Best belt and rotors - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Best belt and rotors
Saturday, August 14, 2021 1:33 PM
Hi all. Kind of killing two birds with one stone here.
When I put on my AC belt squeals quite loudly but goes away after a bit which I know it's the compressor drive belt.
Also the car surge is one applying the belt brakes which I know our work rotors. I know opinions vary but I want to buy the very best belt and very Best rotors for my 1989 2.0 L sunbird. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Attachments
Sunbird057.jpg (1244k)

Re: Best belt and rotors
Saturday, August 14, 2021 3:55 PM
I've used AC Delco, Gates and Dayco on my V6 cars. No problems with either of those brands (I think these 3 might all be the exact same belts, just branded). Are you sure the tensioner is good? No oil on the belt or pulley?
I've been using Centric ceramic pads on my 88 and 92. Got a few sets of each type when Rockauto had them on a clearance sale.They have been quiet, smooth, clean and wear extremely well too.
Sunday, August 15, 2021 3:00 PM
I need to pay more attention. You said rotors, not pads, lol.
I'd have to suggest getting a set from O'reilly, Autozone or the like. I think you can still get a Lifetime warranty on rotors from either of these stores. If one does warp, it is easy to get a free replacement. I've only had one warp and they changed it out without question. I'm pretty sure I got those at Autozone.
If your original rotors are not damaged, just get them resurfaced. Maybe $10.00 or so.
Monday, August 16, 2021 9:55 AM
Thanks for the fast reply Butch I will take your advice and start doing some research. I will keep everyone posted here.
Tuesday, August 17, 2021 8:52 AM
Gates are the best accessary belts, used a Duralast for a timing belt, holding up so far...

Rotors? I never change them, so I wouldnt know...never had a warped one, even in NY.

If I needed one, I would just go to a junkyard or PicknPull, usually new finds there.

Doug in P.R.

92 Pontiac Sunbird LE, 2.0, AT, Red / Black with Grey 155K miles. Hurricane Maria Survivor ! ( It takes a licking and keeps on ticking ! ).....in Salinas, Puerto Rico!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search