old and maybe they deteriorated. The box looked old, the instruction sheet that came with them looked old and the bushing themselves look old. Anyway, they failed. A big washer may have helped, but none is called for and shouldn't be required. I have a strong feeling these would not have lasted long, even if they did go in okay. You probably can't see it in the pictures, but the pin looks like it has separated from the rubber ever so slightly.
The center pin came through the rubber. I didn't try to install any more of them. I just used the poly ones.

I used the all the Teflon grease that came with the poly set. Hopefully they won't squeak too much.
Attachments
Tool and Bushings.jpg (510k)
Poly Bushings.jpg (347k)
Bushing Failed.jpg (239k)

Saturday, November 16, 2019 6:01 AM
As I said I use exhaust pipe adapters that on the large end the bushing drops in and the small end is the size of the hole in the control arm. I use a piece of threaded rod with large washers and silicone spray the inside of the pipe, control arm, and the outside of the bushing. As you tighten the nut it slowly compresses the bushing down as it is pulled through the smaller size of the pipe sleeve, and the bushing goes in nice and easy, with no damage.

Saturday, November 16, 2019 12:20 PM
Wow Butch , that 3rd pic looks like the 3rd 2610 motor mount I replaced last week.......

Pretty much the same, mount looked new but the center ripped out.....

Doug in P.R

Sunday, November 17, 2019 3:39 PM
FrankD wrote:As I said I use exhaust pipe adapters that on the large end the bushing drops in and the small end is the size of the hole in the control arm. I use a piece of threaded rod with large washers and silicone spray the inside of the pipe, control arm, and the outside of the bushing. As you tighten the nut it slowly compresses the bushing down as it is pulled through the smaller size of the pipe sleeve, and the bushing goes in nice and easy, with no damage.

92Sunbird PuertoRico wrote:Wow Butch , that 3rd pic looks like the 3rd 2610 motor mount I replaced last week.......

Pretty much the same, mount looked new but the center ripped out.....

Doug in P.R
I think the Moog ones are just very old inventory. Heck, I've them a few years now. They appear to be coming loose from the pin just from age.
I've got a set of both Moog and Mevotech Supreme trailing arm bushings. The Mevotech look much newer and fresher than the Moog ones.
I may try a set of the Mevotech control arm bushings on another set of arms I have.

Yeah Frank, I'm sure using your method would work fine. I've seen videos on people doing sorta the same thing. The tool I have was designed just for this, it is the rubber in the old stock bushings that failed, I do believe.

Doug, did your mounts look like they were made a long time ago?
Monday, November 18, 2019 6:45 AM
If you are just pressing on the sleeve, it will come out no matter the age of the bushings. I 've seen this happen many times with similar type bushings, that people have brought into our machine shop.
Monday, November 18, 2019 9:05 AM
No Butch , looks like day I Installed it, got from AutoZone , made in India.

Filled up the gaps with silicone, lasted longer than the second one.( AutoZone also)

Wish I had some Urethane for windshields hanging around , but it's like $30 a tube here.

AutoZone never put my second or third one on file so no freebee . Got this one on EBay for $14. Filled it up with Permatex Adhesive Sealant and silicone this time.

Doug in P.R.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search