Alternator not charging - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Alternator not charging
Sunday, February 13, 2022 11:12 AM
I have a alternator that’s not charging I have swapped it for a new one and got a new battery. Still not charging I have checked the battery leads and they are clean. I have a 92 cavalier 2.2

Re: Alternator not charging
Monday, February 14, 2022 1:59 PM
I'd take it to a parts store that has a test machine. I know it is new, but these days, that don't mean anything.
My 94 RS had a brand new alternator when I bought it. I started the engine and the ALT light came on. I took the alternator off and ran it over to O'reilly to test it. It was bad.
Actually, it was a good thing the alt they had put on it was bad. It saved the old car, as they just parked it and didn't do anything to it. The box and receipt for the alternator they bought was in the car. I was able to exchange it from another one, which is working perfectly.
So, maybe you'll get lucky and the alt you have is just bad. You can get another one via exchange from the store you bought it from. If that isn't what is wrong, I'll try to get you some information from the service manual for troubleshooting.
Monday, February 14, 2022 11:55 PM
I would hope so but it’s my 3rd one from Oreilly first one they gave me was the wrong one then then 2nd the threads where damaged I was thinking of checking the grounds and stuff.
Saturday, February 19, 2022 2:23 PM
Check the stud with a voltmeter ( cheap at harbor freight) out of the back of the alternator.. running...should be close to 14 volts , then about 13.70 at the battery. (Running)

Doug in P.R.

92 Pontiac Sunbird LE, 2.0, AT, Red / Black with Grey 155K miles. Hurricane Maria Survivor ! ( It takes a licking and keeps on ticking ! ).....in Salinas, Puerto Rico!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search