Trans Crossover - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Trans Crossover
Sunday, February 11, 2007 9:53 PM
Absent from my last, yet with good reason. I also want to perform an automatic to standard crossover. Any tips, suggestions or clue where I can buy these parts?

Re: Trans Crossover
Monday, February 12, 2007 12:44 AM
The manual transmission is terribly hard to find as it was rare. Do not use a non-turbo trans as the differential will bust with the added power. You will need to change computers or reprogram your computer's memcal. The drive shafts from an automatic will not work. The engine block actually has a different bolt pattern for a manual transmission but you can mak it work by skipping out on one or two of the bolts. Make sure you also geth the section of the wiring harness that goes into the manual trans.
You're going to need to drill holes in the fire wall to mount the clutch pedal, this is a total PITA. I got my master and slave cylinders as one unit from the junkyard with the line still attatched. A good clutch is hard to find but once you get that far, let me know and I will give you the info.
It would probably be cheaper to sell your car and buy a manual turbo sunbird unless you are going to do the work yourself.

Cardomain|Myspace

Monday, February 12, 2007 7:11 AM
I am going to do all of this myself. I was afraid that I would need to buy another and swap from there. Fortunately the bird I have is completely rust free and still has a glossy finish so I do want to keep it. Well, swapping with another vehicle might take longer, but at least its the best wiring diagram on the planet - the real deal. Question aside from this, I was thinking of going from the 2.0 turbo motor to the 3.1 and adding boost to that. What would you reccomend, will I really gain all that much?
Tuesday, February 13, 2007 4:00 AM
i would stick with the 2.0 myslef, after mods the 2.0 could probably keep up with a minorly modded 3.1, plus 3.1 performance parts are prolly harder to find that 2.0 .... id say stick with 2.0... plus if you go 3.1... your talkin some $ ... u have to get the engine, trans, throttle cable, wiring harness, ECM.. and i think thats it... maybe more... i dont see it worth it.. but its up to you... and if your going 3.1 might as well go 3.4 same thing basically, but i beleive the 3.4 has a lil more power... .cars with the 3.4s are grand AM GTs and im not sure what else... and i know one of my friends has a 99 malibu with a 3.1.. and then i think cavis and sunbirds went to 3.1s in like 90 sumthin..... but whatever u decide, just giving my opinion, hope it helps, later man

"Hondas are like tampons, every pussy has one!!!"
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search