Clutch/Transmission - Pontiac Sunbird LE - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Clutch/Transmission - Pontiac Sunbird LE
Thursday, May 13, 2021 8:42 AM
Hello everyone.
Just recently my 1989 Pontiac Sunbird with 430,000 km on it with original engine, clutch five-speed, transmission etc. started making noise.
I have baby this car since new and always use in thetic oil in the engine and synchromesh transmission fluid. I have an audio clip but I can upload it here I could take a video and upload it somehow but I thought if anyone knows what's going on that would be of great help. When I push the clutch in the growling sound changes a bit and when the car is just idling there's a growling sound. When I come out of first gear the car jumps and stutters until I can get it into second gear and when I'm driving it's fine.

Any advice would be great I will upload a video to YouTube later and add the link to this thread.

Re: Clutch/Transmission - Pontiac Sunbird LE
Thursday, May 13, 2021 12:59 PM
Throwout bearing or bearings or syncros in the trans is my guess.

Doug in P.R.

92 Pontiac Sunbird LE, 2.0, AT, Red / Black with Grey 155K miles. Hurricane Maria Survivor ! ( It takes a licking and keeps on ticking ! ).....in Salinas, Puerto Rico!

Thursday, May 13, 2021 9:06 PM
Hey Doug I hope you and everyone are well! Thank you for the fast reply. Is that something I could tackle myself or is it just better to take it to a transmission clutch expert?
Friday, May 14, 2021 2:25 AM
If it is your throw out bearing, you have to remove the trans to replace it. If you have the tools it isn't too bad of a job. The trans is not very heavy. I think about 78lbs, if I remember correctly. A transmission jack is nice to have, but you can remove/install one without it. The engine will need to be blocked up or make a cradle from 2x4's to hang it from. I can post the pages from the service manual, if you need them.

No idea what a shop might charge to do it. You can probably call around and get a quote, before you decide which option best suits you.
Friday, May 14, 2021 2:33 AM
This thread will give you an idea of what needs to be done to remove the trans.
https://www.v6z24.com/jbodyforum/how-to-remove-a-transmission-t113123.html
I'd forgotten about it being posted.
Friday, May 14, 2021 6:12 AM
Thanks Butch and Doug for your help!
Might be a bit above my pay grade! I'm going to check around Charlottetown PEI for a couple places.
My biggest concern taking it places is they use low grade replacement parts and I was like to splurge for the best for my baby LOL!
Saturday, May 15, 2021 1:03 PM
Took me a day and a half to swap my trans ( auto) not a fun job, much easier in a rwd car.

Hopefully its just a clutch job not a trans rebuild. ( or used trans swap !

Good luck Stephan

Doug in P.R.

92 Pontiac Sunbird LE, 2.0, AT, Red / Black with Grey 155K miles. Hurricane Maria Survivor ! ( It takes a licking and keeps on ticking ! ).....in Salinas, Puerto Rico!

Saturday, May 15, 2021 8:46 PM
Thanks. I'll keep everyone posted but for now I'll just keep it parked and covered. With the pandemic my work has slow down so I can't spend too much money and my wife has a couple Volvos that are needing some attention which are our daily drivers.
Sunday, May 16, 2021 4:15 PM
Safety to you and your family Stephan....

Doug in P.R.

Monday, June 21, 2021 11:49 AM
Hello everyone! I hope all you guys are staying safe. I finally got out to a transmission fella here on Prince Edward Island Jerry's Transmission seems like a really good guy and told me I just need to order a new clutch kit and he will put it in for me.
He recommended Luke or Exedy clutch kits.
Would anyone else recommend anything better as I do not like to spare expense since he's only going to go in there once to replace it. Where would be the best place to purchase a high-quality clutch kit?

Thanks in advance.
Monday, June 21, 2021 3:17 PM
Lux ( what he probally meant ) or Exedy are more on the upper price range for stock clutches Doesnt matter since they only give you a 1 year warranty on any clutch anyways.

They both been in business for a while, so they must be good.

Most higher priced clutches then these are for racing purposes.

We are fine down here Stephan , I heard you guys still have the borders closed, here you have to have to your shots or a negative test to travel, masks are still required here also.

Doug in P.R.

Monday, June 21, 2021 6:20 PM
Great advice Doug! I wonder what the differences from racing clutch is to standard clutches? If the racing ones last longer I would be more off to get one of those. I'll probably end up with one of the standard ones. Yes we still need to wear masks and I'm pretty sure I'll have to wear my long after the pandemics over because I'm so ugly ! !
Monday, June 21, 2021 6:22 PM
Oh I forgot what is the best place to purchase from? I bought a lot of stuff from SUMMIT RACING and really like their stuff.
Tuesday, June 22, 2021 4:34 AM
Rockauto lists them or Summit, or Jegs...

Doug in P.R.

Tuesday, June 22, 2021 12:11 PM
I ordered the LUK clutch from rock auto and it will be here on Friday hopefully I can get it installed next week I will keep everyone posted!
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=4694385&cc=1260885&pt=1993&jsn=401
Monday, July 12, 2021 9:17 AM
Hi everyone! Sorry it's been quite a while. Finally ordered my new Luk clutch kit from rock auto and I am very excited to announce that the installer did a great job and the car has never shifted so amazing! Here's a picture of the old clutch.
Attachments
IMG_8656.jpeg (1709k)

Monday, July 12, 2021 11:44 AM
Toast, but I've seen worse, was it the original GM pressure plate and clutch disc?

Doug in P.R.

Monday, July 12, 2021 3:32 PM
Good to hear it's replaced and working well.
Tuesday, July 13, 2021 6:32 AM
Hi Doug. Yes it was all the original clutch and pressure plate as I have never changed it since I bought the car in 1989.
Tuesday, July 13, 2021 4:23 PM
Wow, 32 years on the factory clutch! You must baby it, hopefully it will be another 30 + years on the replacement.....!

Stop by the Pontiac forums, people are asking where you got the window sweeps from....

Doug in P.R.

Thursday, July 15, 2021 6:37 PM
It's been some time since I install those window sweeps I will have to do a little digging see if I can find the receipts or something in my email. I do remember I had to do a little custom modification to cut them to fit perfectly. If you want send me the link on this site for the people inquiring about this and I'll try to get information to them.

Friday, July 16, 2021 6:52 AM
Very excited I found my receipt for the window rubber at the bottom on the driver side here's the link to their site they sell lots of stuff. https://gm.vpartsinc.com/Pontiac_1989_Sunbird-LE-Coupe.html

I am also attaching the receipt if that will help anyone.
Attachments
1808976611|document_55afe0d9a3100558c7396b3b.pdf (60k)

Friday, July 16, 2021 2:00 PM
No need, I just copied your link to the Sunbird Forum. Didnt realize it was 6 years ago....

Doug in P.R.

Monday, July 19, 2021 10:37 AM
OH WOW THAT'S GREAT! THANK YOU DOUG.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search